Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 06:48   #10741
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Dude, its Flipkart you are dealing with. You should have hardly worried even if it was a pre-paid purchase. Its more than likely they would have collected the item back and refunded the money since the product did not meet specifications. The experience is hardly a reason not buy from them (or any other reputed seller). Also, the delivery guy let you open it before paying, so it must be Flipkart's own delivery service. I don't think any courier guy would let you open the package without paying.
I opened the package only after I paid. But I caught him before he was gone. He was saying to call customer care blah blah. Since, I didn't want to take that hassle, I asked him to talk to whoever he wants. I just wanted my money back.
Old 16th August 2012, 07:48   #10742
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But... Buying an Apple device means buying a way of life. No thanks!
What about Galaxy Note 10.1?
Samsung india has started taking pre-orders. https://www.samsungindiaestore.com/P...5en674Oty00ui0
Old 16th August 2012, 09:02   #10743
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for the Samsung Tab with a budget of 20K. And I see this in flipkart

Samsung Galaxy Tab 730 | Tablet | Flipkart.com

My concern was in the 1GHZ processor and camera. Its 3MP. Except for this I am ok with other features. Any feedback on this tab about the performance and apps? Its the Honeycomb one. Thanks,
Old 16th August 2012, 10:47   #10744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I was looking for the Samsung Tab with a budget of 20K. And I see this in flipkart

Samsung Galaxy Tab 730 | Tablet | Flipkart.com

My concern was in the 1GHZ processor and camera. Its 3MP. Except for this I am ok with other features. Any feedback on this tab about the performance and apps? Its the Honeycomb one. Thanks,
Why dont you have a look at this -

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 | Tablet | Flipkart.com

It comes with Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box, is a newer model and has call facility too. And its cheaper.

Tab 730, as told to me, is discontinued. If that's true, why do you want to buy it? Whereas Tab 2 P3100 was launched just some months back.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:04   #10745
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Back for some help / guidance. 2 weeks ago we bought Lumia 710 for wifey after selling her BB Bold 3. It seems the Lumia has way more limitations than we knew of; eg. Multi tasking; if while communication on skype you come to home screen to check your email, skype logs out. And Skype n Emails are very important for my wife's office work. Hence we thinking of returning the Lumia and getting her a Droid. The phones that we shortlisted after a lot of debating etc are Samsung Galaxy S Advance; Motorola Atrix 2 & Samsung Galaxy S2.

1. S advance (₹19500) is new and only 1 friend of ours uses it and he recently got it so not much 1st hand experience / feedback.

2. Motorola Atrix 2 (₹21499): a Nice well speced phone but sadly recently wifey had a very disappointing experience with a Motorola Service center for her brother's brand new Defy Mini and hence she is not sure about getting a Motorola.

P.S. I am myself a extremely satisfied Motorola Defy + user.

3. Samsung Galaxy S2 (₹27900) : tried n tested. a few of our friends have it and she tested all her workings on it and did the job well and also S2 already has ICS update and rumor has it that it may also get JB by 2012 end. Where as on the other end no informaiton on S Advance getting ICS / JB.

The major differences that we noticed between S Advance & S2 are
S advance vs S2
1. Screen size 4.0" vs 4.3"
2. Camera 5MP vs 8MP
3. 1Ghz DC vs 1.2GhzDC
4. ICS vs GB

These are the 4 main differences that i came across and except the last one we are not really bothered about the above 3 considering her use age.

P.S. : It has taken me 4-5 days to narrow down to these 3 after reviewing / suggesting practically every phone from ACE+ to Motorola Razr. TOUGH JOB

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 16th August 2012 at 11:19.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:20   #10746
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I have finally decided to go the android way after a dismal Nokia C6-01 experience. Have ordered for the Galaxy Nexus I9250 from my cousin in the US. Should get the phone in my hands in a couple of weeks from now. I hope it comes loaded with JellyBean. I am assuming that the there will be no warranty here, am i right? and anything particular that i need to take care regd this phone? Can users help please.

Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 11:46   #10747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Why dont you have a look at this -

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 | Tablet | Flipkart.com

It comes with Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box, is a newer model and has call facility too. And its cheaper.

Tab 730, as told to me, is discontinued. If that's true, why do you want to buy it? Whereas Tab 2 P3100 was launched just some months back.
I did see. But since it was 7" I was I the impression a bigger screen would be better. But if 730 is to be discontinued, then I will have to rethink.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:49   #10748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
1. S advance (₹19500) is new and only 1 friend of ours uses it and he recently got it so not much 1st hand experience / feedback.

2. Motorola Atrix 2 (₹21499): a Nice well speced phone but sadly recently wifey had a very disappointing experience with a Motorola Service center for her brother's brand new Defy Mini and hence she is not sure about getting a Motorola.

For 18.5k, you can buy the HTC One V or the Sony Xperia Neo L, which comes with the latest Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

Quote:
3. Samsung Galaxy S2 (₹27900) : tried n tested. a few of our friends have it and she tested all her workings on it and did the job well and also S2 already has ICS update and rumor has it that it may also get JB by 2012 end. Where as on the other end no informaiton on S Advance getting ICS / JB.
I recently bought the Sony Xperia S for 28k over the Samsung Galaxy S, for various reasons. Yes, the Xperia S has Ice cream Sandwich too. However, Samusng is pretty fast to roll out updates and their phones are good too. S2, like you said, is tried and tested. Give both the phones a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I did see. But since it was 7" I was I the impression a bigger screen would be better. But if 730 is to be discontinued, then I will have to rethink.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I personally feel a 7" screen is more than adequate if mails, web browsing and basic document editing is your purpose. Moreover, bigger tablets are cumbersome to carry too.

One disadvantage with the Tab2 is that, even though it has call facility, you cant really hold the phone and talk, owing to it's size. So a bluetooth headset or a wired one is a must.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th August 2012 at 11:54.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:12   #10749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Samsung galaxy s3 is available at 32K at some places . For 4K difference I would go for S3 if was going for S2 .
Old 16th August 2012, 12:53   #10750
Senior - BHPian

Installed CM9 (stable) in my SGS2. Cant say if I am experiencing something radically different over the stock firmware.

Anyways below are the limitations I am facing:
a) Cant assign ringtones to Groups (Can anyone help me with this?)
b) Auto rotate option needs to specified in 3 to 4 different places to get it working!
c) Battery usage issues. Feel that its draining too quickly.
Old 16th August 2012, 14:36   #10751
Senior - BHPian

Phone upgrade woes continue...

Everyone recommends S3 and very few recommends One X. Nevertheless, I am already inclined towards the One X.

S3 has Pentile sub-pixel layout for their AMOLED screen - which is a deal breaker by itself for me. Have seen pentile layout AMOLED screens and it bothers me a lot when I look closely at them. To some people, it may not be an issue at all, but many doesn't seem to appreciate that at all.

Bottom-line: S3's display may be Super-AMOLED, but One X's display is Super-AWESOME!

Read in one forum:
Quote:
If Samsung made two versions of S3, one with Pentile layout screen and one with a standard rgb layout, and ask people to chose which one they want after close inspection, 10 out of 10 would have picked the one with the standard rgb layout, knowingly or unknowingly
Question:
Where does One X sell for the least price? Prices haven't dropped much in popular online places and in the shops. Any chance of getting one for sub 34K?

Last edited by clevermax : 16th August 2012 at 14:53.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:14   #10752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
My tracks from Google is one such application. Maverick is another. My tracks works on Google Maps and you could add markers and insert your description etc.
Thanks Headers. I will try My Tracks & Maverick.
Old 16th August 2012, 17:31   #10753
BHPian

Quote:
One disadvantage with the Tab2 is that, even though it has call facility, you cant really hold the phone and talk, owing to it's size. So a bluetooth headset or a wired one is a must.
Actually, I also always thought the same.
But yesterday I received my Tab2 (7") and the first thing I tried was to hold it with one hand on my ear like a phone. And was pleasantly surprised that I can actually hold it like a phone. It does not feel that big.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:41   #10754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Phone upgrade woes continue...

Everyone recommends S3 and very few recommends One X. Nevertheless, I am already inclined towards the One X.

S3 has Pentile sub-pixel layout for their AMOLED screen - which is a deal breaker by itself for me. Have seen pentile layout AMOLED screens and it bothers me a lot when I look closely at them. To some people, it may not be an issue at all, but many doesn't seem to appreciate that at all.

Bottom-line: S3's display may be Super-AMOLED, but One X's display is Super-AWESOME!

Read in one forum:
Question:
Where does One X sell for the least price? Prices haven't dropped much in popular online places and in the shops. Any chance of getting one for sub 34K?
I've been seeing it for under 34k for many days now. In fact Sulekha.com has it for 33.4k as we speak (HTC One X Price in India 2012 16th August)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Installed CM9 (stable) in my SGS2. Cant say if I am experiencing something radically different over the stock firmware.

Anyways below are the limitations I am facing:
a) Cant assign ringtones to Groups (Can anyone help me with this?)
b) Auto rotate option needs to specified in 3 to 4 different places to get it working!
c) Battery usage issues. Feel that its draining too quickly.
Any particular reason why you're running CM9 when there's a CM10/JB already out? If you want, contact Frank Mehta who recently JB'ed Sam Kapasi's SGS2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi, I have finally decided to go the android way after a dismal Nokia C6-01 experience. Have ordered for the Galaxy Nexus I9250 from my cousin in the US. Should get the phone in my hands in a couple of weeks from now. I hope it comes loaded with JellyBean. I am assuming that the there will be no warranty here, am i right? and anything particular that i need to take care regd this phone? Can users help please.

Thanks
It won't come loaded with JB, but as soon as you switch it on, you'll get an update notification and will be able to download it rightaway. I got my I9250 just a week back and that's how it happened.
Quote:
Guys,

Back for some help / guidance. 2 weeks ago we bought Lumia 710 for wifey after selling her BB Bold 3. It seems the Lumia has way more limitations than we knew of; eg. Multi tasking; if while communication on skype you come to home screen to check your email, skype logs out. And Skype n Emails are very important for my wife's office work. Hence we thinking of returning the Lumia and getting her a Droid. The phones that we shortlisted after a lot of debating etc are Samsung Galaxy S Advance; Motorola Atrix 2 & Samsung Galaxy S2.

The major differences that we noticed between S Advance & S2 are
S advance vs S2
1. Screen size 4.0" vs 4.3"
2. Camera 5MP vs 8MP
3. 1Ghz DC vs 1.2GhzDC
4. ICS vs GB

These are the 4 main differences that i came across and except the last one we are not really bothered about the above 3 considering her use age.

P.S. : It has taken me 4-5 days to narrow down to these 3 after reviewing / suggesting practically every phone from ACE+ to Motorola Razr. TOUGH JOB

Regards,
So soon? We were *just* talking about getting a Nexus right? Why is that not in the list now?
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion bro. I tried Google DNS and now it is working.

So should I retain the Google DNS permanently or change it back to Airtel's DNS ASAP?
Why not try Open DNS? I have found that just a bit more reliable and stable than Google DNS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Nexus is apparently going for about 25k
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
You get it for 25k in the grey in Bombay, which ofcourse means no samsung/google warranty.
23k at Alfa for the black version, and 24k for the white version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oh yes, you even get accessories in open market now! when i bought my defy, i had to buy accessories from ebay hongkong only!!
I bought screen protector and case from Flipkart and Ebay. Also available offline, but yes, you do have to ask around. Local shops most probably will not have it. A slightly bigger retailer should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Think about it. Moto is like the Fiat of phones - they refuse to die, and most of us love to bash them/their service without owning one.
Being both a Fiat and Moto owner, and having used the exact same phrase at another forum, I strongly suspect you of plagiarizing my lines. But then you are a nice guy and mirroring my thoughts so I have no choice but to agree fully with you on this one.

Will just add this though - solidly built phones backed by top-of-the-line tech and providing more feature per dollar seems to be the driving thought, rather than marketing and hype driven mantra (read: Samsung).
Old 16th August 2012, 23:47   #10755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I've been seeing it for under 34k for many days now. In fact Sulekha.com has it for 33.4k as we speak (HTC One X Price in India 2012 16th August)
Thank you for that link nishanth!
I ruled out S3 as well as Razr maxx because of their stupid Pentile layout of display pixels. One X is by far the best one to buy as far as my research goes. With this price, I don't see any point in spending 30K for razr maxx, I'd rather put 3.4K more get the OneX!

Last edited by clevermax : 16th August 2012 at 23:56.

Most Viewed