Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2016, 19:31   #24241
BHPian

Re: RN3 and Missed calls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Nexus 5X's photo quality is excellent, but only if you are able to get the shot right. By the time, the phone focuses and takes the shot, my boy would be at the other side of the room. Moreover after 5-10 shots, the app becomes laggy and eventually, I have to restart the device. Hope the Nougat update fixes it.
Oh, didn't know about these issues with Nexus 5x.

I received my OnePlus 3 today. Can't wait to try it after getting home.
Old 10th August 2016, 14:39   #24242
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Ordered the RedMi 3S Prime for my wife. She found the Redmi Note3 to be bit bulky. Logged on to the site just a few minutes before 12 and was able to buy this. Expecting the delivery tomorrow.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Please keep us posted about your experience with the phone.
I am planning to buy one for myself mainly for 2 reasons - 5" size and huge battery and of course, the price.

I am curious about 4 things -
performance - I am not into gaming and all but just want to know real life performance with normal apps like Chrome/Fb/whatsapp/twitter/exchange email/gmail/dialer/messaging etc.
Network reception and call quality - any issues with 4G signal?
Camera - not expecting a great camera at this price but par for the segment. The Mi4 had a pretty good camera, expecting the same for Redmi 3S. I will be happy with that.
Speaker volume - I see that the speaker is at the back which might be a problem when the phone is kept on the table which can lead to lots of missed calls. Let me know if this is an issue.
Old 10th August 2016, 16:51   #24243
Senior - BHPian

I am quite amazed that the Redmi 3s allows you to have one SIM latched on 4G and the other on 3G.

In contrast, the Moto G Turbo allows only 4G + 2G or 3G + 2G. So, you cannot have two 3G connections for voice. That is quite bad, since 2G connections do not have any tower authentication and are easier to eavesdrop.
Old 10th August 2016, 17:09   #24244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am quite amazed that the Redmi 3s allows you to have one SIM latched on 4G and the other on 3G.

In contrast, the Moto G Turbo allows only 4G + 2G or 3G + 2G. So, you cannot have two 3G connections for voice. That is quite bad, since 2G connections do not have any tower authentication and are easier to eavesdrop.
The Moto G4 ( which costs the same as that of the Moto G Turbo ) does 4g + 3g on dual SIM. It seems to be more about what the echo system is ready for in our country. In today's time, 4g + 3g makes sense. But, one year back, it would have resulted in a poorer battery thanks to the lack of 3g coverage in many parts of our country.

Also, the 4g band support for Redmi 3s seems to be very limited as well ( just Band 3,5, and 40 ). Regardless, it will work with the Reliance Jio and all the current 4g providers in India. So, not much of an issue.

Last edited by amalji : 10th August 2016 at 17:13.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:12   #24245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Oh, didn't know about these issues with Nexus 5x.

I received my OnePlus 3 today. Can't wait to try it after getting home.
Hows your experience with the One Plus 3 so far? I've been enjoying mine for a month and a half, and getting to like it more and more as I use it as my daily driver. Really superb product and a value for money purchase! Have you purchased a tempered glass for this, and if so, hows the fit?
Old 11th August 2016, 13:14   #24246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hows your experience with the One Plus 3 so far? I've been enjoying mine for a month and a half, and getting to like it more and more as I use it as my daily driver. Really superb product and a value for money purchase! Have you purchased a tempered glass for this, and if so, hows the fit?
It's been great so far. It's very fast and applications stay in memory. Build quality is great and feels good in hand. I was surprised at how thin it is. Despite seeing many reviews I had not anticipated it to be this thin. Feels light and easy to use since bezels are not too thick. Display seems fine to me despite the initial controversy. I am using the sRGB mode. Only issue I have faced is with Bluetooth.

I have not purchased a tempered glass yet. I am using a Spigen case and not sure which tempered glass would fit well with it.

How's your battery life been?
Old 11th August 2016, 13:43   #24247
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Only issue I have faced is with Bluetooth.
What's the Bluetooth issue? It would be a deal breaker for me since I'm using it daily for 1.5 hours in my car. Still confused which phone to go for, whether to spend 12k or 30k...
Old 11th August 2016, 14:20   #24248
Senior - BHPian

I checked out the Redmi 3S prime today. My colleague bought it.
The build feels very solid though the back is a tad slippery with the metal build.
With the 4100 Mah battery, it is not a very slim phone but fits well in the hand due to the compact size.
The screen looked nice and bright. Tried opening a lot of apps and it seems all of them opened very fast without any lag and stayed nicely in memory thanks to the 3 GB RAM.
Took some shots indoor and outdoor. Outdoor shots were very nice for the price range and even indoor shots are okay if you consider the price. I don't think you are going to get a much better camera for the price.
So, overall it looks a very complete and value for money package and is the best choice for people looking at a compact phone in the 10-12K range. Actually, there aren't many better phones in the 5 inch space even up to 15K.
Old 11th August 2016, 15:00   #24249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
... In today's time, 4g + 3g makes sense. But, one year back, it would have resulted in a poorer battery thanks to the lack of 3g coverage in many parts of our country.
Moto G Turbo was launched in December. I picked up one for my mother in March when the prices were lower (Rs. 9999)
Not much has changed in terms of 3G coverage in the last 6-8 months I think.

Besides, this is about providing option to the consumer. If a user wants to use 2G, he/ she can always select the appropriate mode by keeping the battery life in mind, provided the phone supports this.

Quote:
Also, the 4g band support for Redmi 3s seems to be very limited as well ( just Band 3,5, and 40 ). Regardless, it will work with the Reliance Jio and all the current 4g providers in India. So, not much of an issue.
Limited in what way? I think it very good support. Do not expect 700 Mhz support to be useful in India for another 24-36 months from now.

