Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 16:39   #19561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You know me na. First the case and the matte screenguard, then I will buy the phone.

Oh and I need to sell the S3 also.
Case I ordered from the USA.

Matte screen guards available.

Phone is available.

S3 ? Keep it ! No use selling it - do keedas.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:47   #19562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you are really concerned even little bit on this matter then please download some network tracing tool in your phone running MIUI and check yourself to believe whats really happening .

Indian Air Force warns against using Xiaomi phones

Chinese Smartphones a Security Threat, says Indian Air Force - Published: 19th Oct 2014
Just to call for some re-assessments! *cough cough*

What had I said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thirdly, this was July 31, 2014. They have since turned it off on Aug 10th. And now their post, three months later says that any such cloud services will be moved to third party servers like Akamai / AWS. Your post does not have an up to date network tracing report!

Unless you have proof that their current softwares are still "stealing" user data *today* (rather post Aug 10th), I think we need to give the company the benefit of doubt.

OR run a diagnostic tool.
At the end of the day, I appreciate the honesty with which MI is engaging and I would like to give them a chance. Clearly you didn't even dissect Hugo's statement but rejected it outright, convinced of MI's wrongdoing. Unless you have fresh watertight proof of any (criminal) wrongdoing, we should avoid unnecessary negativity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
IAF has confirmed that their advisory regarding Xiaomi phones is a few months old.

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...es-iaf/1302741
Thanks puneet!

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...es-iaf/1302741
The recent privacy scare regarding Xiaomi smartphones was just a hype after all as the Indian Air Force (IAF) on Tuesday clarified to IndianExpress.com that the said advisory against using phones from this Chinese brand was about “four to five months old”. That would mean the alert was from before the Xiaomi started selling its phones in India.

The Sunday Standard (part of The New Indian Express Group) had on October 19 reported that IAF had issued an alert with ‘medium’ severity rating against the use of Xiaomi smartphones on account of ‘spying’. IndianExpress.com had reported that the IAF alert might have been based on an old report by software security firm F-Secure, which has since been corrected.

“The advisory itself is about four months old. The strange thing is that it has now been pulled out by the media. No new notification has been issued by IAF recently regarding the use of Xiaomi smartphones. The advisory should not be misunderstood as a ban. There are no restrictions in IAF regarding the use of smartphones from any brand as it is totally for personal usage,” said an officer in the Western Command.

Citing the reason for the advisory he said: “IAF doesn’t keep track of the smartphone market and neither does it recommend any particular brand to its personnel. It was more like a cautionary not... the advisory is nothing serious.” He said similar advisories had been issued before.

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th October 2014 at 21:49.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:59   #19563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Oh My god. The S3 lags like anything. I am on the verge of throwing it out and picking up the new 2014 Moto X.
Load CM on your S3. The phone becomes very decently usable. Its officially supported so all you have to do it plug into your laptop and couple of clicks on the phone, couple on the laptop. Super easy.

I am using it on mine and its fantastic. You will delay your phone purchase by 6 months at least.

Edit: If you decide to try CM and need any help, feel free to drop me a PM.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 29th October 2014 at 22:01.
Old 29th October 2014, 23:56   #19564
BHPian

Moto G or Zenfone 5

Folks,

A quandary here -Moto G (2nd gen) 16 GB or Zenfone 5 16 GB ? (What is the disadvantage with 8 GB? - may go with 8 GB too if the reviews are favourable ) .

Among others, would personally prefer a better camera.

The reviews are somewhat , ummm, confusing

http://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/mot...101sg3oh23.php

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2014/0...ims-for-india/

http://www.findyogi.com/mobiles/comp...-b97034_b96e27

Cheers !
Old 30th October 2014, 00:39   #19565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Folks,

A quandary here -Moto G (2nd gen) 16 GB or Zenfone 5 16 GB ? (What is the disadvantage with 8 GB? - may go with 8 GB too if the reviews are favourable ) .

Cheers !
Moto G (got my wife the 1st gen), Asus not bad, but I would suggest Moto G.

And always go for more GB, the OS itself will take up ~2 GB and when you will have photos, video's, music, apps and their updates.
More the GB more the merrier.
Old 30th October 2014, 00:49   #19566
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have proof that their current softwares are still "stealing" user data *today* (rather post Aug 10th), I think we need to give the company the benefit of doubt.
I checked the date of the MIUI ROM I tested last time and found it was dated Sept 03, 2014. And the way internet connections established in the ROM was 'scary' enough for me that I didn't even setup my primary email account in the phone during the period I had that ROM.

And about data being shared at other international servers, I would only say that there is difference between anonymous data sharing and spying. User can turn off data sharing if he wants. For example if Google Now is active all the time, some sort of data keep exchanging between the device and the server. If user turns off Google now service, the connections also gets terminated. But such thing doesn't happen in MIUI, almost all the services connect to suspicious servers even when MIUI cloud service isn't turned on.

Anyways amazed to see logics given in defense of Xiaomi. A bitter truth is that these days saving few bucks in own pocket has become more important than anything else, even more important than country.
Old 30th October 2014, 05:02   #19567
Senior - BHPian

Anybody looking for a good cam on a 14 k phone might consider the new Lumia 730, if they are flexible about the OS. The cam on it is just fantastic in this range. Results, esp. in low light blow away anything I'v compared with in this range. Moto cam won't stand a chance against it (frankly, haven't compared with the Moto 2nd gen cam myself, but considering that Moto has always been weak on the camera front, and also from several reviews).

