Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 09:37   #10651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Another query - Xperia S needs a Micro SIM. Will I get that easily over here and in UK?
Getting a micro SIM would not be an issue either in India or UK. Generally the carrier can provide you with a micro SIM. If not, a regular SIM can be easily cut to make it a micro SIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I guess if your in a place with good coverage you wont even notice this shortcoming but if the network coverage is so so then your gonna be . But for 20k its a good phone,4 inch AMOLED screen is the main selling point i guess(cheapest android phone with AMOLED screen!)
Only other shortcoming is the lack of zoom feature in the native camera app,but there are other apps(sleek camera) in the market that will make do.Also no planned update to ICS will put off people who will not want to Flash different ROMs
Thanks for the feedback.

I am on Airtel network and the network coverage is good at my residence and office.

The sAMOLED display is just amazing. Its viewing angles and sunlight legibility are simply unmatched, though I'm not a fan of the over-saturated colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Here is the comparison between both. LTE, microSD, more HSDPA speed, bigger Battery are worth mentioning.
The Indian version of Xperia ion does not support LTE.

Rohan
Old 11th August 2012, 09:51   #10652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
1. Moto razr- beautiful design,nice screen,almost vanilla ICS, splash resistant and slightly tougher(needed in India!) rare phone so stands out,first choice!!

This phone will be with me for atleast min 3 to four years so i dont want to regret later
As one of the 1st (and probably the only) Razr owner on TBHP let me tell you that this phone rocks. I comparing it with my IP4s and the Razr has stood the test of time since Dec '11. So has the IP for that matter.

Moto's hardware is top notch that includes the construction and the mobile radio. Metal, glass and kevlar, hardly any plastic - which does make it feel like a phone that has been constructed with care. No plastic body, which is what puts me off Samsung. The latest ICS update is 4.0.4. No call drops, clear sound & great 3G performance at least on Vodafone in Pune. Check my speedtest results on the 'Atlast 3G in India' thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2855142

The biggest drawback is the issue with support - but if you treat the phone right you won't have any issues. The latest ICS update is 4.0.4. A few people have been facing issues with receiving SMSes. I am not sure if that is related to the phone or the network, it has worked flawlessly on my handset.

The other drawback is that the phone comes with a locked boot loader so there's not too much you can do as far as custom ROMs are concerned. Battery life is so so - 8-10 hrs with moderate to heavy usage. It has gone to max of little over 1.5-2 days without a charge with light usage.

Not sure what your budget is - but try going in for the Razr Maxx which has superb battery life.

Good luck!
Old 11th August 2012, 09:59   #10653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The Indian version of Xperia ion does not support LTE.

Rohan
Oops! Sorry for the error.

I was reading too much into Snapdeal.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-ion.png

Yes, as the said phone is Red colour there is no chance for it to be LTE.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 11th August 2012, 10:55   #10654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2

As one of the 1st (and probably the only) Razr owner on TBHP let me tell you that this phone rocks. I comparing it with my IP4s and the Razr has stood the test of time since Dec '11. So has the IP for that matter.

Moto's hardware is top notch that includes the construction and the mobile radio. Metal, glass and kevlar, hardly any plastic - which does make it feel like a phone that has been constructed with care. No plastic body, which is what puts me off Samsung. The latest ICS update is 4.0.4. No call drops, clear sound & great 3G performance at least on Vodafone in Pune. Check my speedtest results on the 'Atlast 3G in India' thread.

The biggest drawback is the issue with support - but if you treat the phone right you won't have any issues. The latest ICS update is 4.0.4. A few people have been facing issues with receiving SMSes. I am not sure if that is related to the phone or the network, it has worked flawlessly on my handset.

The other drawback is that the phone comes with a locked boot loader so there's not too much you can do as far as custom ROMs are concerned. Battery life is so so - 8-10 hrs with moderate to heavy usage. It has gone to max of little over 1.5-2 days without a charge with light usage.

Not sure what your budget is - but try going in for the Razr Maxx which has superb battery life.

Good luck!
+1 there. I own Razr Maxx and a Note. My dad owns G Nexus, my wife S2. After using note any phone feels tiny but if you don't compare 4.3 inch is great size . Let me add the true enjoyment of owing a smartphone is when you are able to use it without worrying about the battery life. That is where Maxx excels. I use it as a official phone and am connected to 3g 24 hrs and Bluetooth on 24 hours and since i work offsite my usage is very high and i play games too daily. With these I easily get 2 days. Now that's something. The phone does not lag a bit. The most used item which lags in most of the phones is the phonebook, in Maxx there is no lag. Topnotch call quality, loud speaker and excellent connection stability. Camera could have been better but it is good although not great. You can click photos while recording videos to.
Old 11th August 2012, 11:27   #10655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu

Oops! Sorry for the error.

I was reading too much into Snapdeal.

Yes, as the said phone is Red colour there is no chance for it to be LTE.

Cheers!

