Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 20:55   #20746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just make sure that the battery will not be damaged by 1000mA. Each battery has a limit, upto which juice can be put in safely.
You are the scientist, but I always thought the same as civic-sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Irrespective of the amount of current the charger can output, the actual current drawn will only be what the phone can draw. ... ... ...
Old 20th February 2015, 21:42   #20747
BHPian

Re: 'Nexus 4' losing it's juice faster?

My 'Nexus 4' is losing it's juice faster in the past 2 days. Even on a full charge, it doesn't go beyond 4 - 5 hours. Also, am observing it to be much warmer than before.

What could be the causes for the same? Does this require a change of battery?

Please advise.
Old 20th February 2015, 22:42   #20748
Distinguished - BHPian

I do't know if this applies to all phone batteries, but, apart from time between charges, another symptom is that the battery actually swells. The sides become curved outwards rather than flat. You can even spin an old battery.

I've recently put a new battery in my Motorola Defy. I still have the old one. A quick, single measurement across the middle shows a thickness of 5.14mm for the new one, and 6.48mm for the old one. Quite a difference!
Old 20th February 2015, 23:29   #20749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
another symptom is that the battery actually swells. The sides become curved outwards rather than flat. You can even spin an old battery.
I think that indicates over charging. It used to happen even with the old dumb phones. I have heard of this before, but it never happened to any of my phones.
Old 20th February 2015, 23:36   #20750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My 'Nexus 4' is losing it's juice faster in the past 2 days. Even on a full charge, it doesn't go beyond 4 - 5 hours. Also, am observing it to be much warmer than before.

Please advise.
I'm facing the same issue on my note 3 also for the past few days. It's coming down so fast that it's almost like a landline now. And charging seems to be taking a lot more time. Tried different chargers, no luck. Does the cable make a difference in the charging speed by any chance?
Old 21st February 2015, 00:41   #20751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Oh! I wasn't aware of such a thing. Can you tell me which other charger can be used? Which one do you use?
I am using Nokia Lumia / Nexus 7 charger for fast charging. I usually use Motorola's original charger, as i only need to charge the phone every 17-18 hours.

You can try Samsung / Sony Charger. Just ask your friends or family to lend you one for a day. Just make sure its 1000mA.
Old 21st February 2015, 01:06   #20752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm facing the same issue on my note 3 also for the past few days. It's coming down so fast that it's almost like a landline now. And charging seems to be taking a lot more time. Tried different chargers, no luck. Does the cable make a difference in the charging speed by any chance?
Could also mean the battery is dying. Also check the bloat ware. The lollipop update has some major issues with battery. In fact i have used titanium back up to disable all AT&T updates and i am not going to let AT&T update my phone to lollipop till I AM CONVINCED.

Take out the battery and roll it on a flat surface. If its rolling like my head when my manager gives me instructions you can be sure the battery is kaput.
Old 21st February 2015, 02:21   #20753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think that indicates over charging. It used to happen even with the old dumb phones. I have heard of this before, but it never happened to any of my phones.
I leave it on charge overnight, and use the original charger. Shouldn't the circuitry prevent overcharge?

The battery is three years old.
Old 21st February 2015, 15:01   #20754
BHPian

Guys, a quick question on MI power bank. I had recently purchased the 5200 mah MI power bank. While charging my S3, through the current lite app I could see the charge current provided at 1000 mah. Recently my BIL used the same and he loved it so much that he refused to return it.

So, I bought a new 10400 mah MI power as 5200 was out of stock. When I charge my S3, the current provided is at 500 mah. Again, using the same current lite app.

Could anyone confirm whether or not both power banks should provide the same charging current?
Old 21st February 2015, 15:40   #20755
BHPian

Re: 'Nexus 4' losing it's juice faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Please advise.
Surprise! Surprise! I uninstall the facebook app, and everything looks good.
Back to the past normal. Hope, it stays this way.

May be, the last update of facebook app has screwed up the performance.
Old 22nd February 2015, 01:54   #20756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
This is really odd. I have a note 3 and have a been noticing this for the last week or so. Cleanmaster has constantly been complaining about Facebook, that could be the problem. Its also been heating up a lot more during charge and normal usage also.

And I thought we were to expect these problems only after the lollipop update.
Old 22nd February 2015, 13:06   #20757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Singh View Post
I have been using Redmi 1S from Xiaomi for a while now, am pretty impressed with its performance. For your budget, I would suggest a Redmi Note 4G available @ Rs. 9999/-.
It will tick all your needs full & some more.
I suggest to go for moto g gen 1 . you will get it below 10 k it has a crisper display than the that of the gen 2 and it has a massive developer support to back it if ever Motorola decides to abandon it . A YU yureka is also a good choice .
Old 22nd February 2015, 23:27   #20758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I leave it on charge overnight, and use the original charger. Shouldn't the circuitry prevent overcharge?
That seems to be the problem. Happened to a lot of people who did this, irrespective of brand. I always charge for a few hours and disconnect when full charge is reached. Also, use only the sockets which are connected through your inverter to protect against sudden surges.

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd February 2015 at 23:30.
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:21   #20759
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to use the phone as an alarm clock, so the display would be on, albeit very dim, all through the night. I still use the alarm, but not the display. I'll change the charging habits and see how things go, although, as the battery is new, I guess I won't notice anything for quite a while. Is three years a bad life for an L-ION battery?
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:40   #20760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That seems to be the problem. Happened to a lot of people who did this, irrespective of brand. I always charge for a few hours and disconnect when full charge is reached. Also, use only the sockets which are connected through your inverter to protect against sudden surges.
Agreed. But a busted battery (500-1000?) is a small price to pay for three years of convenience!

Quote:
I used to use the phone as an alarm clock, so the display would be on, albeit very dim, all through the night. I still use the alarm, but not the display. I'll change the charging habits and see how things go, although, as the battery is new, I guess I won't notice anything for quite a while. Is three years a bad life for an L-ION battery?
Its awesome. My defy's battery swelled in 2 years as well.

Keeping it charging works only for low drain devices. If I did take S3 immediately off charge at night, it would lose ~3-5% every hour with Skype/Whatsapp/Twitter/Facebook etc running nonstop. The battery may not bloat but more recharge cycles would definitely erode the backup life of the battery. My S3 battery has already been through ~750 charge cycles (mostly partial) in the one year I've owned it. I'd rather charge it five times in a day and keep it charging (and throw away the battery in 1.5 years) than head out and run out of juice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks