Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:39   #20491
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But why not try and preserve the user data upfront, and format only if required? Unless he's rooting his phone and using Titanium backup, he'll lose enough app data that'll make it really annoying.
Everything can be backed up easily without any root. Most of the apps can store data online and data from rest of the few apps can be extracted easily and backed-up somewhere else.

For example FuelLog is one app where I don't know it's data storage location. But there is option to export the data in CSV and XLS files. Later when I reinstall the app, I import the data and all is good again. I also take backup of whole phone storage to be safe.

Another example offline map data of Here maps or Sygic maps can again be put back into their respective data folders. Its headache to identify such data and take backups manually but its not something which we have to do frequently. And the efforts are well paid if the data is really that precious for the user.

Some steps can't be reverted back in the case of OTA update like formatting prior to the update. Its not necessary that the upgradations process removes all the older files, later any of the older file form the older OS version may create problems yet we won't be able to diagnose whats the cause of the issue. Usually issues are performance related.

I don't prefer to 'overwrite' the upgrade over previous version, be it computer or mobile phone. In case of mobile we can't clean up the full OS but atleast can clean up the modifications made by us during usage of the device by performing factory reset.

Upgradation process may leave up some temporary or cached up files behind so a factory reset after the upgrade process is also recommended.
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:49   #20492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I just received a notification on my MotoG (1stGen) for Lollipop update. The download is 356MB and SLOOOWW.
Once you're done installing it, please do give us a review!
Old 23rd January 2015, 13:16   #20493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Everything can be backed up easily without any root. Most of the apps can store data online and data from rest of the few apps can be extracted easily and backed-up somewhere else.
Interesting.

The process you described is a lot of work. I'd rather not upgrade my phone in that case ... I'm lazy!

With ~90-100 apps on my phone currently, I don't bother about any such effort. I only install root-able ROMs and simply restore everything in 15-20 min using titanium backup. When one click does it, why do anything else?

Has anyone used this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup - it seems to be a good free TB replacement.
Old 23rd January 2015, 14:54   #20494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Has anyone used this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup - it seems to be a good free TB replacement.
This program is by koush, a well known name in Android circles. An ex-cynogen employee who is also the man behind apps like cwm, allcast, rom manager, etc.

Tried this once. Works effortlessly on rooted devices. But to backup straight devices, we need to install desktop app too on PC and link the device to PC. But I am not sure whether this will work for lollipop!
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:01   #20495
Senior - BHPian

I just checked and came to know the Lollipop update is available on my Moto G (1st gen). Am at work now, will try the update at home later today and update.
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:15   #20496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I just checked and came to know the Lollipop update is available on my Moto G (1st gen). Am at work now, will try the update at home later today and update.
Yup, my brother also got the Moto G update this morning.

Also, I think we can expect more than just the release of the Mi4 on January 28th.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture.jpg
Old 23rd January 2015, 16:04   #20497
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a MotoG 1st gen. Got the notification for Lollipop update today around 11:30am. Download to Installation took about 1 hour. Did not backup anything but everything is working fine post update. Can't say anything about battery life as of now.
Old 23rd January 2015, 17:04   #20498
BHPian

Lollipop - Yay I have lock-screen torch now (ala iPhone)! Nothing else has "really" changed :|

I had expected to be able to get rid of "Power Toggles" and use the new toggles but Google still won't let you customize those and add other options.

Plenty of hype for nothing.
Old 23rd January 2015, 22:46   #20499
BHPian

I got the update this morning. Everything is fine except that i miss the Google sync on and off button. Anyone find it?
Old 24th January 2015, 17:23   #20500
Senior - BHPian

Is Android lollipop out for Moto G2 as well?
Old 24th January 2015, 17:37   #20501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes, it is.

Motorola is rolling the update out in phases, so you might not have received it yet.
Old 24th January 2015, 17:49   #20502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Check for the updates manually. Popup may not be showing up..
Old 24th January 2015, 19:14   #20503
BHPian

I have manually checked for lollipop update for my MOTO G2 and installed yesterday. Overall it is having more pros than cons. We have upgraded our MOTO G 1st gen as well to lollipop through manual mode.
Old 24th January 2015, 22:41   #20504
BHPian

Updated my mom's Moto G2 to lollipop. Wasn't very impressed although the g2 was snappy and the ui is crisp. The battery life so far seems OK. Now I need to reteach my mum how to use it
Old 25th January 2015, 15:05   #20505
Senior - BHPian

I checked manually for update in moto g2 by going into settings-about-software updates but it says your software is upto date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks