Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 18:33   #12181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Team, any idea what mobile phone companies do with the faulty motherboards replaced on phones under warranty.

Do they destroy them or repair and use it as spares in some other phone?
Old 30th October 2012, 18:40   #12182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Congratulations. A colleague of mine just got himself the A110 after seeing the performance of my A100. Should be putting up a comparo post tomorrow.

P.s. Which website are you buying it from? Saholic seems to be out of stock, but infibeam did state they were in stock. My friend who after waiting a week got the update from Saholic today, went and bought the phone from a nearby mobile shop. He couldn't trust another retailer to delay the delivery!
Hey thanks!

I really wanted to get the A90 only but the stocks were never in! Waited, waited and when the A110 was announced, it seemed perfect. Also, read many reviews of poor voice levels in the A90. So decided and placed an order.

Yes, it seemed to be out of stock at many sites but Flipkart had stocks today so I placed an order there. A little pricier (around 400 or so) but can trust Flipkart.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:13   #12183
BHPian

Hi all, I am new to android world and i have a nobe question for you all. How can I set current location on google map as home add on google navigation? Then home button on navigation app to be precise.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:00   #12184
BHPian

Gadget gurus,

Need advise. Sony xperia Arc S out for sale by my colleague. Says it's been used just a couple of times and 6 months old. Doesn't have the invoice though. Quoting 10 K. Can you please tell me if it is a good buy. Please help.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:06   #12185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Is it a really major shortcoming? It is a drawback but I won't complain at all, if the device is priced that low.
On a 8 GB phone:

1. 2 - 2.5 GB would be taken by OS + basic filesystem
2. With installation of games like NFS/Xplane, each game take 500 - 600 MB

that leaves just 4 - 5 GB for end-user storage. And user needs to manage not only emails / calendars/ camera but also music and videos in that space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Team, any idea what mobile phone companies do with the faulty motherboards replaced on phones under warranty.

Do they destroy them or repair and use it as spares in some other phone?
These are sent to recyclers for chip-level troubleshooting and fixes. Next time if some phone comes for motherboard replacement this "fixed" motherboard that would be installed (with a new IMEI).

For those working in repairs, its interesting timepass to look at "DCIM" folders on NAND There are whole sites/forums to share just such pictures and videos.
Old 30th October 2012, 21:17   #12186
Senior - BHPian

Superb pricing of the Nexus 4. I was eagerly waiting to upgrade my Nexus S but I'm disappointed with the software.

My phone has JB 4.1.2 already, and I would've bought Nexus 4 if it came with a major upgrade in software along with the (currently)best hardware.
Old 30th October 2012, 21:22   #12187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Since a friend wanted to buy my LG P500 from me, I have gone ahead and placed an order for the Micromax A110 from Flipkart. Took some time to decide as I was also looking at Karbonn but finally decided on the A110 due to the larger battery.

Hoping to receive it soon and will update once I receive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Congratulations. A colleague of mine just got himself the A110 after seeing the performance of my A100. Should be putting up a comparo post tomorrow.

P.s. Which website are you buying it from? Saholic seems to be out of stock, but infibeam did state they were in stock. My friend who after waiting a week got the update from Saholic today, went and bought the phone from a nearby mobile shop. He couldn't trust another retailer to delay the delivery!
Oh please post the reviews soon. Try to include a video too. It would help a lot! I'm deciding between the Xperia Tipo and the Mmx A110. The review on youtube by maniac store is useless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I have one question, I have a Galaxy Pop in which I have logged in with my "X" gmail account. Now my mom uses that phone so I added her "Y" gmail account. Now how do I completely remove my "X" account because I want to use it on the new phone which I get.
I am aware of the fact that we can use the same account on multiple phones.

I went to settings---> accounts and sync and tried removing the "X" account, however it says that some apps are using that account so I can't remove it.

Now if I login with the "X" account on the new phone and if i download any apps or get any mails on the new phone, will that stuff come up on the old phone too?

Thanks

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 30th October 2012 at 21:28.
Old 30th October 2012, 21:38   #12188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
...These are sent to recyclers for chip-level troubleshooting and fixes. Next time if some phone comes for motherboard replacement this "fixed" motherboard that would be installed (with a new IMEI).

For those working in repairs, its interesting timepass to look at "DCIM" folders on NAND There are whole sites/forums to share just such pictures and videos.
Whoa! way to go. So much for the data privacy laws prevalent out here
Old 30th October 2012, 22:21   #12189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

Exactly! Nexus4 @20k (for 16GB version) or SGS3 @33k??? Its a no brainer!

And to top it you get a phone without all the Sammy crapware, and with latest Google software with promise of fastest updates! It has 2GB RAM also!!!

Why would I still wanna buy the Sammy? Cant think of any single reason really.
The only drawback I see in Nexus 4 is that it has no external sd card slot. Otherwise it is a good value for money.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:38   #12190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Install this , "android assistant".
For non-rooted, this will help you in shifting portions of apps, fix startup apps, and clear cache.
for starters.
mayankk....thanks !!
Will try this. Hopefully this wont make my already slow phone slower !!

Quote:
Restart the phone and see if it works better few minutes after restart.

With Android, you can safely do a factory reset without loosing too much data since your contacts are anyways backed up and you can take a backup of SMS etc on desktop.
NetfreakBombay....restart is what I've been doing, but the effect doesn't last a day.
Besides, I haven't been able to get the PC sync working via Kies. Just doesn't work, so have no backup for my sms'es yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Hi Lazy,

WHY are you still on android 2.3.6?

My note is running version 4.0.4 and is as fast as it should be and there are plenty of new useful features plus a better battery management as well. Copy your stuff from the phone memory to memory card and upgrade your phone OTA, its a very simple process, all you need is a fast wifi connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Why 2.3.6 still ? Connect to WiFi , Connect Charger go to settings and find updates , once the update starts downloading rest every thing is pretty automated. Preferably do this in night as you have a huge update to download.
lancerlover & amitk26,
Do I need to backup stuff (contacts, sms, photos, videos, calendar events etc) somewhere before I do the backup?
Fear of losing data is the primary reason I have left the OS as it is.

Thanks all for your inputs.

cheers
lazy
Old 30th October 2012, 22:38   #12191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
The only drawback I see in Nexus 4 is that it has no external sd card slot. Otherwise it is a good value for money.
and that is the whole point! performance systems are moving away from external storage! On board flash is much faster and makes performance more sleek (something iphones have enjoyed for some time). now the whole idea is to move towards cloud for any storage needs and just use flash storage on the phone for apps that would make your experience very fluid. (for example also look at windows phones how fluid they are! simply world apart.)

that day is not far when external sd cards will no longer be needed.

it seems a drawback for us in India because we are still dependent on sd cards as they are inexpensive. but believe me, once your networks get fast enough (4G etc) you wont feel you need them!

nexus4 is excellent value for money irrespective. you are getting a phone more powerful than the SGS3 for almost half the price! what else do you want??????

Last edited by joslicx : 30th October 2012 at 22:44.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:47   #12192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and its not 4G ready either
Old 30th October 2012, 22:59   #12193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
that day is not far when external sd cards will no longer be needed.

it seems a drawback for us in India because we are still dependent on sd cards as they are inexpensive. but believe me, once your networks get fast enough (4G etc) you wont feel you need them!

nexus4 is excellent value for money irrespective. you are getting a phone more powerful than the SGS3 for almost half the price! what else do you want??????
Cloud storage is still like a dream for us. Also 3G has not yet succeeded in India. Hence not everyone has good internet access on the go. Airtel has started 4G in Pune but too costly. So until we don't have good internet speeds cloud storage is not useful at all.
Old 30th October 2012, 23:58   #12194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
That does not compute. Regardless of how "fast" network is it would always be slower than on-device storage. That is because of latency.

http://www.padgadget.com/2012/03/19/...ich-is-better/

Compare this 100ms+ to less than 0.5 ms latency of reading from microsd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Whoa! way to go. So much for the data privacy laws prevalent out here
Unfortunately such examples are found world over:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-serviced.html

Only way to ensure this does not happen is to use full volume encryption on all devices i.e. Phone/Tablet/Laptop/PC.
Old 31st October 2012, 00:18   #12195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cloud storage is still like a dream for us. Also 3G has not yet succeeded in India. Hence not everyone has good internet access on the go. Airtel has started 4G in Pune but too costly. So until we don't have good internet speeds cloud storage is not useful at all.
well nexus4 is not an India only device. the primary fights in smartphone world are still in the west where network speeds are good enough. 4g and fast 3g (HSDPA+) have good penetration in europe and US. So you are seeing more and more devices that are moving away from external storage.

3g is not a failure in india. you can say it is picking up now. In 2-3 years you'll see practically everybody on 3g. I get good enough speeds to browse my pics on cloud, see HD videos on youtube etc.

Like it or not, it is the trend and it is how it is going to be. Even in laptops (in ultrabooks and all) they are coming with faster ssd storage. I think Apple's laptops come with flash storage only (I might be wrong though).

Quote:
That does not compute. Regardless of how "fast" network is it would always be slower than on-device storage. That is because of latency.

http://www.padgadget.com/2012/03/19/...ich-is-better/

Compare this 100ms+ to less than 0.5 ms latency of reading from microsd.
I was talking about storage. If you take a video with your phone just store it on cloud and delete it from the phone (you can use wifi to do that). Then you can still access it everywhere. No need to retain copies on the phone. I am using it right now with dropbox here in India also (for photos only, I rarely ever take pics). thats why i dont need much storage on my phone. I have a 32 GB card but its empty all the time!

Last edited by joslicx : 31st October 2012 at 00:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks