Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 09:50   #9196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Congrats for getting into android. Explorer is a good phone. You will love it.
THanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will suggest you root the phone for which most probably you will have to first unlock the bootloader (htcdev.com) since afaik permanent S-off is not available (check on rovolutionary.io). I will also suggest you join xda-developers.com the best known site for information and guidance on android phones. It will guide you through the rooting process.
I didn't understand half the thing you said. I am still not aware of the capabilities of android. Still trying to get the hang of the explorer. Will PM you for help.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:02   #9197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Seriously if you dont use much of apps only the basic ones.and also not much into customisation and always have a laptop or pc with you then go for the windows phone. It doesnt lag at all. And everything feels seamlessly integrated. If you have tried wp7.5 and not liked it, then suggest you go with One V or sony's Neo V. Both are good phones.
Thanks for the response. Can somebody please confirm how good is the voip performance in windows phone when used with wifi. I need this to make calls to India during my travel abroad.

After looking at few android phones, I still find defy+ @ 15K to be the most vfm phone and a good optimization between ruggedness, battery life, good screen size etc.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:36   #9198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
After looking at few android phones, I still find defy+ @ 15K to be the most vfm phone and a good optimization between ruggedness, battery life, good screen size etc.
Defy is the first phone to complete a year with me in more than 5 years. And here is why...

Couple days back I looked for a Defy beater. I did a phone finder search in GsmArena to see what recent phone is better than Defy in the feature set I want. These are the search criteria:

Height/Width/thickness: 110/60/14 (I like small sized phones)
Display: 480x854 (can't be less than defy, so...)
Touchscreen: Capacitive
Accelerometer: Yes
GPS: required

That's it. Sounds very reasonable, right? Here is the result:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-fullscreen-capture-5212012-103409-am.bmp.jpg

Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

This is why Defy is so popular despite being a Motorola.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:50   #9199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Model: Sony Xperia Sola (MT27i Pepper.)

Price: Rs 18.7k

Some important specs:

Display: 480 x 854 pixels, 3.7 --------------------SNIP---------------------.
They will be in the forefront with S3, Ace 2 and S Advance.
Great!
I saw tha one at the xperia store(dedicated....dint know sucha thing existed) in GIP,noida.
Quoted at roundabout the same.

And I also saw the S.
Blown away!!
That is an awesome looking thing, with the seethrough button bar at the bottom.
At 31k, Thats my next one.
Spoke to my guy, and he said, right now he can get for me for 29, but if I wait for 3-4 months, about 24k.
I was as it is planning to.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:51   #9200
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some help on the following issues:-

1) How do I make my SD card the default memory for all the downloads?

2) How can I make out which apps are open. In the N5230 if i pressed the menu key for long it showed all the apps that were open.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:12   #9201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Defy is the first phone to complete a year with me in more than 5 years. And here is why...

Couple days back I looked for a Defy beater. I did a phone finder search in GsmArena to see what recent phone is better than Defy in the feature set I want. These are the search criteria:
Ohh, that was an interesting read.

If I leave apart front camera, ICS, little higher thickness and not so great design, the package is great. And that too @ 15K. And by chance if it gets into the hand of my 5 year old, I need not have to worry so much probably due to its rugged build. Did you face any lag by the way in day to day operation?

My next choice at a moderate budget would be HTC One V(if I do not go for windows phone). But I tested this model in Reliance digital for some time. It seemed there is some delay in normal operations like opening contact list etc. May be some user can confirm it. But its a looker and 2K higher than that of defy+.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:14   #9202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I need some help on the following issues:-

1) How do I make my SD card the default memory for all the downloads?
This cannot be done unless you are running a custom rom or using a tweak or mod.

Quote:
2) How can I make out which apps are open. In the N5230 if i pressed the menu key for long it showed all the apps that were open.
Open Task Manager and you should be able to see the open applications. I am not sure if HTC has an inbuilt task manager, samsung has one.

Last edited by F150 : 21st May 2012 at 11:15. Reason: Removed the extra quote tag
Old 21st May 2012, 11:19   #9203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
This cannot be done unless you are running a custom rom or using a tweak or mod.
This poor thing has only 96MB. How will download apps then??
Old 21st May 2012, 11:24   #9204
BHPian

Install the new VOICE S (siri competitor) on any phone running ICS

Just uninstall the existing voicetalk app using titanium backup and install this one

voicetalk.rar
Old 21st May 2012, 11:37   #9205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This poor thing has only 96MB. How will download apps then??
Install the apps on phone memory, move them to SD card using APP2SD app from the market. Are you sure it is just 96MB is the internal memory ?
Old 21st May 2012, 12:02   #9206
BHPian

Guys,

Need inputs, especially from HTC One-X users.

I tried the One-X at Univercell yesterday and was pretty impressed by it. I dont find the need for expandable storage and dont mind the non user replaceable battery either. Even my wifey who hates HTC devices (having experienced my TD2 for sometime) was having a praise for the One-X. However the only area we were not satisfied was the headset-in and loudspeaker volume.

We played music on the phone and found the loudspeaker volume, feeble; which may be excused to the noise in the showroom. However the phone's headset-in volume was very poor with Sony's, Nokia's and Samsung's stock headsets. When we switched to a Sennheiser, the phone sounded good to me. But my wifey and niece were still not impressed with the sound and kept saying its not that great (I hardly listen to music on mobile).

However the headset-in and/ or loudspeaker performance is crucial for me, since I take official calls, lasting to 90 mins atleast, from home daily. The showroom guy mentioned that with the Beats chipset, the phone sounds great only with a Beats headset. And I was not convinced, especially with spending ~8K for a Beats headset after spending 36.2K for the phone.

Could users/ owners please help me out.
TIA.

The only other choice I have for now is the Galaxy S3 and S2 (Note is too big for me). I have to mention that the rumored 40K+ pricing for S3 has put me off already. If it retails around 38K, I will be willing to buy the S3.

Rocky.
Old 21st May 2012, 13:03   #9207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Install the apps on phone memory, move them to SD card using APP2SD app from the market. Are you sure it is just 96MB is the internal memory ?
On paper its 150MB I guess but it had only 96MB(Apprx) before i started downloading.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:16   #9208
BANNED

Quote:
Open Task Manager and you should be able to see the open applications. I am not sure if HTC has an inbuilt task manager, samsung has one.
htc does have one.

Quote:
With Gingerbread many tasks can be move to SD card without needing APP2SD

Yes the phone is pea brained, but I have never had a problem with the Wildfire S which is with my wife. Why I preferred to Wildfire S to Explore (both a very similar with the latter quite a bit cheaper) was the use of Gorilla Glass in the WildfireS.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:28   #9209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
htc does have one.

With Gingerbread many tasks can be move to SD card without needing APP2SD
Yes I was able to transfer a few apps without APPS2SD. Still there are quite a few popular apps like facebook which cannot be transferred to SD.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:09   #9210
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I was able to transfer a few apps without APPS2SD. Still there are quite a few popular apps like facebook which cannot be transferred to SD.
The best bet (if you're rooted) is to use link2sd to link your apps to an ext partition on your SD card. I am doing it on my neo which has only 320MB internal memory. Right now I have 700MB of App & Data which is linked to SD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks