Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 11:37   #10606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
@ksm-Vtec

Here is the alternative way to load ICS 4.0.4

- Locate the 4.0.4 for India in this page

[STOCK ROMS] N7000 All stock ROMs + install + Root guide All at 1place,Latest 4.0.4 - xda-developers

(N7000DXLR6---4.0.4/12.07.30-N7000OLBLR2---Download--India---Installation)

Download the file.

Download PC ODIN

Follow the instructions for installing the file (In PC ODIN load the file in PDA, connect phone in download mode and flash ROM)

After rebooting you will be on stock Samsung 4.0.4 rom. This does not void anything related to warranty or anything.

The rom is stock rom and not a rooted rom.

@SBkumar

Some process is running because of an app you have installed that is eating battery at night. My Idle state used 1-2 % whole night.
Could you please le me know if all the data on my mobile will be affected. I have spiderman, asphalt7 and asphalt6. I do not want to lose the data. Also do i have to do a factory reset and cache wipe before i flash firmware via odin.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:45   #10607
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, I am looking to buy a new phone. I am currently using the Sony Ericsson X10.

My prioritities for my new phone are -
* Android OS
* Good procession speed (no lags)
* Good looks
* Good camera
* Front facing camera

My budget is around 25k to 30k. Any suggestions?
I would suggest HTC One X for 32k on ebay. Fantastic phone and the best / latest in market.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:07   #10608
BHPian

When I try Voice Navigation for Noida on my Xperia U, it says that Navigation is not available for my area. Is there any other app for voice navigation in Noida for Android. I already have an offline map for Noida but I doubt thats going to help.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:09   #10609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@ksm-Vtec

Here is the alternative way to load ICS 4.0.4
Thanks a lot bro!

Will do this tonight once i am home.

Just few more questions...may be you could direct me to another thread on xda for the answers.

Currently my Note is in a mess. I have lot of junk on it which i dont even know about.

Considering the 4.0.4 is much better and i guess is here to stay...is this the right time to just wipe my phone?

Also...

1. Will this upgrade via pcodin remove all the apps i have on my phone? If yes is there a shortcut to restore it? more importantly is there is way to selectively restore?(this may help if i decide to do a wipe)

2. What about the backup? do i need to take one separately?

3. What about the other settings/passwords/bookmarks etc?
Old 9th August 2012, 12:22   #10610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am looking to buy a new phone. I am currently using the Sony Ericsson X10.

My prioritities for my new phone are -
* Android OS
* Good procession speed (no lags)
* Good looks
* Good camera
* Front facing camera

My budget is around 25k to 30k. Any suggestions?
its a vast ocean of choices you have in this range. but IF i was in your place and had to pick one, below would be my priority list

1. Galaxy Nexus ( good phone, decent camera, you get all Android updates faster than others)

2. Motorola Atrix 2 (fantastic product at 20-22k price range)

3. Motorola Razr Maxx (thin, amazing battery backup, superb screen)

4. Samsung Galaxy S2 ( many would say its old n all etc. but for me i still consider this as a one of the best droids out there in that range)

Please note that above are just my personal views. No offence meant to any one here. On a side note, i don't use either of the above phones.

Regards,
Old 9th August 2012, 12:23   #10611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Saw this thread so posting my query again here from the mobile and electronics thread, my cousin is looking to buy a new handset max budget is 20 k, which is the best available android handset for her, she asked about samsung galaxy S Advance, how this handset, is it worth buying or shall look out for some other handset.
Guys any help in my query please
Old 9th August 2012, 12:29   #10612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Guys any help in my query please
hello Vijay,

Suggested S advance for a friend last week. He got it for around 20k & the phone is excellent. the screen and touch UI is just amazing. The other phone i would advise in that range is Motorola Atrix 2. I am a motorola user and their phones are just fantastic. sadly very less promotion of their devices here. Since you are in Ahmedabad i would advice you go have a look at this store called SPICE mobile. its located in same building as CROMA on SG road. Dev Arc mall. they have all brands on display including Motorola.

Another phone i would advise is Sony Xperia Neo L. it has ICS 4.0 out of the box with a good 4" display. its priced at around 18.5k.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 9th August 2012 at 12:30.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:43   #10613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
hello Vijay,

Suggested S advance for a friend last week. He got it for around 20k & the phone is excellent. the screen and touch UI is just amazing. The other phone i would advise in that range is Motorola Atrix 2. I am a motorola user and their phones are just fantastic. sadly very less promotion of their devices here. Since you are in Ahmedabad i would advice you go have a look at this store called SPICE mobile. its located in same building as CROMA on SG road. Dev Arc mall. they have all brands on display including Motorola.

Another phone i would advise is Sony Xperia Neo L. it has ICS 4.0 out of the box with a good 4" display. its priced at around 18.5k.

Hope this helps

Regards,
thanks harshal, will suggest that and would ask her to have a look at motorola as well as sony experia too.Japan store opp muncipal market and perfect communications at odhav i have seen this two shops having all the handsets and giving the best deals for mobile handsets till now will check there and see what price theyare offring.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:43   #10614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I would suggest HTC One X for 32k on ebay. Fantastic phone and the best / latest in market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
its a vast ocean of choices you have in this range. but IF i was in your place and had to pick one, below would be my priority list

1. Galaxy Nexus ( good phone, decent camera, you get all Android updates faster than others)

2. Motorola Atrix 2 (fantastic product at 20-22k price range)

3. Motorola Razr Maxx (thin, amazing battery backup, superb screen)

4. Samsung Galaxy S2 ( many would say its old n all etc. but for me i still consider this as a one of the best droids out there in that range)
Guys, thank you for your suggestions. I am a little wary about phones from Motorola and HTC as their service support is pathetic.

Samsung Galaxy II is something I would check out.

What are your opinions on the Sony Xperia S? It is for 28k and is within my budget.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:46   #10615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please le me know if all the data on my mobile will be affected. I have spiderman, asphalt7 and asphalt6. I do not want to lose the data. Also do i have to do a factory reset and cache wipe before i flash firmware via odin.
You will lose data for sure. PC odin will reset the fone to stock rom.

Quote:
Considering the 4.0.4 is much better and i guess is here to stay...is this the right time to just wipe my phone?
Its a tricky procedure. Best is if you are rooted and you have CWM. You can do a complete format of cards, go to download mode and using PC ODIN flash the stock rom.

This is what i do for data:-
- Contacts are all synced with Google. So really dont care when i reset a fone.

Really dont care about SMS, Call registry, game data etc. (I flash atleast once a week. Sometimes once a day )

Best Android Apps for Backup and Restore

You can use some of the solutions above.

For browser i use Chrome. So my bookmarks, passwords, favorites etc are all stores in google server.

Just have to sign in with my account to get my browser settings back. You can install chrome now, port all data settings into Chrome, and save it in cloud(if i may say). All you have to do is sign into chrome anywhere in any application.

Selective way of restoring:-

Rooted phones - Titanium back up. Back up into external SD card.
After stock rom installation, root it and then re-install Titanium back up and restore applications one after another
Old 9th August 2012, 13:10   #10616
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thank you for your suggestions. I am a little wary about phones from Motorola and HTC as their service support is pathetic.

Samsung Galaxy II is something I would check out.

What are your opinions on the Sony Xperia S? It is for 28k and is within my budget.
Xperia S is much better than Galaxy II.
i really hate plastic body of Galaxy and the phone is somewhat old also.
Xperia S build quality is really fantastic and specifications are latest.
Old 9th August 2012, 13:17   #10617
BHPian

Quote:

@SBkumar

Some process is running because of an app you have installed that is eating battery at night. My Idle state used 1-2 % whole night.
Quite possible. I really hope I get as much juice as you get out of the battery. Will try to close all apps and test it tonight.

Quote:
You will lose data for sure. PC odin will reset the fone to stock rom.
I did't lose any data using the PC Odin method. It rebooted to the same state as before flashing.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:23   #10618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you could wait for a few months, Xperia ion could be a better option. It would have slightly bigger display, slightly better battery and expandable memory.

Xperia P is also another option, if you prefer metal body. Specs are inferior to Xperia S and so is the price.

Rohan
Old 9th August 2012, 14:24   #10619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Any suggestions about the best 3rd party UI for Note which looks and feels close to stock ICS UI ?
Try Holo launcher or ICS launcher.
Old 9th August 2012, 15:39   #10620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Xperia S is much better than Galaxy II.
i really hate plastic body of Galaxy and the phone is somewhat old also.
Xperia S build quality is really fantastic and specifications are latest.
Thank you buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If you could wait for a few months, Xperia ion could be a better option. It would have slightly bigger display, slightly better battery and expandable memory.
Well, problem is - I am going out of India next month and wont be coming back for a year at least. And I wont be interested in buying a phone from UK.

That said - is there any issue in buying a phone from India and using it in UK?

Quote:
Xperia P is also another option, if you prefer metal body. Specs are inferior to Xperia S and so is the price.
The only reason why I dont look at the Xperia P is because I felt it wont feel like a significant upgrade from my current X10.

Is the metal body so good that I have to consider the P over the S ?

Most Viewed