Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2015, 15:38   #20581
BHPian

Android 5.0.2 on Moto G 1st Gen??

Just upgraded my 1st Gen MotoG to Lolipop 5.0.2 OTA

Loving the new interface, but the phone has lost its snappy feel. Almost feels sluggish

Any body else feeling the same way?
Is the hardware too old or slow to smoothly run Lolipop?
Is there a way I could revert back to Kitkat 4.4.4?
Old 31st January 2015, 16:22   #20582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Just upgraded my 1st Gen MotoG to Lolipop 5.0.2 OTA

Loving the new interface, but the phone has lost its snappy feel. Almost feels sluggish

Any body else feeling the same way?
Is the hardware too old or slow to smoothly run Lolipop?
Is there a way I could revert back to Kitkat 4.4.4?
What I did was, after reading up in few forums, I took the necessary backup of photos, videos, contacts etc and did a hard reset update. And downloaded all the apps I use with Lollipop as my core OS instead of kitkat. It is working pretty smooth.
Old 31st January 2015, 16:32   #20583
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Interesting.

I see a lot of mixed responses to the new Lollipop update for the Moto G. Some say its faster, others say its not.

Has anyone encountered any bugs? Is the memory leak issue that's plaguing the Nexus phones appearing on the Moto?
Old 31st January 2015, 16:38   #20584
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What I did was, after reading up in few forums, I took the necessary backup of photos, videos, contacts etc and did a hard reset update. And downloaded all the apps I use with Lollipop as my core OS instead of kitkat. It is working pretty smooth.
I too updated a few days back. It feels a lot smoother and a little bit fast too. Battery life is a little bit better. The only app that has slowed down is the dialer app. By the way i use the GEL instead of the stock launcher. I also deleted the cache partition just after the update from the recovery menu.
Old 31st January 2015, 16:54   #20585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What is a Hard Reset update? How can I do it?

After updating to Lolipop, I have since updated all my apps and restarted the device. But still feels slow. Its not unusable, but definitely slower than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Interesting.

I see a lot of mixed responses to the new Lollipop update for the Moto G. Some say its faster, others say its not.

Has anyone encountered any bugs? Is the memory leak issue that's plaguing the Nexus phones appearing on the Moto?
Don't know if its a bug or not, but it did hang once and became totally unresponsive. I had to do a long press of the power button to poweroff. Working fine since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
I too updated a few days back. It feels a lot smoother and a little bit fast too. Battery life is a little bit better. The only app that has slowed down is the dialer app. By the way i use the GEL instead of the stock launcher. I also deleted the cache partition just after the update from the recovery menu.
Should I try to delete the cache partition? How to access the recovery menu? Whats GEL?
Old 31st January 2015, 16:58   #20586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Guys any reviews of Asus Zenfone 4 A400CXG?

Looking for a basic smartphone - should handle calls/sms well. Other uses will be whatsapp/email and photo/video etc.
Bought the asus zenfone 4 for my mom. Its pretty VFM and underrated too.
And the best part is, they regularly push updates to the phone, something that I am yet to see happen to HTC 500 and moto e that we have in the family.
Old 31st January 2015, 17:03   #20587
BHPian

Quote:
Should I try to delete the cache partition? How to access the recovery menu? Whats GEL?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...droid-t3001206

Refer to the first post in this XDA thread for deleting the cache partition. GEL stands for Google Experience Launcher the default launcher bundled with nexus devices. You can download from play store.
Old 31st January 2015, 17:31   #20588
BHPian

Quote:

Refer to the first post in this XDA thread for deleting the cache partition. GEL stands for Google Experience Launcher the default launcher bundled with nexus devices. You can download from play store.
Where's the 'Thanks Button' when you need one!

Quote:

Tried this.. got to the 'wipe cache partition' option and pressed the power button.

and this is whats shows on the screen:

qe 0/1
-- Wiping cache...
Formatting /cache...

and the device has since been stuck with this screen.. been almost 5mins

phs help!

Last edited by Eddy : 1st February 2015 at 01:11. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 31st January 2015, 18:24   #20589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Lots of people told me that the phone overheats a lot. Also the fact that it still has JB and no certainty about future OS updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
If you're going to use the phone for WhatsApp, Emails, etc then the OS on the phone, whether the phone has Jellybean or KitKat shouldn't matter
There is nothing wrong with Jelly Bean. It's not as if these upgrades are bringing us some super new improvement. You are only going to buy Android if you like Android, and, unless some very specific fix or new facility is there for you, then I wouldn't worry about upgrades at all.

In fact, I am suffering a bit from Asus having upgraded my Fonepad from JB to Kitkat, as there are restrictions on Apps that suit Google, but don't suit me. As per my previous post, in pratice it is probably not a big deal, but, with hindsight (always the best sort!) I'd avoid Kitkat etc unless it can be easily rooted and one is willing to do that.

(It's not all bad: the KK camera on the phone pad seems to have been updated to something more useful)

Microsoft taught us to keep our tongues hanging out for upgrades (while they keep their tongues hanging out for our money) and this bad habit has now become part of the "free" software world. Mozilla have adopted it for Firefox like some boring old uncle who only knows one joke and can't stop telling it.

Signed,

Boring Old Uncle Thad,
who keeps going on about upgrades

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st January 2015 at 18:26.
Old 31st January 2015, 19:01   #20590
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My Wife's Nexus 7 tablet is still running the Android 4.2.1 which it came with. I disabled updates the day it was bought. It works fine for her.
Old 31st January 2015, 19:13   #20591
BHPian

I guess I'll sit this one out, until Moto releases the next bug fix update.

5.0.3 anyone?
Old 31st January 2015, 19:46   #20592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I guess I'll sit this one out, until Moto releases the next bug fix update.

5.0.3 anyone?
Major refined release will be 5.1.x which is supposed to come in mid of this year or later.
Old 31st January 2015, 20:07   #20593
BHPian

Quote:
Tried this.. got to the 'wipe cache partition' option and pressed the power button.

and this is whats shows on the screen:

qe 0/1
-- Wiping cache...
Formatting /cache...

and the device has since been stuck with this screen.. been almost 5mins

phs help!
Is it working? By Hard Reset meant factory reset. There are many links on Moto as well as XDa forums. But take data backup before you do it.
Old 31st January 2015, 21:30   #20594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Major refined release will be 5.1.x which is supposed to come in mid of this year or later.
I do hope that Google won't keep us waiting that long, since the memory leak issue has already been marked as 'fixed, and ready for future release' in the Issue tracker.
Old 1st February 2015, 10:27   #20595
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Good. I have my doubts about any x.0! It is a major rewrite so liable to have some rough corners. Then quickly a.b.01 02 etc. come out as emergency fixes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks