Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 17:28   #10531
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Has the 4.0.4 update for the Note come to India?

NOTE Users any luck?

I am facing serious battery issues which seem to have been addressed in the 4.0.4
I don't think it has come yet. I am holding on to GB for now. Not upgrading to 4.0.3. Based on the news from internet, looks like 4.0.4 for Note will arrive around Aug end.
Old 6th August 2012, 18:28   #10532
Senior - BHPian

@parthasarathig.

Do you guys even use Wifi anytime at all. Those battery figures are extreme. For regular use with wifi and gprs i hardly get a day in the note in Panandroid or even the Novic_Dev ROM which has good GPU control and lots of Voltage control.

I am trying to not overclock and see if its better when its at 1400 instead of 1600.
Old 6th August 2012, 18:29   #10533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Was it getting charged with wifi and Bluetooth on ?
Did you check if gps was on when the phone was charging ?
It can be the case where charging is more or less used up by wifi,gps etc. hence the very slow rate of charging?
It was on before, but later i turned off Wifi, Bluetooth etc and then tried, but no improvement. Finally i drained it out completely and left it charged all night, only then in morning i got 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How are you charging it? If it is through USB then it is normal. I get barely 10% charge increase when I charge it in the car during my drive to work using the USB cable.

However using the Ac adapter it takes around 2.5hours to fully charge. The battery is a 2100mAh so it does take more time to charge than normal.
I was charging it through normal AC adapter. I have noticed this twice that if the battery goes below 10%, then this issues pop's up but if you start charging it around 15-17%, then its fine. I have a friend in office that has S3 as well. Have asked him to drain the battery till 6-7% and then charge. Want to see if this is one of case or a blunder from Samsung.
Old 6th August 2012, 18:38   #10534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I'm planning to buy SGS3 i.e. Galaxy S3. I'm in a dilemma in selecting the 16 gb or the 32gb (available at flipkart)version. Which is the recommended option of the two given below:
1) Go for the 32gb directly
2) Get a 16gb and add a 16gb memory card.

Is it recommended to have the apps stored in the internal memory (hence the need for more internal memory) or in external memory card?

Need advice ASAP. Thanks in advance.
Depends on how much the price difference is. If the difference is less than 1 to 1.5k I would suggest you go ahead a buy the 32gig version right away. After all, having surplus is never bad

But if it is more say >=2k I would say get the 16gb version and get another 8 or 16gig class 6 microSD as and when necessary.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Old 6th August 2012, 19:04   #10535
BHPian

..But if it is more say >=2k I would say get the 16gb version and get another 8 or 16gig class 6 microSD as and when necessary.

Cheers,
Kaushik[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. The 32gb S3 is only available online (flipkart/homeshop18). I could not find it in the local retail stores in Hyderabad.
If the price of the 16gb and the 32gb are compared from online only, there is a difference of 3k. If the price of the 16gb from local market is compared to that of the 32gb from online, then the difference will be slightly more than 3k.

Keeping the price point secondary, which would be the best option technically i.e. storing apps/anything for that matter fully/partially in internal memory or memory card.
Thanks in advance..
Old 6th August 2012, 19:12   #10536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

P.s are you on Ics or GB?
I'm running on ICS. Yes, pretty good backup as of now. I can squeeze atleast 2 days as of now. Like I said, I use atleast 1 hour of GPS navigation, 4 hours of wifi and 2 hours of 2G (emails, docs etc).
Old 6th August 2012, 19:15   #10537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I'm running on ICS. Yes, pretty good backup as of now. I can squeeze atleast 2 days as of now. Like I said, I use atleast 1 hour of GPS navigation, 4 hours of wifi and 2 hours of 2G (emails, docs etc).
Naveen which Satnav app do you use?

Sygic maps really drains the battery of my lil' HTC.
Old 6th August 2012, 19:42   #10538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
@parthasarathig.

Do you guys even use Wifi anytime at all. Those battery figures are extreme. For regular use with wifi and gprs i hardly get a day in the note in Panandroid or even the Novic_Dev ROM which has good GPU control and lots of Voltage control.