Vinu
IMO There is no need for LTE in near future. 3G is enough at least for 5 years in India. Excluding LTE SONY should launch it (ION) at competitive price and at least I shall consider it at the price of S as Note is large and hence one hand operation is very difficult. Build quality is also important for me.
Old 11th August 2012, 11:31   #10656
Senior - BHPian

Jus got the OTA notification for 4.04 update on the note. Since am away from home now, updating it on 3G. Here's a screen shot of the download screen

Name:  ForumRunner_20120811_113141.png
Views: 462
Size:  36.7 KB
Old 11th August 2012, 12:01   #10657
BHPian

Since the Note users are getting ICS 4.0.4, I think the same update should be in the pipeline for S2 owners. I am currently on ICS 4.0.3 and it is working about fine - One issue is that the stock browser keeps on crashing whenever I try to open it. Anyone has an idea when 4.0.4 will be out for S2?
Old 11th August 2012, 12:12   #10658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Camera could have been better but it is good although not great. You can click photos while recording videos to
Agreed - the camera is very average. Also forgot to add that I am not very happy with Wi-Fi performance. It tends to be slower than my IP4s. This could be a ROM specific problem and solvable via a software update. How do you find Wi-Fi with the Maxx?

Regards,
Old 11th August 2012, 12:13   #10659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Good luck!
Thanks alot! The razr maxx is way out of my budget but to get good battery life i am planning on getting something like thisAmazon.com: RAVPower Dynamo-On-the-Go Mobile Juice Pack 5200mAh External Battery Pack , High Capacity Power Bank Charger 1A output, for Apple: The New iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 4s 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch, Nano , Classic; Samsung: Galaxy Note N7000, Galaxy s
I also checked the xda developers forum and was happy to see good support for the droid razr/razr xt910. I think there are some custom roms available for the razr.If the current ICS version(4.0.4 right??) is stable then i dont think i will need any custom ROMs for now...
After your on the razr i feel this is the right phone for me.

Thank you once again
Old 11th August 2012, 12:20   #10660
Senior - BHPian

The update is over and the fone feels a whole lot faster now. The major tangible difference is the well spaced keyboard layout which has completely done away with the need for a third party KB App.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120811_122023.png
Views: 482
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120811_122041.png
Views: 512
Size:  47.9 KB
Old 11th August 2012, 12:24   #10661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
The update is over and the fone feels a whole lot faster now. The major tangible difference is the well spaced keyboard layout which has completely done away with the need for a third party KB App.
Good to hear that you too noticed the faster UI. Here are some more additions that I noticed. Check this post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2867815

Let me know if there are more features.
Old 11th August 2012, 12:41   #10662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2

Agreed - the camera is very average. Also forgot to add that I am not very happy with Wi-Fi performance. It tends to be slower than my IP4s. This could be a ROM specific problem and solvable via a software update. How do you find Wi-Fi with the Maxx?

Regards,
I don't see any problem with WiFi. You tube videos run without any lag and that is the most demanding download i do i believe over wifi. Mail attachments etc are downloaded in same manner like my note over 3g.
Old 11th August 2012, 16:14   #10663
Senior - BHPian

Final call - Samsung Galaxy S Advance OR HTC One V?

Guys I have to make final decision so please tell me the pros and cons of both phones.

There is no no front cam/dual core in one v but same is present in galaxy advance s but the former comes with android 4.0 whereas the latter one is still shipped with old version - is it up-gradable? Which of the two are latest model in market?

What is the best price of both phones?
Old 11th August 2012, 16:24   #10664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Final call - Samsung Galaxy S Advance OR HTC One V?

Guys I have to make final decision so please tell me the pros and cons of both phones.

There is no no front cam/dual core in one v but same is present in galaxy advance s but the former comes with android 4.0 whereas the latter one is still shipped with old version - is it up-gradable? Which of the two are latest model in market?

What is the best price of both phones?
My dad uses the S advance, Dual core phone with great AMOLED screen.Only issue is the lack of zoom feature in native camera app,slight network issues( explained it couple of pages back),its not a big issue though and main issues if it bothers you, no future upgrade to ICS!! I dont know how much dev support this phone has.

The one v has a single core and the only USP of that phone is ICS with sense 4, rest hardware specs are less compared to the S advance.

The lowest online price i found is 19.2k for the GS advance and 17.45k for the one v.List of Android phones in India 2012 | Android Phones price in India 2012

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 11th August 2012 at 16:25.
Old 11th August 2012, 16:41   #10665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
I don't see any problem with WiFi. You tube videos run without any lag and that is the most demanding download i do i believe over wifi. Mail attachments etc are downloaded in same manner like my note over 3g.
I find it way slower than my IP4s when downloading apps, software updates or even Youtube videos.

The heaviest download I did was an update to the latest version of the Sygic software - around 950 MB. Wi-fi was so slow that I shifted over to 3G to complete the download early. It even disconnects at times. It may be an issue of compatability with my wi-fi router - it's an older model, though I cannot figure out why the iPhone works perfectly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks