Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2016, 00:02   #24256
BHPian

Re: RN3 and Missed calls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hows your experience with the One Plus 3 so far? I've been enjoying mine for a month and a half, and getting to like it more and more as I use it as my daily driver. Really superb product and a value for money purchase! Have you purchased a tempered glass for this, and if so, hows the fit?
Just a little update from my side. I was noticing a slight difference in color at the bottom of the display on my OP3. It is more clearly visible when viewing a grey image in the dark as shown below. I think I will get it replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dsc001401.jpg  

Last edited by JonSnow : 12th August 2016 at 00:05.
Old 12th August 2016, 07:34   #24257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Just a little update from my side. I was noticing a slight difference in color at the bottom of the display on my OP3. It is more clearly visible when viewing a grey image in the dark as shown below. I think I will get it replaced.
This is known fact especially Cloudtail sold pieces. I got one from sellers Emobiles and Amiable (for a friend) and both are perfect.

AFAIK they have 2nd batch of handsets which are rectified in all aspects.
Old 12th August 2016, 08:09   #24258
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
This is known fact especially Cloudtail sold pieces. I got one from sellers Emobiles and Amiable (for a friend) and both are perfect.

AFAIK they have 2nd batch of handsets which are rectified in all aspects.
Mine was from Emobiles too. I hope the replacement does not have the same issue. I really liked the phone otherwise.
Old 12th August 2016, 08:47   #24259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine was from Emobiles too. I hope the replacement does not have the same issue. I really liked the phone otherwise.
Ive not noticed any such colour discrepancy in my handset, and colors are evenly spread out through the complete display area. Hope your replacement handset has no such issue! Mine is from the very first batch, purchased ten days after global release.
Old 12th August 2016, 09:55   #24260
BHPian

Looks fine on my OP3 too. Purchased mine on 29 Jul which was sold by Amiable. Been on sRGB mode from day 1.
Old 12th August 2016, 19:39   #24261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

It might be old but other phones don't have the reliability of Samsung phones (hardware reliability).
With similar reliability concerns as yours and a dearth of 5" screens on current generation android phones even I happily lapped up an older generation Samsung S5 on the flipkart sale yesterday, my first Samsung in all these years apart from the R220 that I used way back in 2003.

The 2 GB ram and 16 GB internal storage coupled with relatively laggy UI and negligible software upgrades from Samsung in future are obvious shortcomings on the S5 but I am hopeful of it being able to get through most of the daily chores without breaking a sweat.
Old 12th August 2016, 20:10   #24262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
With similar reliability concerns as yours and a dearth of 5" screens on current generation android phones even I happily lapped up an older generation Samsung S5 on the flipkart sale yesterday, my first Samsung in all these years apart from the R220 that I used way back in 2003.

The 2 GB ram and 16 GB internal storage coupled with relatively laggy UI and negligible software upgrades from Samsung in future are obvious shortcomings on the S5 but I am hopeful of it being able to get through most of the daily chores without breaking a sweat.
The S5 is sheer VFM at the price being offered if you don't need 4G. I don't know of a phone with such a good camera at this price range.

I had a tough time justifying to myself to spend double the price of a S5.

As long as you are not into gaming, the 2 GB ram and 16 GB internal is fine. The lag and app crash issues in Samsung is due to the poor software. 6 GB ram and 64 GB memory wouldn't alleviate the lag.
Old 12th August 2016, 21:50   #24263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
It may as well do the job if the usage is casual. Just do one thing: go to settings, and simply start disabling whatever Samsung garbage that can be disabled. S Voice, Samsung App Store, those 'Hubs', simply whatever that can be disabled should be. That way you can free up a lot of storage, RAM, save data that all these crappy apps pull on sync and updates, and save on some battery too. And the apps menu looks cleaner too, as a bonus. (The S5 was the epitome of all the Samsung trash, before they got better with the S6.)

That should make it very usable. The RAM may be just 2 gigs, but that should be enough and the processor is snappy too.
But more importantly, what you get is a waterproof phone with removable battery, a fingerprint scanner, a fantastic camera and Samsung's after sales. A great package overall.
Old 12th August 2016, 22:08   #24264
Senior - BHPian

I hope, brands like Motorola are seeing these discussions.

People who need a reliable phone are ready to compromise on even 4g and shutdown the Reliance Jio revolution because they don't have a good option in the 5 inch category!

It was such a stupid decision from the manufacturers to ignore 5 inch phones completely! In fact, I still consider the 4.7" screen on the LG Nexus 4 and Moto X as the sweet spot between small enough to be convenient and large enough to be easy on the eyes.
Old 12th August 2016, 23:42   #24265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I hope, brands like Motorola are seeing these discussions.
Motorola is a lost cause when it comes to choice of a reliable phone.

The whole of Chennai has hardly 2 service centers that are functional and even they are just a namesake. They don't have spares of any of the phones they sell. If you buy a phone early in its product cycle and is defective, you better wait 3 months for spares to arrive and phone repaired.

The rest of the service centers listed on the website exist just on paper and they will simply redirect you to the next one.