You also get a vibrant OLED screen, good battery life, updates, and very fluid experience. But then of course WP still has has several limitations... which you may or may not encounter depending on how you use the phone. An "average" user may not encounter any.

Last edited by Raccoon : 30th October 2014 at 05:05.
Old 30th October 2014, 07:40   #19568
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moto G or Zenfone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I checked the date of the MIUI ROM I tested last time and found it was dated Sept 03, 2014. And the way internet connections established in the ROM was 'scary' enough for me that I didn't even setup my primary email account in the phone during the period I had that ROM.

And about data being shared at other international servers, I would only say that there is difference between anonymous data sharing and spying. User can turn off data sharing if he wants. For example if Google Now is active all the time, some sort of data keep exchanging between the device and the server. If user turns off Google now service, the connections also gets terminated. But such thing doesn't happen in MIUI, almost all the services connect to suspicious servers even when MIUI cloud service isn't turned on.

Anyways amazed to see logics given in defense of Xiaomi. A bitter truth is that these days saving few bucks in own pocket has become more important than anything else, even more important than country.
You have written pages attacking Xiaomi. It is only fair that you substantiate your strong claims with some hard proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Anybody looking for a good cam on a 14 k phone might consider the new Lumia 730, if they are flexible about the OS. The cam on it is just fantastic in this range. Results, esp. in low light blow away anything I'v compared with in this range. Moto cam won't stand a chance against it (frankly, haven't compared with the Moto 2nd gen cam myself, but considering that Moto has always been weak on the camera front, and also from several reviews).

You also get a vibrant OLED screen, good battery life, updates, and very fluid experience. But then of course WP still has has several limitations... which you may or may not encounter depending on how you use the phone. An "average" user may not encounter any.
Do share pictures and a more detailed android vs WP comparison for everyone pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Folks,

The reviews are somewhat , ummm, confusing

http://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/mot...101sg3oh23.php

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2014/0...ims-for-india/

http://www.findyogi.com/mobiles/comp...-b97034_b96e27

Cheers !
I don't know anyone with the Asus Zenfone (which has decent reviews) but the MotoG 2nd gen is exceptional. Even at 5" it fits just right in the hand, is really snappy inspite of 200+ apps installed (critical due to the 1GB RAM), and now has a fairly decent (not exceptional) camera that even takes fairly decent photos in low light. I'd put it right up there next to my S3 as far as low light photography is currently concerned.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:00   #19569
BHPian

Any good power bank / battery back up for mobiles. Should be able to suit different mobiles and have good capacity. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 30th October 2014 at 11:01.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:23   #19570
BHPian

Quote:
is really snappy inspite of 200+ apps installed (critical due to the 1GB RAM),

200+ apps! Woah!!

Were you trying to find its limit or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Any good power bank / battery back up for mobiles. Should be able to suit different mobiles and have good capacity. Thanks.
The Xiaomi Mi power bank. Don't even consider anything else.

It's available in Flipkart for a mere 999/- rupees.

Link: http://goo.gl/OEosk6

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 30th October 2014 at 11:25.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:57   #19571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
200+ apps! Woah!!

Were you trying to find its limit or something?
That was my friend.

I was just reading about some 128GB iPhone6+ users whose phones are crashing because they have ~700+ apps installed (incl some with large app libraries)
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...-app-libraries
Quote:
128GB iPhone 6 Plus is the most affected model; apps installed number at more than 700; and crashes can occur without user interaction.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 30th October 2014, 14:24   #19572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post

The Xiaomi Mi power bank. Don't even consider anything else.

It's available in Flipkart for a mere 999/- rupees.
Did you get it from flipkart?

Reason I'm asking is because I see your location as Cochin, and they said they can't ship to my pin code which is Tripunithura (682038).
Old 30th October 2014, 14:32   #19573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Did you get it from flipkart?

Reason I'm asking is because I see your location as Cochin, and they said they can't ship to my pin code which is Tripunithura (682038).

I just ordered it and they accepted the order. Did not mention anywhere that they cant ship it to Calicut. The order was placed successfully and same confirmed by them.
Old 30th October 2014, 14:37   #19574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Is there any list of must to have Android Apps available in this thread? I have been using a Windows Phone and now back to Android.
Hi, I think choice of apps depends upon ones needs/likes. However these are my recommendations from my picks:sly:.

Anydo, shush, automateit, aviate launcher, cal, flipboard, evernote, dolphin browser, fotorus, nine mail client, sms notifier, trackID, truecaller, endomondo, fitness pal.. needless to mention 'Team bhp'.
If you are looking for any specific purpose, let me know - I can fetch something.

I do not use clean master, any antivirus app - I find them as just gimmicks.

Hope you find any of these useful. You may suggest your app picks too.. !
Old 30th October 2014, 14:57   #19575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Try Lava its 5200mAH and apart from battery bank it has WiFi router / repeater functionality with a RJ45 port and also you can insert pen drive in USB slot to use it as a network file server.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks