Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 09:21   #20446
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A restart solved it. Probably accelerometer stopped responding to the OS. CM is still the amateur OS, I guess.
More issues with Oneplus (or Cyanogen, if you may):

I lost all my photos and videos just like that. I plugged in a USB OTG to the phone and was copying photos and videos with the built in file manager, when I realized that the USB drive is just 16GB. Decided to cancel the copy only to realize that there is no cancel button on the dialog. Decided to pull the USB out, and as expected it gave some error and stopped. Now the horror! The entire Camera folder in the phone is missing. All the photos and videos were gone, and my phone shows 55GB of space free.

I don't want to use any undelete software as I would have to root it, which is prohibited by my company's BYOD policy.
Old 21st January 2015, 09:31   #20447
BHPian

Quote:
I lost all my photos and videos just like that.
I suggest you to opt for auto-backup feature into your google account in android. It back ups your data(including photos n videos) on cloud. You can set this to happen only on wi-fi.
Old 21st January 2015, 09:35   #20448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I suggest you to opt for auto-backup feature into your google account in android. It back ups your data(including photos n videos) on cloud. You can set this to happen only on wi-fi.
I had done that. My Onedrive app backs them up. In this occasion, the videos were huge. There were several 4K* videos totaling 27GB and even with my 40GB MTS data plan, it was struggling to upload everything.

I have now installed dumpster. If something like this happens again, I hope dumpster would be of help.

* 6min of 4K video was approximately 2GB.
Old 21st January 2015, 10:02   #20449
BHPian

Quote:
I am not talking about your main issue but about the video size, Mobile cams record in MP4 format and take lot of space. If you happen to record some heavy videos then its better idea to convert them to AVI or even compressed MKV fromat to save lot of space without compromising quality. You can even reduce the bytes-per-minute and can save much more space on the cost of little bit quality compromise. Here you don't need to downsize the frame size of the video, its just a compression method. Freemake Video Converter is a free tool for PC. Similarly you can find some tools for Android phone too or even can use some camera app which allows to set different compression method while recording and saving videos.
Old 21st January 2015, 10:09   #20450
BHPian

Quote:
I had done that. My Onedrive app backs them up. In this occasion, the videos were huge. There were several 4K* videos totaling 27GB and even with my 40GB MTS data plan, it was struggling to upload everything.

I have now installed dumpster. If something like this happens again, I hope dumpster would be of help.

I use bittorrent sync on all androids and iPhones in family to backup photos/videos to my home server every time they are on the home Wifi network. I really love the solution. We don't need any data connection and we won't run out of space, its like our personal cloud. Also security is top notch as no data is ever stored on a remote server.
Old 21st January 2015, 10:44   #20451
BHPian

Re: General query on apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
How to ascertain that an app is genuine?

For example, a bank says download our app from Google playstore. How do I know if the link or the search results in playstore are genuine. If it is a counterfeit app that I am downloading and logging onto, then all my credentials will be stolen in the first attempt itself.

Fordday.
Go to the banks (or whichever) website on the browser. Usually they have links to their android/ios/windows apps. Click on them and you should get a popup to open the link using store app (if it is not set as default at least in android). This should open up the app page for installation in the store. I find this the safest way to ensure that app is genuine (although I understand that, if hacked, even this can set to a fake app).
Old 21st January 2015, 13:16   #20452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I am not talking about your main issue but about the video size, Mobile cams record in MP4 format and take lot of space. If you happen to record some heavy videos then its better idea to convert them to AVI or even compressed MKV fromat to save lot of space without compromising quality. You can even reduce the bytes-per-minute and can save much more space on the cost of little bit quality compromise. Here you don't need to downsize the frame size of the video, its just a compression method. Freemake Video Converter is a free tool for PC. Similarly you can find some tools for Android phone too or even can use some camera app which allows to set different compression method while recording and saving videos.
I'll try that. I found this app called Media Converter in play store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I use bittorrent sync on all androids and iPhones in family to backup photos/videos to my home server every time they are on the home Wifi network. I really love the solution. We don't need any data connection and we won't run out of space, its like our personal cloud. Also security is top notch as no data is ever stored on a remote server.
Thanks for the tip. Very interesting. So do you use a NAS to backup? Would it work with cheaper ones like WD Mycloud?
Old 21st January 2015, 13:24   #20453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More issues with Oneplus (or Cyanogen, if you may):

I lost all my photos and videos just like that. I plugged in a USB OTG to the phone and was copying photos and videos with the built in file manager, when I realized that the USB drive is just 16GB. Decided to cancel the copy only to realize that there is no cancel button on the dialog. Decided to pull the USB out, and as expected it gave some error and stopped. Now the horror! The entire Camera folder in the phone is missing. All the photos and videos were gone, and my phone shows 55GB of space free.

I don't want to use any undelete software as I would have to root it, which is prohibited by my company's BYOD policy.
Once you root it, recover the files and then unroot it, how would they ever know? The BYOD policy shouldnt care how many times a ROM has been flashed (no different from a repair / sw upgrade!), but only whether the device is rooted, right?
Old 21st January 2015, 13:45   #20454
BANNED

I think there is a counter which shows the rooting history. So unless you are a real Guru who can totally rewrite the ROM the flag will be there.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:09   #20455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Once you root it, recover the files and then unroot it, how would they ever know? The BYOD policy shouldnt care how many times a ROM has been flashed (no different from a repair / sw upgrade!), but only whether the device is rooted, right?
I am not scared of rooting. I had done that in my S3 before. But since this device is on BYOD and since the policy prohibits rooting, I am just holding off.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:28   #20456
BHPian

Through ODIN one can reset the flash counter! Did you do a Google search for undelete app without requiring root privilege?
Old 21st January 2015, 14:36   #20457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
If device has E-Fuse, MDM that manages BYOD will permanently block the device (depends on configuration deployed by IT).

Flashing will blow E-Fuse, rooting also can do that if off-the-shelf rooting tools are used.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:38   #20458
BHPian

Quote:
I'll try that. I found this app called Media Converter in play store.

Thanks for the tip. Very interesting. So do you use a NAS to backup? Would it work with cheaper ones like WD Mycloud?
I am running an always-on Ubuntu server at home (for xbmc mysql/plex/calibre/bittorrent sync). The bittorrent sync folders are also included in the "Back-in-time" backup. I don't use WD cloud, but after a bit of googling around, I think installing Bittorrent sync server on WD mycloud is indeed possible to achieve. Please go through the post.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Clo...ws/td-p/655255
Old 21st January 2015, 22:45   #20459
Distinguished - BHPian

No Name contacts

I have a few contacts in my Nexus 4 contact list which do not have any name . But upon opening the contact it shows only whatsapp icon beside the number. These are the members of the group where i am/was a part of. But i had not added them to my contact list so i do not know how they got added.

I had manually deleted these contacts once but they came back after i got my phone back from service. Interesting thing is these contacts are not present in my Google account.

Want to know where these no name contacts are stored and how to delete them permanently so that they do not keep coming back

Attached is the screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150104142612.png  

Old 21st January 2015, 23:45   #20460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I
Want to know where these no name contacts are stored and how to delete them permanently so that they do not keep coming back
Under contacts, change display from 'all' to 'google'. That should hide contacts associated with any other accounts - only google account contacts will be displayed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks