Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 11:01   #10696
BHPian

Recently got a S2, and I'm looking for a durable case or flip Cover. Any shops around marathalli where i can collect one?
Old 14th August 2012, 11:52   #10697
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

*I* would buy another motorola phone again (if i get good prices ofc).

/gotten the defy smashed twice and repaired in <15 mins both times. Hassle-free pleasant service and all parts available with some body parts thrown in free as well.
+1. The news item has little impact for end consumers. You are buying a single or perhaps two phones. I don't see how this business decision will even affect end users in any way.

The challenge to find Moto phones in the market/ at malls/ at mobile shops made it extremely difficult to buy the Defy last year. It was like buying a car without a test drive.
However, now, I see the situation is improving and I do see Defy variants in Chroma and other places.

So, compared to last year, we have more models to chose from, more visibility in offline stores and perhaps better availability of spares (and yes, more custom ROM options to chose from).
This is the best time to buy a Moto.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:30   #10698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The challenge to find Moto phones in the market/ at malls/ at mobile shops made it extremely difficult to buy the Defy last year. It was like buying a car without a test drive.
However, now, I see the situation is improving and I do see Defy variants in Chroma and other places.
oh yes, you even get accessories in open market now! when i bought my defy, i had to buy accessories from ebay hongkong only!!
Old 14th August 2012, 13:41   #10699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Recently got a S2, and I'm looking for a durable case or flip Cover. Any shops around marathalli where i can collect one?
Comfortable ordering one online?

Cases And Covers Price List India: Mobile-accessories: Flipkart.com
Old 14th August 2012, 13:45   #10700
BHPian

Quote:
Relax, you are getting a phone not a car - it is NOT going away in the next 1-2 years.

The india presence that is being cut will be on the software side, not the marketing side.

They have been let down by bad pricing and zero visibility - BUT the products and the service is good enough.

*I* would buy another motorola phone again (if i get good prices ofc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
+1. The news item has little impact for end consumers. You are buying a single or perhaps two phones. I don't see how this business decision will even affect end users in any way.
I guess if Moto says its going to scale back its presence in India means we are going to get very few and delayed bug fixes and the service centers will be devoid of some rare parts.I assume this will happen if moto has no roadmap for India for the next 2 years.

I was surprised to read motorolas statement on focusing on other centers(US,china etc) and ignoring India and south Asian countries, hope its only in its global R&D department and not in local service and updates.

Will defer my purchase and see whats moto really upto.
Quote:
/gotten the defy smashed twice and repaired in <15 mins both times. Hassle-free pleasant service and all parts available with some body parts thrown in free as well.
My friend dint have a good experience with the service. His defys micro usb port got damaged and the service guys are waiting for that part to come from moto for the past 15 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Moto isn't doing well in many countries and till Google restructures the company and streamlines ops they will continue to drift. They aren't doing well in India, or most places for that matter, and streamlining will impact jobs in Moto India. They have a dev centre in BLR and one in Pune too among other offices.

Not sure if India will be a focus market though it should be given that we have some of the highest mobility growth rates and market size in the world.
This much like the situation in Fiat India - great products, company in difficulty.

Frankly, If I were you I'd hold back on the purchase - with a wait and watch attitude. Let Moto make its plans for India public. Or go with some other make/brand.
Will surely wait and see.Always loved Motos phones right from the original Razr v3,the Rokr to the defy, Will not easily give up
Old 14th August 2012, 14:00   #10701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I wanted to pick one from a shop today, as i am travelling and hence wouldnt be able to pick it up if ordered online
Old 14th August 2012, 14:02   #10702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I guess if Moto says its going to scale back its presence in India...I was surprised to read motorolas statement on focusing on other centers(US,china etc) and ignoring India and south Asian countries, .
+1

The thing to remember is that they have NOT mentioned what areas are going to be affected. It's a wait and watch scene.

If the shrinking will affect Ops (Sales & Marketing, After sales Service, et al) rather than Technology (mainly design & development of software and possibly hardware), we as customers should be wary.

While I too really like Moto phones (had the original Razr in 2004 and a Rokr in 2006) Google may take this company on a strategic path that is yet to be announced to the public. It is this clarification which must be issued before customers can decide whether or not to go for Moto's products. I was always hoping for Moto's growth now that it is in Google's fold. Alas, it seems some bloodletting and contraction will happen before growth.

Quote:
Will surely wait and see.Always loved Motos phones right from the original Razr v3,the Rokr to the defy, Will not easily give up
Waiting to see how things unfold would be a sensible thing to do. Unfortunately I do not share either optimism or a blasé outlook articulated in recent posts by other TBHPians. Rs 30k is not exactly pocket change. I love my Moto Razr..and hope that Moto continues & expands its presence in India instead of pulling out. Time will tell.
Old 14th August 2012, 14:10   #10703
BHPian

Anyone got their hands on the Nexus 7? I'm planning to get one from US , but i heard there are quite a lot of quality issues like screen lift, dead pixels ..etc. ([Q] POLL: List Of Known Faults - PLEASE VOTE - xda-developers ).

Does the Nexus 7 come with a Global Warranty, and would Asus India support if any issues pop up ?
Old 14th August 2012, 14:16   #10704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Anyone got their hands on the Nexus 7? I'm planning to get one from US , but i heard there are quite a lot of quality issues like screen lift, dead pixels ..etc. ([Q] POLL: List Of Known Faults - PLEASE VOTE - xda-developers ).

Does the Nexus 7 come with a Global Warranty, and would Asus India support if any issues pop up ?
I was in the same confusion state and decided to back out from getting one from US and rather wait till it officially launches in India in Oct 2012. considering i get the 16GB variant nexus 7 @ $249 + shipping + tax the landing comes to around $270-$275 to my sisters place in US which works out to around ₹15k. So i thought that i would instead wait till its officially launched or get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which has same screen size and 16GB with the provision of expandable memory slot and a 3G Sim compatibility & most important WARRANTY.

Just my 2 cents

Regards,
Old 14th August 2012, 14:38   #10705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l

I was in the same confusion state and decided to back out from getting one from US and rather wait till it officially launches in India in Oct 2012. considering i get the 16GB variant nexus 7 @ $249 + shipping + tax the landing comes to around $270-$275 to my sisters place in US which works out to around ₹15k. So i thought that i would instead wait till its officially launched or get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which has same screen size and 16GB with the provision of expandable memory slot and a 3G Sim compatibility & most important WARRANTY.

Just my 2 cents

Regards,
Me too in the same boat. But the Nexus has its own advantages. 4 cores and an excellent GPU. Unmatched dev support and Google branding with jelly bean. I am planning to buy the 8gb one. Landing cost would be naerly 13k which is great for a tablet of that genre.

IMHO google has never launched nexus products in india. They may have future plans.
Old 14th August 2012, 14:51   #10706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Me too in the same boat. But the Nexus has its own advantages. 4 cores and an excellent GPU. Unmatched dev support and Google branding with jelly bean. I am planning to buy the 8gb one. Landing cost would be naerly 13k which is great for a tablet of that genre.

IMHO google has never launched nexus products in india. They may have future plans.
My colleague who is now in US bought one, and its been running fine for him since last 2 weeks, and he is pretty happy with it. No issues so far. But if the one he gets for me happens to be from that defective batch , it would be bad

In a dilemma now
Old 14th August 2012, 16:29   #10707
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
About flipkart buying experience, I ordered a case for my galaxy Note from flipkart. Capdase SL00P100A-S101 Universal Pouch | Cases Covers | Flipkart.com

It says it's compatible with N7000. But when the product arrived, it was not even one third the size of my phone. Fortunately I had opted for Cash on Delivery. And immediately asked the delivery boy to return my money. After a few calls here and there he returned the money.

I am now looking to buy a pouch in mumbai this weekend. Any place in Mumbai where I can get good options at good price? I already have a flip cover. So looking for a simple and elegant looking pouch

Last edited by ottocycle : 14th August 2012 at 16:35.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:35   #10708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I am now looking to buy a pouch in mumbai this weekend. Any place in Mumbai where I can get good options at good price?
I have generally had good experienced with Flipkart.

Anyways, in Mumbai, I have seen Croma, Ezone, Vijay Sales, etc. keep these kind of covers and pouches. You will get the generic branded covers, but you may not get the 'Sony' or 'Samsung' covers.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:56   #10709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which has same screen size and 16GB with the provision of expandable memory slot and a 3G Sim compatibility & most important WARRANTY.
Trust me on this one - buy the iPad2 than the Tab2. Its much more value man. There's a reason iPad RULES the high end tablet market (excluding the $200 price point).

Quote:
I guess if Moto says its going to scale back its presence in India means we are going to get very few and delayed bug fixes and the service centers will be devoid of some rare parts.I assume this will happen if moto has no roadmap for India for the next 2 years.

Yaar, this is ALL bunkum. They are still selling in India, and by choosing not to buy, you are killing the company only. If you like it, buy it. Like I said, its not disappearing in next 1-2 years given google's finances.

Let me give you a different data point and share a different reality Indian BHPians here completely and conveniently ignore - HTC's financial debacle. Here is a stock that has fallen from 800 to 236 TWD in a year (301 today). Would you not consider it as a finished horse in the race? Would you not give it a worse chance at survival than Moto, who still have Google cash to call upon?

HTC CORPORATION TWD10 Share Price Chart | 2498.TW - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance

Yet, every single guy who plans a 35k purchase considers the OneX seriously (and is advised to do so). On the other hand, Every single guy who has 28k is told to stay away from Moto Razr because of Moto finances.

I mean, for God's sake, what kind of convoluted logic do most of us apply when buying phones?

Think about it. Moto is like the Fiat of phones - they refuse to die, and most of us love to bash them/their service without owning one.
Old 14th August 2012, 19:01   #10710
Senior - BHPian

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Full phone specifications)

What is the Street price from gray market? To me it seems an ideal phone because of decent hardware and unmolested Android build.

Most Viewed