@admicra: A true game changer!

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th August 2016 at 15:06.
Old 11th August 2016, 15:09   #24250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How's your battery life been?
Battery life has been fine so far, par for the course. Gives me a days worth of life with moderate usage. No complaints on that end, especially given the superb Dash Charger thats provided. I didn't like the SRGB mode much, and prefer the full blown AMOLED colors

And yes, you are right, the build quality is indeed fantastic, and I was taken aback as well by how thin and light the device it. Its a pleasure to handle every time I pick it up!
Old 11th August 2016, 15:16   #24251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moto G Turbo was launched in December. I picked up one for my mother in March when the prices were lower (Rs. 9999)
Not much has changed in terms of 3G coverage in the last 6-8 months I think.

Besides, this is about providing option to the consumer. If a user wants to use 2G, he/ she can always select the appropriate mode by keeping the battery life in mind, provided the phone supports this.
I guess, this is a chipset limitation. A phone getting released in December doesn't mean that it's going to have a chipset which is 6 months old. 615 was released in 2014.

The Snapdragon 617 chipset which comes with Moto G4 was released in 2015. A company like Motorola do not release bleeding edge technology in their phones. They have their own tests before they decide to use a chipset.

It's never the specs that differentiate a motorola phone, but smart design techniques that they use like
  • The nano coating on electronics even on their cheapest Moto E series
  • The lack of reflection from the screen
  • The mobile computing platform like the ones used in the Moto X
  • The choice of OS and guaranteed update of Android for 1.5 years.
  • The ergonomics and reception quality. It's a phone after all. 3 brands who are really good here are Motorola, Nokia and Blackberry

Quote:
Limited in what way? I think it very good support. Do not expect 700 Mhz support to be useful in India for another 24-36 months from now.
I think, my statement was self explanatory. The band support is just adequate for India. But, if any other bands get allotted, it can be a limitation.

for eg:- Band 1 is used by Airtel, Vodafone, Idea, Reliance, Tata, Aircel, MTNL, BSNL for their 3g services, but not for 4g. If tomorrow, TRAI decides to allocate 4g services on it ( similar to the way the 850 Mhz CDMA got converted to GSM 4g for Reliance Jio ), it can become a limitation.
Old 11th August 2016, 15:36   #24252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
What's the Bluetooth issue? It would be a deal breaker for me since I'm using it daily for 1.5 hours in my car. Still confused which phone to go for, whether to spend 12k or 30k...
Bluetooth connection can be enabled for either phone calls, or for music. If you enable both, the connection hangs up, sometimes within a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes. So I have enabled it for calls only. I encountered this same problem before when i installed CyanogenMod on my Moto G ( It worked fine when i was on Moto's stock ROM). I couldn't find any solution. It was annoying earlier, since there were no good radio stations for hindi songs in hyderabad - all were telugu channels only. Now, a couple of bollywood radio stations have started, so it's not that big a deal for me, but it is a bit annoying that if i want to use it to receive calls, i can't listen to my own music collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Battery life has been fine so far, par for the course. Gives me a days worth of life with moderate usage. No complaints on that end, especially given the superb Dash Charger thats provided. I didn't like the SRGB mode much, and prefer the full blown AMOLED colors
I found the default mode to be too saturated. sRGB looks a bit dull, but i prefer that over the default. Ideally, i would have liked it to be somewhere in between - just a bit more saturated than sRGB mode.
Old 11th August 2016, 17:44   #24253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Tried this. But comes with the message ''Cannot Find EngineerMode App"

Don't know, what next?
Old 11th August 2016, 19:41   #24254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Congratulations on your purchase.
Please keep us posted about your experience with the phone.
I am planning to buy one for myself mainly for 2 reasons - 5" size and huge battery and of course, the price.

I am curious about 4 things -
performance - I am not into gaming and all but just want to know real life performance with normal apps like Chrome/Fb/whatsapp/twitter/exchange email/gmail/dialer/messaging etc.
Network reception and call quality - any issues with 4G signal?
Camera - not expecting a great camera at this price but par for the segment. The Mi4 had a pretty good camera, expecting the same for Redmi 3S. I will be happy with that.
Speaker volume - I see that the speaker is at the back which might be a problem when the phone is kept on the table which can lead to lots of missed calls. Let me know if this is an issue.
Thanks adimirca. We just started using the device yesterday. And we have travelled today, so not much time with the device. In my opinion, its worth the money.
Fingerprint sensor - check
IR blaster - check
5 inch screen check
One cool party trick I noticed was while on the front camera, it detects the face and displays the age and gender.
The speaker grill is at the back. So if the phone is kept down, expect the volume to be a bit down. I hope to post some comments in the coming week.
Old 11th August 2016, 20:16   #24255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I checked out the Redmi 3S prime today. My colleague bought it.
The build feels very solid though the back is a tad slippery with the metal build.
With the 4100 Mah battery, it is not a very slim phone but fits well in the .
Your friend already received the phone? I too ordered the phone and still waiting for the same. I made the payment in 9th evening, probably that could be the reason behind the delay. Due to my relocation, I need a dual SIM phone and somehow managed to order one. Staying fingers crossed. The one disadvantage could be the SIM tray is hybrid, that means we can't use one SIM while using expanded memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
In my opinion, its worth the money.
Fingerprint sensor - check
IR blaster - check
5 inch screen check
Yes, it comes with many cool features as you listed. Probably this phone is one of the best phone from Mi after Mi3 (my current phone, two year old).

Last edited by MaxTorque : 11th August 2016 at 20:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks