Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2016, 09:35   #24211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
I've encountered an app called 'Lenovo Weather' on my K3 Note. Now the funny part is that this app is not visible anywhere except in my data usage menu where I discovered it. Wonder what it does because never seen it in action anywhere anytime. Google shows me weather along with Yahoo Weather that I installed.

I'm curious as to why such a sly app is there at all when it apparently doesn't even interact with you in the first place! You don't even know its there! Or else it indirectly shows you the weather through Google or some such wicked arrangement? Strange.

Maybe the "rooters" have an inkling on this....?
Oops. My bad. Actually this is the default system weather app as it seems. I never got to know it because I never have those pesky Weather' cum Clock widgets encroaching on almost half of my screen hence disrupting the beauty of all the snazzy wallpapers I use my screen for. I keep the home screen clutter free and almost empty so didn't see it before.

Had to do some fidgeting to get it. The freaky fact still remains that it doesnt have any settings or tweaks possible and doesn't allow you to play with it in any way so it looks suspicious.

Last edited by pixantz : 6th August 2016 at 09:37.
Old 6th August 2016, 09:58   #24212
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Oops. My bad. Actually this is the default system weather app as it seems.
Makes 100% sure, you can't give them clean chit easily:

A916 - Malware embedded in Lenovo's own apps! - Lenovo Official Forum

How to get rid of insecure apps from Lenovo and lots of others

Removing Malware and Bloatware from Lenovo K3 Note (K50-T5)

How do I get rid of Fun Weather?

Also try to check the permissions, a legit weather app/service shouldn't require suspicious permission. For instance Asus weather app doesn't ask for any other permission than location, storage and network. Or take a Sony weather app for example which also doesn't need anything than couple of necessary permissions like network and location.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 6th August 2016 at 10:19.
Old 6th August 2016, 16:42   #24213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Makes 100% sure, you can't give them clean chit easily
Thank you for your kind inputs sir. I'll do a more thorough check up shortly. Thank you for the valuable links too :thumbup:

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2016 at 08:13. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 6th August 2016, 18:37   #24214
Senior - BHPian

Expected price for Note 7 is 63000. Bit too pricey. I can't justify to my self if spending this much money on a gadget will be the right thing!
Old 6th August 2016, 18:49   #24215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Expected price for Note 7 is 63000. Bit too pricey. I can't justify to my self if spending this much money on a gadget will be the right thing!
Value is subjective. Don't we spend lakhs on domestic / foreign trips or cars where we deem it worthwhile? Today, most of us spend more time "with" our smartphones than with our spouse / child / parent.

Per hour, its more VFM than anything else we may buy.

Of course, one may say, get a much cheaper model for an almost similar experience. Those tradeoffs are always there.
Old 6th August 2016, 18:53   #24216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Value is subjective. Don't we spend lakhs on domestic / foreign trips or cars where we deem it worthwhile? Today, most of us spend more time "with" our smartphones than with our spouse / child / parent.

Per hour, its more VFM than anything else we may buy.

Of course, one may say, get a much cheaper model for an almost similar experience. Those tradeoffs are always there.
That's true. But depreciation in gadgets hurts the most.

I will wait for the new nexus before plonking money on a new phone. Though my HTC desire 816 will turn 2 years old this September, it is still holding quite well and I may just continue using it for may be another year or so.
Old 7th August 2016, 09:12   #24217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can't justify to my self if spending this much money on a gadget will be the right thing!
I can't see myself spending more than INR 12-13 k on any phone. It's simply not worth spending too much.

If you do need high processing power, something like OnePlus 3 priced at around INR 30k is worth it.
Old 7th August 2016, 13:41   #24218
BHPian

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for 27999. My other choices were Samsung Galaxy S5, Redmi Note 3 and the Moto G4 Plus. If not the Note 4, it would have been the S5. I did not want to spend much more than that unless its a top dog iphone like a 6s plus . The Note 4 seemed a good compromise at 35-40% of the price.

Note 4 costed almost twice the other options would, but it had the best of them all. Camera is as good/better the S5, battery life is quite good, the best screen and a competent processor(805). The only issue with the S5 was that it didn't support 4G.

Though Samsung software sucks, the Note 4 I tried(my friend's) didn't have app crashes , especially the stock trading app I use. The S pen and the 3 months free Jio 4G offer( worth 3000) tipped the scale in favor of the Note 4.

It might be old but other phones don't have the reliability of Samsung phones (hardware reliability). The Note 7 prices just seem the confirm the VFM of the Note 4. By skipping the Note 6, Samsung made the Note 4 appear as a 3 year old model though it is actually two years old .

Last edited by Ragavsr : 7th August 2016 at 13:50.
Old 8th August 2016, 01:02   #24219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's true. But depreciation in gadgets hurts the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I can't see myself spending more than INR 12-13 k on any phone. It's simply not worth spending too much.
In the end we all have opinions on what provides best value based on certain factors and rightly so. However we cannot ever agree on what would make THE best value in terms of a phone, as a wide pricing level exists for a reason - choice and demographic. Also there is a thumb rule that in expensive products, the finer details or finishing touches are always the best, whether one wants it at all is another question. I'm always analysing things in terms of marketing and positioning so I accept models from different segments as they all cater to a different crowd.

Having spoken to an authorised dealer of Vertu (Rs.2-8 lakh), I came to know that demand is strong for custom-made luxury mobiles with sapphire crystal glass, buttons made of crystal and the body made out of durable titanium and wrapped in leather. Is it my kind of phone? No, since specification wise even a flagship Vertu is half of that of what I own currently. However for those who seek exclusivity and feel the need to own something special, nothing beats a Vertu. It also comes with its own concierge service 24/7. Depreciation is a major factor for such a phone as I've seen Vertu Bentley's in Quikr for Rs.75k! A whopping 1/5th the price at the very least, yet people who buy it are earning much more than they can afford and to them this is nothing. That 2nd hand price sure was tempting though.

Likewise a Micromax at 10k, a Huawei at 20k, a Moto at 30k, a Samsung at 40k and a Sony for 50k may interest a few people each.. either for value, snob appeal, specs, water proofing or some other reason personal to them. All consumer durables will depreciate.. none more than our favourite car yet they sell all kinds of cars having the same 4 wheels with different sizes, which sell
from 6 digit prices all the way to 8 - people choose based on their income.

While I hardly use the phone for anything other than talking, I know that its a tool which helps me at work, at home, to share memories, to simply entertain for 5 minutes every now and then and mostly to help keep in touch. As long as one can comfortably afford a phone, no price range can be too much. Value too is a subjective proposition.

Being a member here I'll still dare to say that I finally realised that an automobile is a major source of expenditure for people (acquisition cost+maintenance+insurance+customising+cleaning+fu el), its just that such costs are ignored because they consider the vehicle which is in actuality a depreciating liability, an asset. No harm in that though as splurging can be done only once in a lifetime, likewise for mobiles, laptops, watches etc.

Last edited by dark.knight : 8th August 2016 at 01:04.
Old 8th August 2016, 06:47   #24220
BHPian

Samsung Note 5 is being sold for Rs37k in Amazon's sale today. It retails almost Rs48k in the stores. There are many mouth watering deals on mobiles. Check it out.
Old 8th August 2016, 11:37   #24221
BHPian

Looking for a smartphone around 10K. Moto 3G looks to be ticking majority of the boxes. Can I proceed for it? Any other option?
Old 8th August 2016, 11:41   #24222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Looking for a smartphone around 10K. Moto 3G looks to be ticking majority of the boxes. Can I proceed for it? Any other option?
Did you check Lenovo Vibe K5 Note, it looks promising and there is exchange and 10% discount offer on Flipkart. Just ordered for my BIL on Saturday, still to get.
Old 8th August 2016, 14:15   #24223
BHPian

Re: RN3 and Missed calls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Even with 100%, am having, many a missed calls on my RN3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I agree. Speaker volume is the lowest I have ever heard in a phone.

As it's a hardware issue I don't see any other resolution coming up.
This is disappointing to read. I was thinking of suggesting this phone for my dad. He is currently using a Redmi Note 3G and the battery runs out in half a day if mobile data is on (even with a 3000 mah battery). I was hoping that with Redmi Note 3, he won't have any issue with battery life and performance should be good too. Any other phone I should consider in this price range ? Redmi 3S and Lenovo Vibe K5 Note are recently launched, so not many reviews available about battery life, performance and audio.
Old 8th August 2016, 23:08   #24224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
This is disappointing to read. I was thinking of suggesting this phone for my dad. He is currently using a Redmi Note 3G and the battery runs out in half a day if mobile data is on (even with a 3000 mah battery). I was hoping that with Redmi Note 3, he won't have any issue with battery life and performance should be good too. Any other phone I should consider in this price range ? Redmi 3S and Lenovo Vibe K5 Note are recently launched, so not many reviews available about battery life, performance and audio.
Lookslike I am the only one with Honor 5C on teambhp. It is pretty decent phone for 10k Range. Battery performance is excellent. I am on Wifi /4g all the time along with gps sometimes. Easily lasts a day to day and half. Also runs Marshmallow. Camera is also decent. Have not tried any pro mode though. Charges damn slow. Take almost 3 hours to fully charge.

In between guys, I am planning to order a Moto G4 plus for camera. The primary use is to take pics/ Videos of Toddler. Camera performance is rated pretty high everywhere though there are some heat/slow response issues. But Can't find any other alternative.

Please suggest any other phone with excellent cameras in the 20k range. Considered S7 but somehow not able to justify the expense only for the camera
Old 8th August 2016, 23:29   #24225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Lookslike I am the only one with Honor 5C on teambhp. It is pretty decent phone for 10k Range.
Yes Honor 5C seems to be good in terms of performance and battery life. i wish there was a 32GB storage version though.

Quote:
Please suggest any other phone with excellent cameras in the 20k range. Considered S7 but somehow not able to justify the expense only for the camera
one option might be to get a used nexus 5x. it's also available on ebay for under 20k but they are imported ones, so you won't get warranty.

Most Viewed