Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2012, 09:47   #10771
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Someone has given you wrong info.

I got my Nexus from Play Store and it cost USD 389 incl shipping and taxes. Yes it did take 5 days for delivery, but that's better than paying extra (on the base price itself, not to mention shipping) on Amazon.

And btw, there is no 'Chinese-made' which you 'might get' from the grey market. I have checked out the handset in Alfa and it's the same one that Play Store is selling.
In my case, my cousin was leaving the US in 4 days and Google helpline were not clear that they could expedite the order and since we didnt want to take that risk, we ordered from Amazon with that little extra for 1 day shipping.

I agree that you do get those same handsets here but at times, you never know.
Old 18th August 2012, 11:01   #10772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus I9250 HSPA+ GSM unlocked. Retails at Play Store for USD 349+taxes. If you have a friend to bring it down for you, nothing beats it at that price. Else buy from grey market here for 23-25k.
Though the G nexus is a great phone but the lack of warranty is thing going to be a problem.In the event that something goes wrong, hardware or software you dont want to carry a 22k paper weight! It happened to my cousin who got the g nexus from the UK.It had a screen problem and now its collecting dust in a corner. If the guys in the grey market know hot to fix the common issues then its fine.
Old 18th August 2012, 11:16   #10773
BHPian

My HTC sensation displayed died, gave it for servicing but still no news. I called customer care they ask me to call collecting agent, if I call collecting agent they ask me to contact customer care. I can't even get estimate by when I will get my phone bk, it's already 2 weeks.
Old 18th August 2012, 16:46   #10774
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am helping a friend buy his 1st Android. He has shortlisted Defy +

He doesnt think paying extra 1.5-2k for Defy XT is worth as he hardly needs the front facing camera and as far as my understanding goes, Defy + has more user memory than Defy XT. Now the confusion is, most stores in Ahmedabad do not stock Defy +; so we have to go the online way.

I did check out the prices and i am getting some crazy rates. Dont remember seeing so much difference ever for any products.

1. Flipkart : Rs. 13999
2. Buytheprice: Rs.13,450
3. Infibeam : Rs.12,750 ( 13299 - 550 cash back)

I dont intend to use Snapdeal as we recently got one phone from them and the service was pathetic. Anyways, Thats a different story. So Infibeam is 1250/- Rs cheaper. I called up Infibeam and since they are based in Ahmedabad only, they assured delivery in 2 working days MAX. Has anyone ever used Infibeam? reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 18th August 2012 at 16:51.
Old 18th August 2012, 16:54   #10775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
The other issue is that while the native app for exchange mail shows number of unread messages on the home screen, the native gmail app only shows a notification symbol on top left. Any clue?
If you pull down the notification bar, I guess it does show the number of unread messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Meanwhile, just discovered that HDFC bank at least has an Android app which can do most things that can be done thru their Netbanking. Gawd knows when IDBI and others will offer the same.
Even ICICI offers such an app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/imobile
Old 18th August 2012, 22:00   #10776
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any users of the Xperia Sola on the forum ? How good is this phone. The hardware specs seem good and the phone is to get ICS soon.

Any better alternatives around this price..?
Old 18th August 2012, 23:11   #10777
BHPian

Micromax Pixel A90 : Pixel A90: Micromax's mid-range challenge
Old 18th August 2012, 23:25   #10778
BHPian

Suggestions !
A friend of mine wants buy an android for 11-13 K Max.
GPU, Specs wont matter much to her, She just wants one with a decent processor speed, adequate screen size, SHOULD have 'white'color as an option.

Suggest some reliable ones. For now i have suggested a samsung galaxy ace.

I don't want to suggest anything that may have reliability issues. Might as well suggest HTCs as well.
Old 18th August 2012, 23:27   #10779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Guys, any users of the Xperia Sola on the forum ? How good is this phone. The hardware specs seem good and the phone is to get ICS soon.

Any better alternatives around this price..?
Hi Tarun,

I had got Xperia Sola for my father. Here is a short review of the phone I had posted quite some time back on this thread itself:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2782577

I have said many things in the review which have some what changed now. In short my final words would be that this phone is good for first time Android users who have low to moderate usage. I do not think this phone will be good for lots of gaming etc. If you have any further questions kindly let me know.

Thanks
Saanil
Old 19th August 2012, 00:10   #10780
Senior - BHPian

A reason to cheer for Sony Xperia S owners. It will run official Google Android SW.

Sony Xperia S will get vanilla Android as a Google experiment - GSMArena.com news

I wish all of our phones get this option. Time to get rid of all the OEM crapware that makes Android a painful experience even on dual core processors.
Old 19th August 2012, 00:31   #10781
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks Saanil. A friend is looking for a phone & I'm wondering which phone to suggest. She does not like the looks of the HTC One V, the Sola has a bad battery, the S advance has a lot of people complaining about signal issues and the phone isn't upgradable to ICS. I already have the Atrix 2, I love the phone but usually don't recommend Moto's to my non geeky friends, lest something goes wrong and they curse me .

The Neo L I think is a little expensive for what it offers and we've run out of options !! Probably the Galaxy Ace 2 seems like a decent phone. Wonder when its launching & its price.
Old 19th August 2012, 00:31   #10782
BHPian

I heard Galaxy Nexus is now available in Samsung stores in India
Price 25,600.
Old 19th August 2012, 01:49   #10783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I am helping a friend buy his 1st Android. He has shortlisted Defy +
Yes, as mentioned earlier, it is reliable seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Even ICICI offers such an app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/imobile
Yes, I saw that when I saw the HDFC app on G Play. But unfortunately, very few Indian banks seem to be offering apps as of date. Actually, an app is not that much of a deal if you have netbanking, but if the app has online cheque deposit facility would be way more useful, as it would save trips to the bank/ATM for so many people. Actually, if this is possible, they should have offered this facility thru pc+scanner long ago. But they have chosen not to bother.
Old 19th August 2012, 01:55   #10784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
1. Flipkart : Rs. 13999
2. Buytheprice: Rs.13,450
3. Infibeam : Rs.12,750 ( 13299 - 550 cash back)

So Infibeam is 1250/- Rs cheaper. I called up Infibeam and since they are based in Ahmedabad only, they assured delivery in 2 working days MAX. Has anyone ever used Infibeam? reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
I bought my Defy+ from Infibeam for 2 reasons:
1. Best price amongst all online and offline stores
2. Good reviews about fast and efficient delivery. Also, they have a 30 day replacement warranty in case you receive a defective handset

However, I was let down by them on the delivery timeline. I ordered on Sat and was expecting it to be delivered by Tuesday/Wednesday. But they shipped it out only on Thursday and hence it reached me on Friday. So thats like 1 week. So if time ain't of essence, I would recommend IB. Btw, in my case, I was told it will be shipped from Mahipalpur, Delhi NCR. So I dont' think Ahd'bd would be in the equation in your case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
I heard Galaxy Nexus is now available in Samsung stores in India
Price 25,600.
Really? Surprising that they launched such an epic phone without any fanfare/full page ad/celebrity endorsement etc. Esp because we are talking Samsung here, who ropes in Nargis Fakhri for S3 launch!
Old 19th August 2012, 07:29   #10785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
A reason to cheer for Sony Xperia S owners. It will run official Google Android SW.

Sony Xperia S will get vanilla Android as a Google experiment - GSMArena.com news

I wish all of our phones get this option. Time to get rid of all the OEM crapware that makes Android a painful experience even on dual core processors.
I am sorry for being noob but -

I currently have the Xperia S which is running on ICS. How better will be the upgrade?

Most Viewed