As for screen sizes go, sadly 5.5 inch has become a standard size. A couple of years back premium 4.5 - 4.7 inch phones stated becoming extinct. Now it seems to be the turn off the 5 inch phone.

Praying for Sony,LG and HTC to pull up their stocks and market their phones aggressively with good after sales. There simply is no alternative to Samsung and Apple if you want a branded reliable phone these days.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 12th August 2016 at 23:44.
Old 13th August 2016, 05:16   #24266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motorola is a lost cause when it comes to choice of a reliable phone.
I've a completely different opinion on this. Our delivery boys pan India use many brand phones and the moto E ( both 1st gen and 2nd gen ) has been masters of durability. It has survived the rain spills like no other brands ( including Samsung ) thanks to that nano coating.

Quote:
The whole of Chennai has hardly 2 service centers that are functional and even they are just a namesake. They don't have spares of any of the phones they sell. If you buy a phone early in its product cycle and is defective, you better wait 3 months for spares to arrive and phone repaired.
We never had to test the service centers 6 months of the release for the simple reason that these devices never failed inspite of the abuse thrown at them.

Out of around 100 Motorolas purchased, only 3 failed, that too physical damage. Never had a problem getting spares for them.

The only problem we face now is that all moto E phones are out of stock. We are waiting for the 3rd gen to get released.

Last edited by amalji : 13th August 2016 at 05:27.
Old 13th August 2016, 12:50   #24267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The S5 is sheer VFM at the price being offered if you don't need 4G.
With wifi connectivity at home and workplace I doubt I am ever going to bother with 4G. Fact is I've still not bothered to upgrade from 2G as I don't end up watching videos or using any other data heavy apps when I'm out.

Quote:
I don't know of a phone with such a good camera at this price range.
Moto G4+ seems to have a great camera too. However I got the phone based on 5" screen + hardware reliability + great camera + water resistance tech, exactly in the same order of priority.

Quote:
As long as you are not into gaming, the 2 GB ram and 16 GB internal is fine.
Will use my over 3 year old Xperia ZL for occasional gaming. It was top spec in its time and I've had an excellent gaming experience. No lags, no crashes with SBK, Fifa14, RR3, etc.

Quote:
The lag and app crash issues in Samsung is due to the poor software. 6 GB ram and 64 GB memory wouldn't alleviate the lag.
Agreed. My wife's Nexus 4 literally flies even with its 2 GB ram and almost fully occupied 16 GB internal memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Just do one thing: go to settings, and simply start disabling whatever Samsung garbage that can be disabled. S Voice, Samsung App Store, those 'Hubs', simply whatever that can be disabled should be.
Done, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
A great package overall.
Nailed it, exactly my thoughts. I ordered it based on the spec sheet and review on gsmarena.com, don't remember seeing or handling one before this.

Quote:
It was such a stupid decision from the manufacturers to ignore 5 inch phones completely! In fact, I still consider the 4.7" screen on the LG Nexus 4 and Moto X as the sweet spot between small enough to be convenient and large enough to be easy on the eyes.
Can't stress on the above point enough. If you look around the ratio of 5.5" to 5" would probably be 4:1 compared to 1:4 in favor of the 5" units until a couple of years ago. Coming from possibly the most compact 5" phone (Xperia ZL 2013) even the S5 feels a tad larger than my preference, I'm glad I did not end up biting the 5.5" screen bullet.
Old 13th August 2016, 13:44   #24268
BHPian

Quote:

We never had to test the service centers 6 months of the release for the simple reason that these devices never failed inspite of the abuse thrown at them.
The Motos are good when it comes to durability in rain.

In my case, both the Moto E ( 1 still with me, the other used by Mom now sold) have had hardware issues. Your sample size is huge, but your luck has passed the law of averages.

Dead pixels on one and power button issues on the other. Loudspeaker issue on both. The Moto service agreed to replace the display, but they replaced it with another dead pixel display which was so tiny that I found out only after a couple of days and I left that issue as is.

In case you want a Moto E, the first gen was back in stock on Flipkart during the sale that was going on till yesterday. The third gen will shift to a 5 inch display an unwelcome growth from the 1st Gen's handy 4.3 inch display.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 13th August 2016 at 13:56.
Old 14th August 2016, 13:00   #24269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Classic AMOLED display issue..! Only visible to very sharp eyes.The tint can be pinkish or greenish or yellowish depending on how you look at it. If your mobile does not have any other issue, better ignore and carry on. There is a high chance that your replacement phone will be worse. There are several threads on this in forums like XDA. The root cause lies somewhere in the AMOLED panel manufacturing process where the panels are saturated with light. Most manufacturers using AMOLED panels refuse to recognise this as a issue.My Galaxy S7 had this issue. Decided to live with that since other wise the phone was doing good. Now my brain barely make a notice of it.
Old 14th August 2016, 13:33   #24270
BHPian

An update on my 2 weeks old S7 - there is a black spot on the rear camera. I see it whenever the camera app is opened and also in the latest images and videos. Front camera is fine. Visited service centers and they said, camera needs to be replaced. Have to give it to them on Tuesday since the parts are not available. This issue is kind of frustrating because the phone is very new and we don't expect such major hardware issues. Hope the service center gets the parts and is replaced soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks