Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 07:36   #19681
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I'm sorry, but that's not true.

The Oneplus One is a much more powerful device, and it runs Cyanogenmod out of the box,which give it a ton of tweaking options right away.

If anything, it does have a lot of similarities to the Oppo Find 7.
here's a comparison between the two http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=6327phones. Yes the oppo phone has more similarities to the OnePlus,but the Huawei even shares the same camera as the One, and supports dual Sim and radio - all at 12k less than oppo.

The One should also be launched more or less in the Huawei price range,based on whatever news I read about the launch.
Old 10th November 2014, 09:08   #19682
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
here's a comparison between the two http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=6327phones. Yes the oppo phone has more similarities to the OnePlus,but the Huawei even shares the same camera as the One, and supports dual Sim and radio - all at 12k less than oppo.

The One should also be launched more or less in the Huawei price range,based on whatever news I read about the launch.
The Huawei doesn't come close to the Oneplus in performance. The Hisilicon kirin processor vs Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 is a huge difference especially when it comes to graphics and power management.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8425/h...nor-6-review/6

Secondly, the Oneplus One runs Cyanogenmod which is the biggest plus point. You're pretty much guaranteed updates from the Cyanogenmod group.

The Huawei will have software update issue because of their own hisilicon processor and depending on Huawei software release itself.

The Honor 6 is good on paper but my money will be on the Oneplus One any day.

Here's an interesting review of the Oneplus One:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/30/irl-oneplus-one/
Old 10th November 2014, 10:04   #19683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Huawei doesn't come close to the Oneplus in performance. The Hisilicon kirin processor vs Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 is a huge difference especially when it comes to graphics and power management.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8425/h...nor-6-review/6

Secondly, the Oneplus One runs Cyanogenmod which is the biggest plus point. You're pretty much guaranteed updates from the Cyanogenmod group.

The Huawei will have software update issue because of their own hisilicon processor and depending on Huawei software release itself.

The Honor 6 is good on paper but my money will be on the Oneplus One any day.

Here's an interesting review of the Oneplus One:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/30/irl-oneplus-one/
Hmm, I had no idea about the shortcomings about the processor (and issues with future updates) in the Honor. I had read reviews about the OnePlus and absolutely knew it was a mind-blowing device but I somehow assumed the Honor was on par with the One, even with it's rather poor exterior design.

Thanks!

Edit: There's an unofficial CM ROM for the Honor6

Last edited by hellmet : 10th November 2014 at 10:13.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:13   #19684
BHPian

Rajiv Makhni says the One Plus will be launched in 3 weeks from now. Also, it is quite hard to believe the price which he had mentioned - under 15K INR :O Its too hard to believe this price; I think it will be launched at around 20-22K. If it is launched at 15k then we see the next Mi3 coming.

Things will get interesting further with the launch of the Mi4 which will be bang opposite the One Plus. Both flagship killers have almost same specs, will be a tough call between the two.

-Bhargav
Old 10th November 2014, 15:09   #19685
BHPian

Guys,

Any personal reviews about the Android One phones? I am planning to pick up the Spice Dream Uno, but I would like to know from users about any negatives about the cust service from Spice mobiles and if there are any other good/better phones in the same range. I like the fact that updates are promised for 2 years and that the experience is closed to the stock Android.

My budget is around 6.5K and it needs a front cam with a fairly decent primary cam too. Gaming is not a priority (its for my wife) but good call reception is very important. 4.x inch screen size only (hands too small for 5" screens). Was using iPhone 3GS for the last 4 years, but now feel like moving back to Android (she has used Galazy Y for about a year before the iPhone).

Have ruled out MotoE and Redmi, and I am not too keen on very less known chinese brands. What are the options in the market for me? I am willing to stretch my budget for MotoG (1st Gen) if that makes for a better phone. I am not too keen on extra memory anyway.

P

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 10th November 2014 at 15:23.
Old 10th November 2014, 16:09   #19686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I am willing to stretch my budget for MotoG (1st Gen) if that makes for a better phone. I am not too keen on extra memory anyway.
Is the 1st gen Moto G even available now?
Old 10th November 2014, 16:16   #19687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I used to use a Nokia E71; absolutely top notch call / audio quality (I seem to have clarity issues with my hearing).

In June 2013, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos, and it was even better. It has "Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic". I couldn't be happier. From a call clarity viewpoint, this is the best phone I've had in my life.

We needed a second dual-sim phone, so a week ago I purchased the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 Duos. This trumps the Galaxy Grand in every way, except call audio quality; it's much, much worse. It's simply not good enough for me. Despite having features she'll never use, I may end up giving this to the wife and taking back my Galaxy Grand 1 from her. She's quite a bit more tolerant of poor audio than I am.

The only problem with the Galaxy Grand 1is that it's obsolete and way overpriced.

Writing this more to alert everybody about the Galaxy Grand 2 rather than to help you, phamilyman sir.
Quote:
I've a MotoG with 2 sims active, and will highly recommend the phone if camera quality is not an issue. I'm guessing the MotoE would be equally good at a lower price point - given that it'll be a purely backup phone. For the MotoE though, you should forget the fact that it has a camera at all.
After much R&D I realized that the issue was sub-par noise cancellation when using bluetooth (i use it >90% of the time).

I went back to stock 4.3 - rooted it, debloating the touchwiz room with Titanium Backup and so far so good. Will continue removing the samsung software till almost nothing from samsung is left except the touchwiz launcher

The challenge is that I still need to take my conference calls and I guess I need to invest in a good BT headset now! :(

Plantronics voyager legend and discovery 975 have failed. What else do folks recommend?
Old 10th November 2014, 16:37   #19688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is the 1st gen Moto G even available now?
Apparently it is here

P
Old 10th November 2014, 17:08   #19689
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Any personal reviews about the Android One phones?

Have ruled out MotoE and RedmiI am willing to stretch my budget for MotoG (1st Gen) if that makes for a better phone. I am not too keen on extra memory anyway.

P
You've chosen the best looking Android One phone of the lot, the Spice Uno. The Android One phones are decent devices (from what I gathered fiddling with all three brand devices at a marketing event) , but don't offer any "oomph" neither in the camera section nor in the design section. If I were you, I'd buy the Redmi eyes closed - it's a great VFM phone, but if you're looking for stock android experience (without investing time in rooting or flashing), you could go for the Android One devices.

Another option is the Huawei Honor Holly at 6999, but it has a 5" screen.
Old 10th November 2014, 18:41   #19690
BHPian

Quote:
You've chosen the best looking Android One phone of the lot, the Spice Uno. The Android One phones are decent devices (from what I gathered fiddling with all three brand devices at a marketing event) , but don't offer any "oomph" neither in the camera section nor in the design section. If I were you, I'd buy the Redmi eyes closed - it's a great VFM phone, but if you're looking for stock android experience (without investing time in rooting or flashing), you could go for the Android One devices.

Another option is the Huawei Honor Holly at 6999, but it has a 5" screen.
Thanks @hellmet for your opinion. Oomph will be not be much when moving from an Apple device to a low budget droid. This is purely function over form. I am not much of a rooting/flashing fan. I prefer using or upgrading from the stock OS.

So if some customer service is required, do I just walk into any of the Spice hotspot centres? How responsive is the company with customer queries?

P
Old 10th November 2014, 18:56   #19691
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Any personal reviews about the Android One phones? I am planning to pick up the Spice Dream Uno, but I would like to know from users about any negatives about the cust service from Spice mobiles and if there are any other good/better phones in the same range. I like the fact that updates are promised for 2 years and that the experience is closed to the stock Android.
I have fiddled around with my friend's Micromax canvas A1, which is the Micromax version of the Android One devices.

I do like the display, and the phone performs fast enough. If I were to compare it to my Moto G, I would say that it matches about 80% of the Moto's performance. Pretty good for that price.
Old 10th November 2014, 19:01   #19692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
After much R&D I realized that the issue was sub-par noise cancellation when using bluetooth (i use it >90% of the time).

I went back to stock 4.3 - rooted it, debloating the touchwiz room with Titanium Backup and so far so good. Will continue removing the samsung software till almost nothing from samsung is left except the touchwiz launcher
My experience of poor audio clarity was using the handset by itself, without BT. I hate BT earsets; get a massive headache within minutes if that thing is stuck in my ear.

Am a bit confused about sound quality and Samsung bloatware. Are you saying the two are related?
Old 10th November 2014, 20:26   #19693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Rajiv Makhni says the One Plus will be launched in 3 weeks from now. Also, it is quite hard to believe the price which he had mentioned - under 15K INR :O Its too hard to believe this price; I think it will be launched at around 20-22K. If it is launched at 15k then we see the next Mi3 coming.

Things will get interesting further with the launch of the Mi4 which will be bang opposite the One Plus. Both flagship killers have almost same specs, will be a tough call between the two.

-Bhargav
Where has he mentioned this?

I'm pretty disappointed with the camera on the Mi3. Low light performance is really poor despite the claimed exmor r sensor. Mi4 is said to be better in this department, but not by much and rest of the specs are just not more interesting than it's predecessor. Hope the One has a much better cam as claimed. Also, Cynogenmod over MIUI any day!

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th November 2014 at 20:44.
Old 10th November 2014, 21:10   #19694
Senior - BHPian

One plus has got very good camera. The video modes are also good. Low light performance is good
Old 11th November 2014, 02:17   #19695
Senior - BHPian

^So I've heard. But have you personally compared it with Mi3 and similar cameras? Xiaomi and even some reviews created much hype about the Mi3 camera; but it turned out to be below par. Hope the One camera lives up to expectations. Just hope they get the pricing right to make me want to shift over. Then there is the issue of availability. Any ideas on how to get an invite when launched in India?

Last edited by Raccoon : 11th November 2014 at 02:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks