Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 08:16   #10786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am sorry for being noob but -

I currently have the Xperia S which is running on ICS. How better will be the upgrade?
This means that you have option to install and run official google Android OS (current version Jellybean) instead of the OEM verison (sony in your case). So you will lose all of Sony's customizations and the other bloatware that comes with it.

This mean your phone is going to be officially same as Nexus line. You will instantly get all the updates and bug fixes as Google releases them. Dont know if you value the importance of updates but some people like me do and its terrific news for them.
Old 19th August 2012, 08:29   #10787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun
Guys, any users of the Xperia Sola on the forum ? How good is this phone. The hardware specs seem good and the phone is to get ICS soon.

Any better alternatives around this price..?
I have been using the Xperia sola for the last month. Pretty happy with it. It looks good especially in white, feels quite light and performance is great due to the good hardware. Another good thing noticed is the sound quality which is very good as compared to my earlier Samsung galaxy sl. The NFC is also pretty good although it does not have much use now. I have stuck one of the tags provided next to my door and when I come into the house I show my phone against it and it switches on wireless, changes profile and does a couple of other things in on shot. That way it's a cool feature.:-)
The battery lasts one day with avg usage and if I ensure 3g and autosync is turned of most of the time I can stretech to 2 days. In general it is not better or worse than the other androids I have owned.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th August 2012 at 08:50.
Old 19th August 2012, 08:40   #10788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I have been using the Xperia solar for the last month. Pretty happy with it.
Advanced technology on a phone, isnt it? So that means you dont need to recharge your phone ever?

Sorry for the OT MODS!
Old 19th August 2012, 08:56   #10789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

Advanced technology on a phone, isnt it? So that means you dont need to recharge your phone ever?

Sorry for the OT MODS!
:-) the issues with the auto spell on the phone. I edited it just before I saw your post so for a moment was wondering what the joke was :-)
Old 19th August 2012, 10:56   #10790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ Thanks Saanil. A friend is looking for a phone & I'm wondering which phone to suggest. She does not like the looks of the HTC One V, the Sola has a bad battery, the S advance has a lot of people complaining about signal issues and the phone isn't upgradable to ICS. I already have the Atrix 2, I love the phone but usually don't recommend Moto's to my non geeky friends, lest something goes wrong and they curse me .

The Neo L I think is a little expensive for what it offers and we've run out of options !! Probably the Galaxy Ace 2 seems like a decent phone. Wonder when its launching & its price.
Hi Tarun,

I would not say that the Sola Battery is bad. I was of this opinion in the initial days but then I read at many places that battery callibrates itself in the first few days and after that the battery performance normalizes. I am not sure what usage your friend has but she should definately consider Sola seriously (probably a white coloured Sola!). In fact Sola's battery is similar to other Android phones. Of all the choices you listed I think Sola is your best bet. Even I am not sure when Ace 2 will out.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:01   #10791
BHPian

A few questions on email apps for Samsung Galaxy S3. Would appreciate your response as this is my first android:

1. Is Touchdown the best email client for Exchange mails? The native exchange client does not allow to search folders, sort mails etc. However, paying for an App on Android seems absurd as the whole idea of using an android over iPhone was to be able to access free apps.
2. The native email client gives the number of unread mails count next to the "Email" icon in addition to a notification on the top left of the screen. I could not find any such unread count on the home screen while using Touchdown. Is there another App out there that can do this in addition to Touchdown?
3. Can Touchdown be used to configure Gmail as the native Gmail client on S3 doesn't give a count of unread mails either, except a notification on the top left.
4. How is K9 in comparison to touchdown as it is free?
5. My key concern is that both Exchange mail and Gmail should show the count of unread mails on the home screen. I am not happy dragging the notification bar every time a mail comes in. The Home Screen should show the exact number of unread messages in 3 separate icons named - "Messages", "Gmail", "Exchange Mail".

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 19th August 2012 at 11:03.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:39   #10792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades
I heard Galaxy Nexus is now available in Samsung stores in India
Price 25,600.
Are you sure? Can you confirm this one?
Old 19th August 2012, 12:05   #10793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov

Are you sure? Can you confirm this one?
It seems they did. At 25900/-.

m.bgr.in/manufacturers/samsung/samsung-reportedly-launches-galaxy-nexus-in-india-for-rs-25900/
Old 19th August 2012, 12:19   #10794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
It seems they did. At 25900/-.

m.bgr.in/manufacturers/samsung/samsung-reportedly-launches-galaxy-nexus-in-india-for-rs-25900/
Last line (update) from the same link

"UPDATE: A Samsung spokesperson has denied that the company has launched the Galaxy Nexus in India"

Also, the specs are not correct. It seems this is an import by some company and not a retailer aka this is a typical grey market piece.
Old 19th August 2012, 13:09   #10795
BHPian

How is that possible? Anyone can go to Forum mall in bangalore and can check it out.
Old 19th August 2012, 18:43   #10796
Senior - BHPian

What is the lowest street price of HTC One V?

Spice Hotspot stores are selling in the range of 18000-18500 range.

Any recommended place except hotspot to buy this phone in Delhi/NCR region?

PS - I am not open to online purchase.
Old 19th August 2012, 19:15   #10797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
What is the lowest street price of HTC One V?

Spice Hotspot stores are selling in the range of 18000-18500 range.

Any recommended place except hotspot to buy this phone in Delhi/NCR region?

PS - I am not open to online purchase.
Although you mentioned you are not open to online purchases but still thought of mentioning that homeshop18 is selling htc one V for 15k under a special offer valid till today. You wont find it so cheap anywhere in India.It comes with manufacturer warranty.
Here goes the link
http://superdeals.homeshop18.com/son...ent=sony-amigo
Old 19th August 2012, 20:40   #10798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor
A few questions on email apps for Samsung Galaxy S3. Would appreciate your response as this is my first android:
As this is your first Android, you will have a lot of worries and questions..be rest assured, there are solutions for each and every issue you face.

Configuring 2 emails with separate notification is possible ( I have it on my defy)
Old 20th August 2012, 00:38   #10799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Although you mentioned you are not open to online purchases but still thought of mentioning that homeshop18 is selling htc one V for 15k under a special offer valid till today. You wont find it so cheap anywhere in India.It comes with manufacturer warranty.
Here goes the link
HomeShop18.com Superdeals: Sony Xperia, HTC One V Primo, Amigo Motion Controller, Sunflame Coffee Maker, 3-Channel Helicopter
I just went to buy this phone and sadly, It's out of stock now

Price is so cheap, man !

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 20th August 2012, 00:45   #10800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
1. Is Touchdown the best email client for Exchange mails? The native exchange client does not allow to search folders, sort mails etc. However, paying for an App on Android seems absurd as the whole idea of using an android over iPhone was to be able to access free apps.
It seems absurd to pay somebody for his hard work? This view about Android may well sound its death knell if it continues. Please take a minute to read my earlier post here.

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th August 2012 at 00:49.

Most Viewed