Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 23:07   #10666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Independence Day offer on ebay - Samsung S3 for 32,990. Valid till 16th August. It's a good deal right? I got my Note for the same price a month back.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 11th August 2012 at 23:08.
Old 12th August 2012, 00:08   #10667
Senior - BHPian

S2 for 23799 today's deal at hs18.
Old 12th August 2012, 12:43   #10668
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

A little help here. My cousin ordered a motorola defy xt from snapdeal. The phone arrived in the said delivery period and in sealed box. But the issue he is facing is that everytime he plugs in his charger he gets a "?" On his battery symbol with a message " please insert a genuine motorola battery". He has raised this issue with snapdeal and they have agreed to replace the piece.

What could be the possible issue here? What you guys recon; take replacement or refund? Could that be a genuine manufacturing defect or snapdeal issue?

Thanks.
Old 12th August 2012, 15:06   #10669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello,

A little help here. My cousin ordered a motorola defy xt from snapdeal. The phone arrived in the said delivery period and in sealed box. But the issue he is facing is that everytime he plugs in his charger he gets a "?" On his battery symbol with a message " please insert a genuine motorola battery". He has raised this issue with snapdeal and they have agreed to replace the piece.

What could be the possible issue here? What you guys recon; take replacement or refund? Could that be a genuine manufacturing defect or snapdeal issue?

Thanks.
Irrelevant. There is absolutely no point discussing on a day old piece.

just check with a different charger if the problem still remains. if it does, replace it.

and if he wants tomod, he better get defy+, not XT. or do our defy roms work happily on XT?
Old 12th August 2012, 15:29   #10670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

Irrelevant. There is absolutely no point discussing on a day old piece.

just check with a different charger if the problem still remains. if it does, replace it.

and if he wants tomod, he better get defy+, not XT. or do our defy roms work happily on XT?
Checked different charger and a different plug point as well as usb. All same. Sorry about typo; he got defy mini not xt. My bad.

I guess best would be to wait for replacement piece n hope that one turns out alright.
Old 12th August 2012, 18:07   #10671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Independence Day offer on ebay - Samsung S3 for 32,990. Valid till 16th August. It's a good deal right? I got my Note for the same price a month back.
Seller / Dealer warranty...
Old 12th August 2012, 18:52   #10672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I would suggest HTC One X for 32k on ebay. Fantastic phone and the best / latest in market.
Quote:
1. Galaxy Nexus ( good phone, decent camera, you get all Android updates faster than others)

2. Motorola Atrix 2 (fantastic product at 20-22k price range)

3. Motorola Razr Maxx (thin, amazing battery backup, superb screen)

4. Samsung Galaxy S2 ( many would say its old n all etc. but for me i still consider this as a one of the best droids out there in that range)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Xperia S is much better than Galaxy II.
i really hate plastic body of Galaxy and the phone is somewhat old also.
Xperia S build quality is really fantastic and specifications are latest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If you could wait for a few months, Xperia ion could be a better option. It would have slightly bigger display, slightly better battery and expandable memory.

Xperia P is also another option, if you prefer metal body. Specs are inferior to Xperia S and so is the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
If you are ok with no warranty, just head over to Alfa and buy the Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus for 23k. Its the best/most capable Android phone out there and you won't be bothering yourself with updates, as they will be delivered first-in-the-world.
Quote:
Xperia Ion price has been announced today. I don't feel its worth the extra 7k as compared to Xperia S. (I was expecting it to be priced at par with Xperia S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Here is the comparison between both. LTE, microSD, more HSDPA speed, bigger Battery are worth mentioning.

Cheers!

Vinu
Quote:
Getting a micro SIM would not be an issue either in India or UK. Generally the carrier can provide you with a micro SIM. If not, a regular SIM can be easily cut to make it a micro SIM.
Thank you for all your suggestions my friends.

With your advices in mind and comparing the specs on paper, I shortlisted the Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Sony Xperia P, Sony Xperia S and HTC One X.

I was somehow not too keen to buy a Motorola. Google Nexus One, though a good phone, felt a bit outdated now. Also, some specs were lower than my current phone and I dint want to downgrade!

To be very honest, I had a look at the Galaxy S2 and when compared to the Xperias, it looked "pale". Hence the S2 was striked out. The S3 was way too expensive and also did not have the premium look of the HTC and the Sony, in my opinion. Hence, the Samsungs were out. When compared to the Xperia P, the Xperia S was just about 4k more, which I thought was justified after looking at the specs.

Finally, I was left with the HTC One X and the Xperia S. I went to the retailer and did a thorough comparo of both. Though the HTC was very good looking, it was not a match to the Xperia S in my humble opinion. Other important factor was that the Xperia S offered a 12 MP cam when compared to the 8 MP of the HTC.

Yes, the HTC is quad core but as I read in a particular review, the Xperia S is quite a strong performer in itself and the quad core v/s dual core debate is more of a matter of pride than performance! Final blow was that the HTC was more expensive than the Sony, which I felt was not justified.

Hence, I bought a white Sony Xperia S for 28k.

I have had the phone just for a few hours now, so all I can say about it is -

* It looks splendid in white.
* The display is amazing, the best I have seen so far. I feel is a tad better than the iPhone, however I have not done a comparo yet.
* The touch response is really smooth and fluid.
* Some reviews mention that the capacitive buttons in the bottom of the screen are hard to operate, honestly I did not feel so.
* Cam quality is excellent, however it takes as extra second to focus.

Yes, the phone is Ice Cream Sandwich ready. As soon as I connected it to Wi-Fi, it asked me for an update. However, I will be doing it tomorrow.

Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-xperias.jpg  

Old 12th August 2012, 19:39   #10673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Google Nexus One, though a good phone, felt a bit outdated now. Also, some specs were lower than my current phone and I dint want to downgrade!
Sorry to burst your bubble but you compared the wrong model. Of course, Google Nexus One would feel outdated, simply because, it is a phone from 2010! But FYI, when it was launched, it was a segment leader.

But then, if your priority was to compare the right one in flesh, that would have been possible only at HP or Alfa anyway, as this phone ain't gonna touch Indian shores officially.

I had mentioned Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus. That's the latest on the market. And like I said earlier, if you can have all (and some more) features vis-a-vis competition+the promise of getting the latest OS update first-in-the-world, it makes Nexus a VERY compelling and a no-brainer proposition!
Old 12th August 2012, 19:56   #10674
BANNED

Ics 4.0.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Just plug your phone using USB to the PC. Open kies and you will get the notification on the Kies home screen (Upgrade to latest firmware). If you dont get just try to update the Kies software to the latest release. Once done, click "Update Firmware" found on the home screen. The upgrade process will start once you click it. It will first download the files and then the installation is started. Once the installation is complete, the phone will restart (automatically).
Thanks Did it and phone UI feels different now.The noticeable difference i could see it the well spaced out keypads and now Sound/Vibrate/Mute shows in notification bar which earlier used to be just pictures
Old 12th August 2012, 22:42   #10675
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here using Sony Experia U and could i get a feedback. I got a Nokia C6-01 with Belle which is 7 months old but giving lots of trouble so i thought of getting a droid. Was thinking of Samsung Galaxy ACE but then saw Xperia U. So just wanted to get some thoughts on it.

Thanks Guys.
Old 13th August 2012, 01:36   #10676
Senior - BHPian

This is for Motorola Defy Plus users only.

I am checking out XDA Forum for threads on custom ROMs, especially CM9. It shows "For ICS CM9 Quarx Builds (Defy/Defy+ GB Kernel)- No longer built".

Does it mean that final stable version has been released? Or is it because JB CM10 Quarx Builds (Defy/Defy+ GB Kernel) is the focus now?

I can't seem to figure out the difference between Quarx's and Epsylon3's builds!

Also, if I do intend to flash CM9 (ICS 4.0.4) on my MB526, can someone point me to the correct XDA thread? I did find a procedure through Google (here) but it uses nightly build so I'm not sure how stable that will be.

P.S. For Jellybean 4.1.1 - is this the most current working ROM?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 13th August 2012 at 01:38.
Old 13th August 2012, 06:50   #10677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

Hence, I bought a white Sony Xperia S for 28k.

Congratulations on your new buy. Is that the image of your own phone in your post? Why does it carry Sony Ericsson branding? I thought the new Xperias carried SONY branding?
Old 13th August 2012, 09:19   #10678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
This is for Motorola Defy Plus users only.

I am checking out XDA Forum for threads on custom ROMs, especially CM9. It shows "For ICS CM9 Quarx Builds (Defy/Defy+ GB Kernel)- No longer built".

Does it mean that final stable version has been released? Or is it because JB CM10 Quarx Builds (Defy/Defy+ GB Kernel) is the focus now?

I can't seem to figure out the difference between Quarx's and Epsylon3's builds!

Also, if I do intend to flash CM9 (ICS 4.0.4) on my MB526, can someone point me to the correct XDA thread? I did find a procedure through Google (here) but it uses nightly build so I'm not sure how stable that will be.

P.S. For Jellybean 4.1.1 - is this the most current working ROM?
Hi nishant,

I used the CM9 16/7 built for a while but since the CM10 builts on xda were out been on that. I had posted some screen shots too a few pages ago. I just flashed the 10/8 CM10 nightly and can safely say its a "stable" rom with all necessary things functioning the way they should. The only thing that remains for me to test is the battery drain & i shall be able to confirm on that only after 1-2 battery recharge cycles.

If you are unsure about CM10 nightly you can safely go for CM9. Its been there for a while and a very stable rom.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 13th August 2012 at 09:22.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:07   #10679
Senior - BHPian

Guys, does anyone know if there any good GPS software apart from Speedview for android? Would like to have the following features, if possible, in the order of priority

1. Top speed
2. Average speed
3. Idle time
4. Running time
5. Elevation
6. Draws a map/chart showing speed & time to plot the stretches in the map
7. Good if units are in metrics
8. Integrate/maps easily with GMap
Old 13th August 2012, 11:09   #10680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi nishant,

If you are unsure about CM10 nightly you can safely go for CM9. Its been there for a while and a very stable rom.

Regards,
^Or try the AOKP ROM and let us know how it fares?

The videos of AOKP on Youtube look really good - lot of customization options.

[ROMS ICS JB] AOSP Paradise - Get your JB AOKP&ICS Salad Bar delivered here - xda-developers

Look for AOKP - JB Alpha 12 Aug

Most Viewed