Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 00:45   #10756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thank you for that link nishanth!
I ruled out S3 as well as Razr maxx because of their stupid Pentile layout of display pixels. One X is by far the best one to buy as far as my research goes. With this price, I don't see any point in spending 30K for razr maxx, I'd rather put 3.4K more get the OneX!
Finally I see some sensible person out there who is not affected by the hype and marketing of S3 and is making an informed decision. Appreciate your sense there!

But just out of curiosity, are you also keeping the Nexus in comparison? You *might* just not want to go for HTC One X if you see my point! At 10k less than HOX, Nexus packs some serious punch man!
Old 17th August 2012, 08:50   #10757
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for that link nishanth!
I ruled out S3 as well as Razr maxx because of their stupid Pentile layout of display pixels. One X is by far the best one to buy as far as my research goes. With this price, I don't see any point in spending 30K for razr maxx, I'd rather put 3.4K more get the OneX!
I completely agree with you. And during the one day I got to play around with S3 I noticed there is a bluish tint to the display other than the usual pen tile artifacts. I think its something to do with the pixel arrangement? But its RGBG I read around. Anyway I was completely disappointed with this fact as I browse a reasonable time on mobile screen and I any day want a perfect white, and white for S3 is bluish One X was noticeably superior to the S3 screen. I've seen it around 32-33K somewhere on eBay. Go for it friend
Old 17th August 2012, 09:28   #10758
Senior - BHPian

SGS2 to get Jelly Bean in a month or two.

Samsung Galaxy S II to get Jelly Bean in a month or two - GSMArena.com news
Old 17th August 2012, 15:53   #10759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Finally I see some sensible person out there who is not affected by the hype and marketing of S3 and is making an informed decision. Appreciate your sense there!

But just out of curiosity, are you also keeping the Nexus in comparison? You *might* just not want to go for HTC One X if you see my point! At 10k less than HOX, Nexus packs some serious punch man!
The more the marketing gimmicks of a brand, the more distance I keep from it I will look closely at the specs and try to decide. But in that process, I may miss out on some models as well! Which nexus are we talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I completely agree with you. And during the one day I got to play around with S3 I noticed there is a bluish tint to the display other than the usual pen tile artifacts. I think its something to do with the pixel arrangement? But its RGBG I read around. Anyway I was completely disappointed with this fact as I browse a reasonable time on mobile screen and I any day want a perfect white, and white for S3 is bluish One X was noticeably superior to the S3 screen. I've seen it around 32-33K somewhere on eBay. Go for it friend
It has got to do with the sub-pixel arrangement and also that AMOLED displays are strong on colors and vibrancy. We have LEDs with different colors but not all of them produce the same light output per area. Whatever it is, I just don't want to spot those tiny dots in my display! In S3, it may not be that noticeable due to a higher pixel density, but in an AMOLED display with less pixel density, it looks horrible. (Example - HTC Desire's AMOLED version. Compare it with the S-LCD version of the same phone and you will see a world of difference.)

Last edited by clevermax : 17th August 2012 at 15:54.
Old 17th August 2012, 15:57   #10760
Senior - BHPian

Bought myself a Samsung galaxy Tab 2 (GT-P3100) 7.0
Funky machine. I LOVE the looks I get when holding this thing to my ear. Reminds me of a tagline "LIVE IT LARGE".
ICS 4.0.3 at 19.5k is worth every penny.

Raab rakha.
Old 17th August 2012, 16:48   #10761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Bought myself a Samsung galaxy Tab 2 (GT-P3100) 7.0..
ICS 4.0.3 at 19.5k is worth every penny..
OTA update to 4.0.4 available for Tab2. Please check and upgrade.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 17th August 2012 at 17:09.
Old 17th August 2012, 20:07   #10762
BHPian

One very good and one very bad thing happened this week. I received ipad 2 and a Samsung Galaxy S3 as a gift. Now, you may ask which is good and which is bad.

I am having loads of fun with the ipad. The user interface is beyond comprehension. However, I am very dissatisfied with the S3. I am hoping if I can get some help here, maybe I can live with it till the iphone 5 comes out.

This is the first time that I am using an apple or an android.

My issues with the S3 are:-
1. The text messages appear as a conversation and there is no way to get the old school view of "Inbox, Sent, Outbox, Drafts"
2. Unlike Apple/BB, there seems to be no way to consolidate emails into a single client. I need to consolidate my gmail and my office exchange mails in a way that they appear in a combined view and when I reply, it goes from the respective mailbox. Possible?
3. The exchange mail does not work unless you set up a security pin on the device.

If this is the best android in the market today, then I have no clue what mid and low end androids must be upto. There is just too much customization and the stock apps and email clients just seem useless.
Old 17th August 2012, 20:16   #10763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
My issues with the S3 are:-
1. The text messages appear as a conversation and there is no way to get the old school view of "Inbox, Sent, Outbox, Drafts"
2. Unlike Apple/BB, there seems to be no way to consolidate emails into a single client. I need to consolidate my gmail and my office exchange mails in a way that they appear in a combined view and when I reply, it goes from the respective mailbox. Possible?
3. The exchange mail does not work unless you set up a security pin on the device.
Never really got concerned with the conversation view and explored for the old school view, but I think, the native messaging app does not provide that option. Maybe, some third party app like Go Messaging does.

For consolidating mail account, try K9 mail. Haven't configured exchange mail on mine, so can't comment on the pin part.
Old 18th August 2012, 00:56   #10764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which nexus are we talking about?
The Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus I9250 HSPA+ GSM unlocked. Retails at Play Store for USD 349+taxes. If you have a friend to bring it down for you, nothing beats it at that price. Else buy from grey market here for 23-25k.
Old 18th August 2012, 01:48   #10765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice

Never really got concerned with the conversation view and explored for the old school view, but I think, the native messaging app does not provide that option. Maybe, some third party app like Go Messaging does.

For consolidating mail account, try K9 mail. Haven't configured exchange mail on mine, so can't comment on the pin part.
Thanks, tried K9 but it's not allowed on my corp network. They suggested Touchdown instead.
The other issue is that while the native app for exchange mail shows number of unread messages on the home screen, the native gmail app only shows a notification symbol on top left. Any clue?
Old 18th August 2012, 03:35   #10766
Senior - BHPian

Despertely waiting for Indian Banks to offer this - Chase Mobile app for Android: Deposit checks with your cameraphone Will save me so many trips to ATMs.

Meanwhile, just discovered that HDFC bank at least has an Android app which can do most things that can be done thru their Netbanking. Gawd knows when IDBI and others will offer the same.
Old 18th August 2012, 03:45   #10767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Despertely waiting for Indian Banks to offer this - Chase Mobile app for Android: Deposit checks with your cameraphone Will save me so many trips to ATMs.

Meanwhile, just discovered that HDFC bank at least has an Android app which can do most things that can be done thru their Netbanking. Gawd knows when IDBI and others will offer the same.
Banks in India are way behind in offering a good mobile experience. I realized this after coming here in the US. Almost every bank offers this feature of depositing checks through the app - Mobile Check Deposit from Bank of America

It's very very handy and saves a lot of time.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:10   #10768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus I9250 HSPA+ GSM unlocked. Retails at Play Store for USD 349+taxes. If you have a friend to bring it down for you, nothing beats it at that price. Else buy from grey market here for 23-25k.
Even if you buy from US, your end price will reach around 400 US$ (tax + shipping). I am getting mine for 415$ (expedited the shipping so a bit more). Only assurance is that it will be a genuine one and not some china one which we might get in our greymarket. My cousin booked it from Amazon as we wanted it in 1 day whereas play store was stating 3-5 days.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:24   #10769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Even if you buy from US, your end price will reach around 400 US$ (tax + shipping). I am getting mine for 415$ (expedited the shipping so a bit more). Only assurance is that it will be a genuine one and not some china one which we might get in our greymarket. My cousin booked it from Amazon as we wanted it in 1 day whereas play store was stating 3-5 days.
Someone has given you wrong info.

I got my Nexus from Play Store and it cost USD 389 incl shipping and taxes. Yes it did take 5 days for delivery, but that's better than paying extra (on the base price itself, not to mention shipping) on Amazon.

And btw, there is no 'Chinese-made' which you 'might get' from the grey market. I have checked out the handset in Alfa and it's the same one that Play Store is selling.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:32   #10770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone has given you wrong info.

I got my Nexus from Play Store and it cost USD 389 incl shipping and taxes. Yes it did take 5 days for delivery
Taxes vary from state to state. In a High tax state like NY to CA, cost is close to 400.

Most Viewed