Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 12:33   #9256
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
This is a default android feature. You cannot make it permanently discoverable. On the plus side, once a particular device pairs with yours, you need not make your device discoverable to exchange data with that paired device. You'd just have to switch bluetooth on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Thats the default for stock android OS. Permanent discoverable is possible in rooted device only. (read Custom ROMs).

BTW, Try on XDA if there is any trick available for explorer.
Samsung phones have an option of setting the Time-Out as 'Never' without rooting the phone ( atleast it is present in my S2 ).
Old 25th May 2012, 12:39   #9257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Samsung phones have an option of setting the Time-Out as 'Never' without rooting the phone ( atleast it is present in my S2 ).
Thanks for this. I did not have this option in my Galaxy S. Just noticed that my NOTE has this. Saves me the hassle of going to settings and making it visible every time!
Old 25th May 2012, 12:39   #9258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar

Did the same on my Note. Exploring the enhancements.. I used kies desktop. Took around 40 mins for the whole process.
Any idea if we can add/remove icons in the notification widget ?
Im not getting the update yet. I just received a 36mb update last night which wasnt ics. Here it is

Sorry not able to upload the attachment but my phone still shows gingerbread. Should we update via Kies pc or is it available OTA?
Old 25th May 2012, 13:31   #9259
BHPian

For those who have updated the GNote do i need to backup all my data or will it still be there after the update? Im more concerned about my pictures and videos.

Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 13:57   #9260
BHPian

Is ICS available only on GNote or as well on Galaxy SII?
With GNote+ICS, I am wondering if Note makes more sense than SII?

May be this is too early to ask, but have you guys on GNote who updated to ICS see any +ve/-ve trend in terms of battery life? It's ok if one can provide update to this question in the next few days
Old 25th May 2012, 14:19   #9261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
For those who have updated the GNote do i need to backup all my data or will it still be there after the update? Im more concerned about my pictures and videos.

Thanks
Your pictures and videos won't get affected. Your settings, apps and the desktop also should be preserved as is. It is like upgrading from one version of windows to a higher version.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:05   #9262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Your pictures and videos won't get affected. Your settings, apps and the desktop also should be preserved as is. It is like upgrading from one version of windows to a higher version.
Thank you. Currently the problem im facing is after downloading the update the Kies for PC doesnt detect my phone anymore and thus Im not able to further proceed with the update. A dialog box pops up on my pc and says " please take out battery and restart phone. and reconnect"

I did that but now Im having to download the update all over again and this may very well finish my FUP. Any help regarding this although i see your signature says HTC?

Regards
Old 25th May 2012, 15:09   #9263
BANNED

@Parthasarthig; Kies is known to be trash and a resource hog. Do what most experienced htc users do, install it and then remove it. Only we do it with sync. This way you get all the drivers. In any case resources like contact and sms backups, etc. are available either in Android or in popular free apps.
Old 25th May 2012, 18:09   #9264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
@Parthasarthig; Only we do it with sync. This way you get all the drivers. In any case resources like contact and sms backups, etc. are available either in Android or in popular free apps.
Thanks sir. I did manage to get it updated to ics. But what is this sync feature you mention? I couldnt figure it out and had to continue with the kies option which luckily didnt fail me the 2nd time.
Yes time and again Kies has been put down by all consumers yet why does samsung make it mandatory for us to use it for updates. Thank god the ICS update atleast came soon enough and before the SGSII.

Battery utilisation seems good so far with my continuous using of the internet, youtube, facebook running in the background. Will have to wait and watch for a few days regarding battery performance.

Drawing with S pen stil has issues but now better manageable.

Rest all features yet to discover but the phone is definitely fast. Time to get it benchmarked.

Here are the benchmark results using Quadrant standard

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-forumrunner_20120525_181253.png

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2012 at 13:09. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 25th May 2012, 18:21   #9265
BHPian

Some important information for Galaxy note users:-

***WARNING!!! PLEASE READ! ICS Kernels and Recovery - xda-developers
4.0.3 LPY Bug Discussion (STOP POSTING eMMC CID data) - xda-developers
Helpful info on ICS, GB, Bricks, Flashing etc... ! Trying to Sum Up ! - xda-developers
PLEASE IMPORTANT •••READ ABOUT BRICKING w/LEAKED ICS - xda-developers
Old 25th May 2012, 20:35   #9266
BHPian

Good news for Xperia owners. According to Sony Mobile - Xperia arc, Xperia neo, Xperia mini, Xperia mini pro, Xperia pro, Xperia active and Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman will start to receive their updates starting from next week.

This software upgrade will be Android version 4.0.4 and the good news is that this latest version will also be made available for Xperia arc S, Xperia ray and Xperia neo V users, who received Android 4.0.3 the first time around.

My main issue with the ICS 4.0.3 on my Neo V has been battery consumption. It has increased at least by 25 to 30%. Hopefully the 4.0.4 update will fix it.

Source - Update on Ice Cream Sandwich rollout for Xperia
Old 25th May 2012, 20:51   #9267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did that but now Im having to download the update all over again and this may very well finish my FUP. Any help regarding this although i see your signature says HTC?
Kies is as bad as itunes.... no wait... its actually worse.

I upgraded my fathers Note to ICS last night using ODIN and the firmware file from sammobile.

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: N7000DDLP8_N7000ODDLP5_INU.zip
Old 25th May 2012, 21:18   #9268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ

I upgraded my fathers Note to ICS last night using ODIN and the firmware file from sammobile.

yes this is the safest way to upgrade, be sure to use only Indian version
Old 25th May 2012, 22:01   #9269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the benchmark results using Quadrant standard
This is intresting. it shows a pretty crappy score in 2D and 3D (bearable but nowhere as good as the CPU). Its a SG Note, right?
Old 26th May 2012, 01:01   #9270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

yes this is the safest way to upgrade, be sure to use only Indian version
Does upgrading through ODIN remove all the touchwiz crap? Or is it just the same as the KIES update? If it doesnt give touchwiz, then is it possible to reflash it to the ODIN update? As ive already updated to ICS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

This is intresting. it shows a pretty crappy score in 2D and 3D (bearable but nowhere as good as the CPU). Its a SG Note, right?
Yes this is the note. Actually score has become bad after ics. Earlier it was next to one x.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks