Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2015, 21:57   #20686
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
...Moto G
It's slightly above your budget at 13k but, I think it's worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As I have repeatedly said, Moto G2 (or MotoG if you can source it). 3k isnt much of an extra spend for peace of mind for the wife!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Moto G second Gen...
If I do stretch the additional 3k or so, how about the Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo? Or the HTC Desire 526G Plus?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th February 2015 at 22:19.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:14   #20687
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If I do stretch the additional 3k or so, how about the Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo?
As soon as I hear Samsung, it's a big no for me. Rest is your call. They make the most sluggish phones in the market and give Android a bad name.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:15   #20688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't buy Samsung S3 neo has lot of complaints. It is also very much laggy after a few weeks of usage.

Even I would suggest you the Motorola G2. It's an excellent phone and snappy
Old 15th February 2015, 22:25   #20689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NO.

Friends don't let friends commit Harakiri.

Search up my (or all other bhpians) endless cribs about the S3.

My battery currently lasts about 4-5 hours when using whatsapp or skype for messaging or just twitter/FBing. The lag has gone away because I installed slimROM (Touchwiz is bad). Your exp may be better courtesy more RAM but I'd remain wary.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:34   #20690
BHPian

My quest for the best phone overall doesn't seem to be over. I was using Lenovo p780 for a year and just upgraded to Moto X gen-1. Both have their merits and demerits.

While P780 is an excellent phone overall as its software package is good enough without hanging issues, out of the world battery performance (you can't do anything productive all day as you will waste time on this device due to is humongous battery life, 2 days battery backup with heavy usage is no easy task) but I was not happy with its performance as it runs on MTK chipset which is nowhere near Qualcomm chipsets. I was using it with my Beat's Sony XSP N1BT cradle receiver which is a gem of a music player due to its capabilities. The touch screen response was below par while using it as a head unit screen and Sony's App Remote app was not working on it. I took the plunge and bought Moto X, honestly speaking I never used such lovely device as it work like an efficient assistant. Active display feature saves lot of time as you can ignore less important things without activating the display, if you are sleeping little far away from phone you can ask it to perform tasks with touchless control feature set.

I can't remember when I was able to sit away from my phone without bothering about missing anything. Performance is also stupendous and it never shows signs of tiredness. But as nothing is perfect in this world, it lacks a sufficient battery backup for extended trips etc. But I am happy as no phone at this price point tells you everything without touching it and can't give you directions with voice commands because nothing feels bad than typing a destination while on the road as you need to pull over.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:43   #20691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I do stretch the additional 3k or so,... HTC Desire 526G Plus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
As soon as I hear Samsung, it's a big no for me. Rest is your call. They make the most sluggish phones in the market and give Android athe name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Don't buy Samsung S3 neo has lot of complaints. It is also very much laggy after a few weeks of usage.

Even I would suggest you the Motorola G2. It's an excellent phone and snappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
NO.

Friends don't let friends commit Harakiri.

Search up my (or all other bhpians) endless cribs about the S3.

My battery currently lasts about 4-5 hours when using whatsapp or skype for messaging or just twitter/FBing. The lag has gone away because I installed slimROM (Touchwiz is bad). Your exp may be better courtesy more RAM but I'd remain wary.
All right, so Samsung is out. How about the HTC Desire 526G Plus?
Old 15th February 2015, 22:55   #20692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. How about the HTC Desire 526G Plus?

Internal storage is 8 GB while Moto G2 has 16 GB. Both have SD card support though. Desire 526G also has smaller and inferior screen as compared to Moto G2.
Old 15th February 2015, 23:05   #20693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Internal storage is 8 GB while Moto G2 has 16 GB. Both have SD card support though. Desire 526G also has smaller and inferior screen as compared to Moto G2.
Memory would not be much of an issue, especially with additional 32 GB support. Neither screen resolution, as long as it's readable in bright light conditions. But what about standby time and durability/peace of mind?
Old 15th February 2015, 23:19   #20694
BHPian

Quote:
All right, so Samsung is out. How about the HTC Desire 526G Plus?
nothing from HTC in that price range is good. desire 816 (Qualcomm) version is the cheapest decent HTC phone. Go with moto. It's tried and tested and a very solid smartphone. You even get nexus fast updates too
Old 16th February 2015, 09:14   #20695
BANNED

My htc One (M7) after the 5.0.2 upgrade is giving me three days plus. Was about two days max earlier.
Old 16th February 2015, 09:29   #20696
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded my wife's S4 to 5.0.1 and boy, it has really changed the UI for good. I love the new
  1. Notification center & icons
  2. Lovely keyboard
  3. Nice dialer keypad
  4. Font has a nice soft feel to it
  5. The animation that runs when the phone is switched off and is put for charging, is a nice touch. The green colour juice flows from the bottom middle of the screen where you connect the charger, to the battery icon. The juice in the battery icon keep moving like there are waves.
  6. Battery has not changed much from Kitkat. At least, it has not worsen.

Overall, a big for the Lollipop upgrade on S4.

Now, I am waiting for the same for my Note-2.
Old 16th February 2015, 10:23   #20697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need to buy a phone for the wife...

(Please recommend by tonight, I'll need to order online ASAP).
I hope its not too late, please check out Lenovo A6000. Best phone at this price range.

Rohan
Old 16th February 2015, 11:25   #20698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what about standby time and durability/peace of mind?
Durability/Peace of mind wise HTC is pretty good. I am using HTC phones since 2012 and overall satisfied about it.
Old 16th February 2015, 13:33   #20699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Durability/Peace of mind wise HTC is pretty good. I am using HTC phones since 2012 and overall satisfied about it.
+1 to that. I'm using it since 2 years too. First Butterfly and then HTC One M7 since a year now. Man, HTC rocks. Totally trouble-free and always zippy. Just stay away from the entire Desire series and you'll be fine.
Old 16th February 2015, 14:11   #20700
Senior - BHPian

The Asus Zenfone experience was a short lived one. Battery life being absolutely rubbish, had to return the phone to Flipkart. In other areas, the phone was superb. They first sent a replacement as a refund on the first attempt was not possible. The phone had this weird problem of coming out of Deep Sleep mode for the cpu. It would operate at a fixed 800Mhz and this lead to fast battery drain, the phone would take time to re charge and the phone feeling warm all the time. It got so bad that it was not possible to talk on the phone as the earpiece was warm. This behaviour was experienced on two units of the Zenfone. The solution to re activate Deep Sleep was charge the phone till 100% with the phone switched off and then power up with the charger still plugged in. Once booted up, unplug. This was annoying. Made a call to Flipkart and they offered a full refund to my bank account. I was so happy with their refund process that I ordered a white Moto G immediately. It took just 3 hours for the money to be credited to my account from the time the logistics executive collected the Asus.

The Motorola experience so far has been superb. I doubt if it is possible to beat the G at its asking price.

Most Viewed