I am trying to not overclock and see if its better when its at 1400 instead of 1600.

Nope I recently filled 6gb net pack so all the more no use for wifi except for PC and other devices. Here is the latest screenshot but now I'm purely showing off

Name:  ForumRunner_20120806_193833.png
Views: 364
Size:  128.6 KB

No I'm not overclocking at all even though I thought maybe I'd need to do so. But after installing the rom my phone performs without lag as of now.

Btw I deleted battery cache(iirc) from the recovery menu advanced option. You may try that and see if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju

Yes but to get that kind of battery backup from the stock setup with 4.0.3 is just amazing. The main advantage of the battery comes in if you switch off the screen then a lot more battery life.

Unlike yours if I keep the screen on with your usage , my battery would completely drain within 6hours. Yours is mighty impressive.

Cheers.
Old 6th August 2012, 20:04   #10539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Naveen which Satnav app do you use?

Sygic maps really drains the battery of my lil' HTC.
I use Waze and Gmaps. Waze is pretty good but my phone gets hot pretty quickly.
Old 6th August 2012, 20:55   #10540
BHPian

Hey friends, need your advice again. This time for a close friend (male, 26yrs). Needs the best Android phone in the budget of 25k to 28k. Note is to big for him and S2 is comparatively older model with chances of not getting official JB. Please suggest anything worth the money in that range except for those 2 models. Need to buy by tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th August 2012, 20:56   #10541
BHPian

Note users, Indian 4.0.4 DDLR6 is out. Although I'm on German xxlrk right now! Do upgrade and let us know how the phone behaves. Cheers!
Old 6th August 2012, 21:35   #10542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I was charging it through normal AC adapter. I have noticed this twice that if the battery goes below 10%, then this issues pop's up but if you start charging it around 15-17%, then its fine. I have a friend in office that has S3 as well. Have asked him to drain the battery till 6-7% and then charge. Want to see if this is one of case or a blunder from Samsung.
Let me see tomorrow on my S3 as well. I'm at 34% so by tomorrow should be around 6-7%.

Haven't noticed it till now. Last 2 times I charged only after it switched off.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:53   #10543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Has the 4.0.4 update for the Note come to India?

NOTE Users any luck?

I am facing serious battery issues which seem to have been addressed in the 4.0.4
I believe the battery issues in Note after upgrading to ICS are here to stay I don't believe 4.0.4 will be any good in the battery aspect.

With stock GingerBread, the battery used to last very long (upto 2 days with nominal usage).

The first upgrade to ICS was pathetic and the followup ICS 4.0.3 was slightly better but nowhere close to the previous GingerBread version.
On an average it used to last only 12 to 14 hours.

Shutting down the phone and removing the battery out for a minute would get temporarily give extended battery life.

A couple of days back, after charging to 100%, I found the charge down to 89% in just two hours without any usage. The phone was warm (like a warm potato)
I deactivated the data network mode, then the phone cooled and for the next 6 hours, the battery just dropped to 84% (from 89%)

So I've realized that the applications with all the Ads, updates etc are unnecessarily keeping the CPU busy and the network active even when i'm not using the data network.

So now I've started to deactivate the data network mode when don't need it and activate it only when i need to browse, check/sync mail, use GPS etc.
So the battery is discharging very slowly now ( In the last 14 hours it has dicharged to 65% with moderate usage).
Old 6th August 2012, 23:13   #10544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor
Note users, Indian 4.0.4 DDLR6 is out. Although I'm on German xxlrk right now! Do upgrade and let us know how the phone behaves. Cheers!
That's great news! Any idea if it is available OTA? Also any great add ons on the change log?
Old 6th August 2012, 23:16   #10545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster
Hey friends, need your advice again. This time for a close friend (male, 26yrs). Needs the best Android phone in the budget of 25k to 28k. Note is to big for him and S2 is comparatively older model with chances of not getting official JB. Please suggest anything worth the money in that range except for those 2 models. Need to buy by tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Sorry to bump this thread. How is the Xperia S ? Any user feedback for this model?

What other models are worth buying?

Most Viewed