Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 08:36   #19696
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

On camera aspect, one should surely look at Sony phones. I have been really impressed by their camera quality. Have been using one for a year now. Extremely pleased with both camera and also voice quality.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th December 2014 at 15:38. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old 11th November 2014, 08:54   #19697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^So I've heard. But have you personally compared it with Mi3 and similar cameras? Xiaomi and even some reviews created much hype about the Mi3 camera; but it turned out to be below par. Hope the One camera lives up to expectations. Just hope they get the pricing right to make me want to shift over. Then there is the issue of availability. Any ideas on how to get an invite when launched in India?
My team mate has one. Very nice device. Well made and the camera delivers as promised. Its at par with HTC one or the iphones in low light. Its the team's go to evening dinner party camera now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On camera aspect, one should surely look at Sony phones. I have been really impressed by their camera camera quality. Have been using one for a year now. Extremely pleased with both camera and also voice quality.
Which one boss?
Old 11th November 2014, 11:23   #19698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On camera aspect, one should surely look at Sony phones. I have been really impressed by their camera camera quality. Have been using one for a year now. Extremely pleased with both camera and also voice quality.

Thats NOT true for all Sony phones, trust me. So which ones are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My team mate has one. Very nice device. Well made and the camera delivers as promised. Its at par with HTC one or the iphones in low light. Its the team's go to evening dinner party camera now

Which one boss?
Thanks, that's reassuring. Hoping it's launched soon. One big con for me is the size. Hate carrying such huge phones. And being single SIM with non removable memory and battery is the other big compromise.
Old 11th November 2014, 11:44   #19699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Any personal reviews about the Android One phones? I am planning to pick up the Spice Dream Uno, but I would like to know from users about any negatives about the cust service from Spice mobiles and if there are any other good/better phones in the same range. I like the fact that updates are promised for 2 years and that the experience is closed to the stock Android.
I have purchased Spice Dream Uno for my wife, a month back. I will sum it up in one line - Android One is a poor man's Nexus.

When I started using the phone, I just couldn't put it down - it was that good.

It is one of the best all round phones in 6K price range. MotoE has a better battery life, Redmi1S has a better camera - but Android One gives you good all round performance.

Stock Android experience is not that user friendly and good looking, when compared to phones with manufacturer specific skins on top of Android. But once you get used to using stock Android, you wouldn't want to go back to anything else.

I haven't visited Spice customer care till now, and frankly speaking - it doesn't matter for such a low cost phone.

The handset is google certified, hence I went for it. I like to think of Spice / Micromax / Karbonn as the distributors, not manufacturers of Android One phones.

Rohan
Old 11th November 2014, 13:12   #19700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats NOT true for all Sony phones, trust me. So which ones are you talking about?
I am using Xperia ZR for a year now. Very satisfied with the camera. Yes I did not mean all phones. Since mid to upper mid segment phones were being considered in that post, I suggested to check the equivalent Sony phones.
Old 11th November 2014, 13:28   #19701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am using Xperia ZR for a year now. Very satisfied with the camera. Yes I did not mean all phones. Since mid to upper mid segment phones were being considered in that post, I suggested to check the equivalent Sony phones.
True. For the same segment, Sony cameras are much better. From personal experience with the x1,x10, ion, z1, t2 ultra, and exclusive usage of Sony for almost 10 years now, I have not been satisfied with any other phones cameras.
Old 11th November 2014, 19:09   #19702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
You've chosen the best looking Android One phone of the lot, the Spice Uno. The Android One phones are decent devices (from what I gathered fiddling with all three brand devices at a marketing event) , but don't offer any "oomph" neither in the camera section nor in the design section. If I were you, I'd buy the Redmi eyes closed - it's a great VFM phone, but if you're looking for stock android experience (without investing time in rooting or flashing), you could go for the Android One devices.

Another option is the Huawei Honor Holly at 6999, but it has a 5" screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Android One is a poor man's Nexus.

It is one of the best all round phones in 6K price range.
Thanks mates! I will order it tonight.

P
Old 11th November 2014, 22:19   #19703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I won't comment on upper end phones, but even in the mid range, Sony does have disappointing cameras, at least on some models. For eg. the camera on Xperia SP is significantly poorer in low light han even a 2011 Xperia ray. And the SP is a newer and more expensive model (mid range... or at least it was). Also, another mid ranger, Xperia L, has a poor cam, if hundreds of reviews are to be believed.

What I'm saying is that nobody should buy just any Sony model with the assumption that they will get a class leading camera. Anyway, I feel Sony phones are no longer attractive in the low to mid range at least. Software quality and update history are BAD. And other manufacturers like Xiaomi, etc., are using Sony cams on their models. Then there are those like the Lumia 730 that beat all (or most?) other cameras in its price range.

Last edited by Raccoon : 11th November 2014 at 22:28.
Old 11th November 2014, 22:25   #19704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I'm saying is that nobody should buy just any Sony model with the assumption that they will get a class leading camera.
Of course. No blind purchases. I just meant to consider.

Quote:
Anyway, I feel Sony phones are no longer attractive in the low to mid range at least. Software quality and update history are BAD. And other manufacturers like Xiaomi, etc., are using Sony cams on their models. Then there are those like the Lumia 730 that beat all (or most) other cameras in its price range.
One needs to check all before deciding. I was particularly happy with ZR because I got a flagship hardware based phone with a lower specced display (which I was OK with). That brought the price down to about 25-27K of an other wise 35K product. Camera was also very good.
Old 12th November 2014, 11:43   #19705
BHPian

Motorola beat Google in it's own game. Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA for Moto G 2014 is now rolling out in USA.
Old 12th November 2014, 11:57   #19706
Distinguished - BHPian

I've picked up an Android tablet for casual use, and want to keep my ebook collection (PDFs, EPUB) etc. synced between my Windows desktop and the tablet. More specifically, when I add something to my desktop, I should be able to quickly and easily replicate that onto the tablet. (Something like what SyncToy does for folders/shares).

Does anyone know of a good file sync utility that can be used for this? File syncing can occur via either USB, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, I'm not particular.
Old 12th November 2014, 12:53   #19707
Distinguished - BHPian

Wasn't the android update to 5.0 supposed to start rolling out today for Nexus devices?
Old 12th November 2014, 13:14   #19708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Motorola beat Google in it's own game. Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA for Moto G 2014 is now rolling out in USA.

It's just the soak test, not the official OTA.

Still, the update is coming very soon.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:22   #19709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
It's just the soak test, not the official OTA.

Still, the update is coming very soon.
well, it's not the soak test, people who have not applied for soak test have also got the OTA.

Soak test was leaked for Moto X 2014, for Moto G it's the real thing.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:03   #19710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Wasn't the android update to 5.0 supposed to start rolling out today for Nexus devices?
Yea, today *their* time. The rest of the world will have to wait for them to wake and get to their offices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks