Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 20:19   #12106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
For those who miss sliding/swiping on Swiftkey, the next version is going to include this capability. Though its not happing too soon - expected to be out in 3rd quarter of next year. I just hope it does not add bloat compared to their existing offering. Somehow, I feel that the "feel" of their earlier version Swiftkey X was better than Swiftkey 3.
Thanks for that update. Though I wonder when that "version" is going to be out.
Quote:
Sliding with Swifkey's prediction engine should be a killer combo. However, I don't know how Swype's predictive capabilities compare to that of Swiftkey. Can anybody who has recently been using both comment?
Dunno about Swype, but recently I have started using TouchPal, and it has been a fun-ride so far. So much that I have stopped using Swiftkey On most aspects both are quite similar, however pfa a few differences :-

Pros
- Very light app. I find Swiftkey a bit heavy on the CPU in comparison
- Free!
- Excellent predictive capabilities

Cons
- The swiping feature of course needs to be updated with my Hinglish words and similar stuff
- Swiftkey has this learning capability from Gmail/Facebook/Twitter/Sms. Unfortunately, Touchpal has only messages. However it does have the feature of adding all contact details into the dictionary, which is quite a useful feature!
Old 25th October 2012, 20:45   #12107
Senior - BHPian

Nothing comes close to SwiftKey in my experience. Touchpal wasn't that usable for me. I had used swype for a long time as well.

This is typed from SwiftKey and it took well under a minute to type in the whole thing.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th October 2012 at 20:46.
Old 25th October 2012, 21:30   #12108
Senior - BHPian

Interesting differences of experience. Prolly depends on your writing style too, I guess. But its worth comparing only recent versions as updated versions...

Errata - It is supposed to be out in the 1st quarter of next year and not 3rd. Seems I made a typo in the earlier post.
Old 25th October 2012, 22:06   #12109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
Nothing comes close to SwiftKey in my experience. Touchpal wasn't that usable for me. I had used swype for a long time as well.

This is typed from SwiftKey and it took well under a minute to type in the whole thing.
I do agree. Swift key is simply superb. Nothing has come as close for me.

About the Xperia dialer, it's worse in Xperia S as well. It's embarrassing when you have to wait for the dialer to show up especially when you are showing off your phone!

Even I've been using dialerex. It's pretty good. However hope Sony fixes this atleast by next update.
Old 25th October 2012, 23:56   #12110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Interesting differences of experience. Prolly depends on your writing style too, I guess. But its worth comparing only recent versions as updated versions...

Errata - It is supposed to be out in the 1st quarter of next year and not 3rd. Seems I made a typo in the earlier post.
It will be called SwiftKey Flow. One can sign up for their beta program here - http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/

Check out the video -

Old 26th October 2012, 00:13   #12111
BHPian

Quote:

Agreed. I purchased SwiftKey after trialing several free/trial apps. This one took just 10 secs to type. SwiftKey has learnt about my style so much in the last 8 months, that my typing is now much much faster.
Old 26th October 2012, 02:26   #12112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
It will be called SwiftKey Flow. One can sign up for their beta program here - http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/

Check out the video -
Looks cool. The new version better be free for existing Swiftkey customers. And I really hope they can keep the bloat and CPU requirement low and improve on the voice recognition. If they can, it could be one of the best things that happened to mobiles since touch screens maybe...

However, the new JB keyboard itself is reported to have upped the ante with its predictions. Any JB + Swiftkey users can give a comparative comment?

Whichever may be the best keyboard, the prize of the worst keyboard ever should go to Sony's stock keyboard on my Xperia. I'll never forget that half day traumatic experience I had with it when the phone was brand new

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th October 2012 at 02:39.
Old 26th October 2012, 08:45   #12113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well a lot depends on one's typing skills too. What I meant in that comparison but didn't mention openly is when I type with both hands then swiftkey works better than TouchPal probably. However when I type with one hand only, then the Swype functionality of TouchPal works best. Of course if swiftkey brings out swyping, then that is the best of both worlds

BTW this took around 50 seconds. On TouchPal. And probably swiftkey would have taken the same, lol

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th October 2012 at 08:46.
Old 26th October 2012, 10:54   #12114
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone using Tasker here? If yes, what do you guys use it commonly for?

I tried a few simple profiles like changing the notification volumes based on whether am at home or office. Then I tried a little complex one, like, sending out a whatsapp ping if I am around a certain tower. Worked while testing, but didn't actually trigger on its own the next time I went near it. The profile was active and all.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:35   #12115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Anyone using Tasker here? If yes, what do you guys use it commonly for?

I tried a few simple profiles like changing the notification volumes based on whether am at home or office. Then I tried a little complex one, like, sending out a whatsapp ping if I am around a certain tower. Worked while testing, but didn't actually trigger on its own the next time I went near it. The profile was active and all.
Haven't used tasker but heard a lot of good reviews about it. I was using a similar free app called Llama. You need to be little geeky to configure areas and events and all, but once you get it right, it works like a charm.

Like you did, I had a auto notification "Shopping reminder" which will trigger when I enter the cell tower area of a super market on my way back to office. I had also noted that it will only trigger when the display was on at the time of that event trigger or if the phone was used a little while ago.

Have you purchased tasker? I am also contemplating. But my payments on Google play is no longer working.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenswwhot_20121026144149.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 26th October 2012 at 14:45.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:16   #12116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Have you purchased tasker? I am also contemplating. But my payments on Google play is no longer working.
Hey,

I too faced such an issue once and i read on some site to log into Google Wallet and deleted and re enter your credit card details.

https://wallet.google.com/

Adding, updating, deleting credit cards

http://support.google.com/offers/bin...answer=1311406

Hope this helps. It sure worked for me.

Regards,
Old 26th October 2012, 15:24   #12117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

I too faced such an issue once and i read on some site to log into Google Wallet and deleted and re enter your credit card details.

https://wallet.google.com/

Adding, updating, deleting credit cards

http://support.google.com/offers/bin...answer=1311406

Hope this helps. It sure worked for me.

Regards,
Thanks, but I had already tried this (deleting and re-entering my card) in wallet but it didn't help.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:13   #12118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Haven't used tasker but heard a lot of good reviews about it. I was using a similar free app called Llama. You need to be little geeky to configure areas and events and all, but once you get it right, it works like a charm.

Like you did, I had a auto notification "Shopping reminder" which will trigger when I enter the cell tower area of a super market on my way back to office. I had also noted that it will only trigger when the display was on at the time of that event trigger or if the phone was used a little while ago.

Not yet, got a craked apk and seems I have 7 days before I have to register. I am planning to see if it proves useful and what all I can do with it. If it proves useful, will buy.

Regarding setting up the rules, ya it gets a li'l complicated. But there are plenty of tutorials available. I am trying to read and learn some of it. Let's see if I carry on or uninstall it on the 7th day.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:20   #12119
BHPian

Is there a calender application that does not use reminder feature of stock calender application of the phone? I have an Xperia Neo V and the reminder, when it pops up, gives me options to snooze or dismiss all. If I press snooze, it is snoozed for 10 minutes. I wanted something that will give me multiple options like snooze for 10 mins / 30 mins / 1 hr / 1 day. I thought I'll get this using some other calender app. So I downloaded an app called 'Jorte'. It has different interface but still it uses the stock reminder feature giving me the same two options. I tried other calenders too but all use the stock reminder feature only.

My old windows mobile (WM6) phone had such a feature which I used to use a lot.
Old 26th October 2012, 20:26   #12120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil
Is there a calender application that does not use reminder feature of stock calender application of the phone? I have an Xperia Neo V and the reminder, when it pops up, gives me options to snooze or dismiss all. If I press snooze, it is snoozed for 10 minutes. I wanted something that will give me multiple options like snooze for 10 mins / 30 mins / 1 hr / 1 day. I thought I'll get this using some other calender app. So I downloaded an app called 'Jorte'. It has different interface but still it uses the stock reminder feature giving me the same two options. I tried other calenders too but all use the stock reminder feature only.

My old windows mobile (WM6) phone had such a feature which I used to use a lot.
Not really sure if this will work but why don't you try a different alarm app? I am guessing it'll ask on the first instance to select the alarm app you want to use. Use a 3rd party alarm app that gives you option to set custom snooze time. Sorry if it doesn't work, just a guess here. :-P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks