Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 16:15   #20566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you are trying to login into your account during first boot then you won't see the SMS notification or can't access the SMS till you login or finish up the boot process.

To overcome such situation, Google provides facility of preset backup codes which you can generate and note down at some safe place. In case of the situation like above, you can use one of the unused backup code. You can not use the backup code which you have already used.

Generate your backup codes by visiting this link : https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsAuthConfig
The update did a factory reset and I can't believe that Google hasn't figured out that you can't do a sms verification if the code is sent to the phone that is being set up. The way to get the code is to get the code by sms, switch off and restart the phone then enter the code after you type in your password. I had to waste time reinstalling the apps, calling the banks and setting up all the other accounts. I hope it's worth the trouble, the nexus 7 lollipop update is hopeless.
Old 30th January 2015, 18:42   #20567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The update did a factory reset and I can't believe that Google hasn't figured out that you can't do a sms verification if the code is sent to the phone that is being set up.
You may opt for some other suitable security type if SMS system doesn't suit you: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/features.html

Phone should be in full working condition for the proper functioning of SMS verification.
Old 30th January 2015, 18:48   #20568
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you delete individual call log entries in Android 5.0.1? I do not understand why did google mess up basic functions present since the very first mobile handsets came into existence.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:03   #20569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can you delete individual call log entries in Android 5.0.1? I do not understand why did google mess up basic functions present since the very first mobile handsets came into existence.
Again no need to curse Google, no one screwed anything.
you can delete individual logs from recent call list in the 5.x.

Open 'Recent', tap the call you want to delete, now two options will appear at bottom of that call, choose 'Details'. There you can find 'delete' icon at top right corner.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:42   #20570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Again no need to curse Google, no one screwed anything.
you can delete individual logs from recent call list in the 5.x.

Open 'Recent', tap the call you want to delete, now two options will appear at bottom of that call, choose 'Details'. There you can find 'delete' icon at top right corner.
For some weird reason there is no such option that is appearing in my Nexus 5 running on 5.0.1. Please help.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:53   #20571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may opt for some other suitable security type if SMS system doesn't suit you: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/features.html

Phone should be in full working condition for the proper functioning of SMS verification.
I typed the correct password, Google shouldn't be doing an sms verification when the user is not in a position to read the code. What other suitable type, it's either a call or sms, both are out of the question when restarting the phone. Sending an email shouldn't be too hard. I am talking about how the update happened, it was rubbish of they couldn't get it right the third time.
Old 30th January 2015, 20:08   #20572
BHPian

Quote:
For some weird reason there is no such option that is appearing in my Nexus 5 running on 5.0.1. Please help.
Look at these screenshots, these should help:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-01.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-02.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I typed the correct password, Google shouldn't be doing an sms verification when the user is not in a position to read the code.
Maybe your Gmail account is not that important for you but it is for many others, thats why multi-step verification exist, yet the accounts are hacked. If the step is so annoying for you then you should disable the verification step in first place. Please DO READ the FAQs how the verification system works before opting for any of the verification step.

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/#tab=how-it-works

Google is supposed to verify if the account is being accessed on a new, unknown or refreshed system thats how such steps should work. If there is no need to ask the code then whats the sense of existence of this system in first place? Just disable it, simple.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 30th January 2015 at 20:33.
Old 30th January 2015, 20:17   #20573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Look at these screenshots, these should help:
Haha. Sir I know these steps. But if I click on an entry in my call lists under recents, it just shows me all the times I have called or messaged that person. And there are options in the top right for placing it on home screen on share. No option like what you have shown above. Earlier I used to get the option exactly like you showed above. Have I changed some setting by mistake?
Old 30th January 2015, 20:24   #20574
BHPian

Quote:
Haha. Sir I know these steps. But if I click on an entry in my call lists under recents, it just shows me all the times I have called or messaged that person. And there are options in the top right for placing it on home screen on share. No option like what you have shown above. Earlier I used to get the option exactly like you showed above. Have I changed some setting by mistake?
Where are you taping? On the name or on the icon/picture shown at left side? The above screenshots I posted were taken by me in my phone just now and its working absolutely fine for me.

Post screenshot of what you are seeing, that will help in understanding the issue better. I am guessing you are not taping on the contact name, rather taping the contact picture/icon.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 30th January 2015 at 20:26.
Old 30th January 2015, 20:41   #20575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Post screenshot of what you are seeing, that will help in understanding the issue better. I am guessing you are not taping on the contact name, rather taping the contact picture/icon.
Thank you so much. I was tapping on the icon rather than the name.
Old 31st January 2015, 00:02   #20576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
both motoE and redmi1S are exceptionally VFM and pretty much lag free.

MotoEis just a bit heavier and a little compact.

Redmi has an excellent camera for the price.

Care to explain the boldfaced advise u got?
Lots of people told me that the phone overheats a lot. Also the fact that it still has JB and no certainty about future OS updates.

The phone will be used for WhatsApp, Emails, Gaana.com, Twitter, Instagram and once in a while Facebook and Snapchat. Won't be playing a single game on it.
Old 31st January 2015, 06:41   #20577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Lots of people told me that the phone overheats a lot. Also the fact that it still has JB and no certainty about future OS updates.

The phone will be used for WhatsApp, Emails, Gaana.com, Twitter, Instagram and once in a while Facebook and Snapchat. Won't be playing a single game on it.
If you're going to use the phone for WhatsApp, Emails, etc then the OS on the phone, whether the phone has Jellybean or KitKat shouldn't matter

FWIW, I had the RedMi 1S, the first thing I did was install Paranoid Android KitKat ROM. Nowadays even fully function Lollipop ROMs are out and they are very reliable to use.

The heating problem used to occur under heavy usage they said. If you're going to not play games on it then you shouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 31st January 2015 at 06:59.
Old 31st January 2015, 06:50   #20578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
If you're going to use the phone for WhatsApp, Emails, etc then the OS on the phone, whether the phone has Jellybean or KitKat

FWIW, I had the RedMi 1S, the first thing I did was install Paranoid Android KitKat ROM. Nowadays even fully function Lollipop ROMs are out and they are very reliable to use.

The heating problem used to occur under heavy usage they said. If you're going to not play games on it then you shouldn't worry about it.
You sir, nailed it perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post

Again, I understand that the average user doesnt get much bothered (three of my non tech savvy relatives) after the recent updates.

Regarding JB - let me ask you a basic question:
Does the OS version matter or does the interface fluidity / multi-tasking? Ideally it should be a MotoE but its camera is crap.

IMHO you dont even need to bother with ROMs - stock MIUI is quite rich and fairly lag free.

I'd personally suggest the redmi note4g if u can extend the budget. Its decent and has enough RAM to take all sorts of apps (which is what matters for lag free performance!) besides a ginormous battery.
Old 31st January 2015, 07:09   #20579
BHPian

If budget can be extended to buy Redmi note, then oppo will be real value for money. Invites are available in the forum.
Old 31st January 2015, 12:28   #20580
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any reviews of Asus Zenfone 4 A400CXG?

Looking for a basic smartphone - should handle calls/sms well. Other uses will be whatsapp/email and photo/video etc.

Most Viewed