Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 10:33   #18166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
just stopped in time ...started google sync, and found phone contact started reducing from 651 to 624 ..immediately cancelled sync. means google account contact list is overriding the phone contacts , and so i am loosing all added ones.

moto g does not come with SD card option.
This should not be happening.
Anyway, as it IS happening, you can alternatively try GCloud, on the play store.
I have used this, before I exhausted the free space, but I think for contacts, its a safe enough option.

After a backup, try google sync once again, just for curiosity's sake, to see what happens after the whole process is finished.
Old 15th May 2014, 16:26   #18167
Senior - BHPian

With the Moto E going out of stock on the very first day, I was curious to know how many units were sold. Quick analysis of import data from Zauba.com reveals the below import quantities for Moto phones;

Moto E - 57600 (Almost 60k phones sold in one day !!)
Moto G - 395900
Moto X - 60375

That's half a million phones phones sold in 3-4 months ! These are great numbers, especially considering their retail model ! Hats off to Flipkart for keeping up with this demand.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th May 2014 at 16:30.
Old 15th May 2014, 17:14   #18168
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
With the Moto E going out of stock on the very first day, I was curious to know how many units were sold. Quick analysis of import data from Zauba.com reveals the below import quantities for Moto phones;

Moto E - 57600 (Almost 60k phones sold in one day !!)
I have ordered one and I did get a message earlier today that it will be delivered before 7 PM. Can't wait to get back home.

One thing that worries me is that the internal memory is only 4 GB (available for user would be less than 2 GB I guess), and I don't think it's possible to install apps on the memory card. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I found out after ordering it that the battery is not removable.
Old 15th May 2014, 17:25   #18169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

One thing that worries me is that the internal memory is only 4 GB (available for user would be less than 2 GB I guess), and I don't think it's possible to install apps on the memory card. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I found out after ordering it that the battery is not removable.
Most apps can be moved to the memory card, so the 2gb should be sufficient.

On the non removal battery, I've never understood why it's so much of an issue. In all the phones I've used, I've never had to remove the battery except for battery pulls when the phone hangs. If & when the battery does die, the service centre can replace it. If you are concerned about battery life, just get a portable battery pack.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th May 2014 at 17:26.
Old 17th May 2014, 16:11   #18170
Senior - BHPian

Got Moto E finally.
Initial impressions are good. Touch and processing are fine but cos I am used to the awesomeness of my Nexus 4 maybe it didn't feel very good to me. But, in this price bracket its a gem.

Anyways, the thing is I didn't received a hard copy of the bill. When I called flipkart they said they don't give any hard copies now and sent me the bill in email. They said i can take a print out and it will be valid for warranty. I just want to confirm is this true?

Also, what if a person like my dad buys the phone who doesn't have an email id. How will he get the bill? I am not pleased with this policy at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-moto-e.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-moto.jpg  

Last edited by harry10 : 17th May 2014 at 16:12.
Old 17th May 2014, 18:23   #18171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Got Moto E finally.
Initial impressions are good. Touch and processing are fine but cos I am used to the awesomeness of my Nexus 4 maybe it didn't feel very good to me. But, in this price bracket its a gem.

Anyways, the thing is I didn't received a hard copy of the bill. When I called flipkart they said they don't give any hard copies now and sent me the bill in email. They said i can take a print out and it will be valid for warranty. I just want to confirm is this true?

Also, what if a person like my dad buys the phone who doesn't have an email id. How will he get the bill? I am not pleased with this policy at all.
Bill from Flipkart comes in email, that is correct.

A person like your dad cannot buy Moto E as an email ID is required in some form or another to sign up on Flipkart
Old 17th May 2014, 19:02   #18172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got Moto E finally.
They said i can take a print out and it will be valid for warranty. I just want to confirm is this true?

Congratulations for your MotoE.

Flipkart has stopped sending printed bills, instead its softcopy now. You can also cut out the bill on box with your address and keep it as warranty.

You can order for him and get it delivered at his address. Bill will come to your email.
Old 17th May 2014, 19:16   #18173
BHPian

Need to rest my Nexus 4, it's not rooted so far, how do I backup all messages and other App data and restore it afterwards?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Old 17th May 2014, 20:33   #18174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Need to rest my Nexus 4, it's not rooted so far, how do I backup all messages and other App data and restore it afterwards?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Ooh, snake chasing its tail here. You need root to get application data backup and restore.
Messages are easy enough. I personally prefer sms backup +.
It backs up to gmail.
Old 17th May 2014, 23:21   #18175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Bill from Flipkart comes in email, that is correct.

A person like your dad cannot buy Moto E as an email ID is required in some form or another to sign up on Flipkart
Yeah, i got to know that. I was concerned cos my Nexus 4 came with a hard copy last year. Just wanted to know if warranty will be honored with the email bill which fk people have confirmed so no worries now.
And ya i bought it for my dad only
Old 18th May 2014, 08:47   #18176
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone experiencing Google play services battery
drain on nexus 5 after the recent update to Google play services ?
Old 18th May 2014, 10:13   #18177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I called flipkart they said they don't give any hard copies now and sent me the bill in email.
This is actually GREAT news. I'm tired of seeing how much paper and packaging gets wasted when buying things online.

Also, it will probably be easier for you to find the bill in your email, than the physical copy. (Even if flipkart had sent a printed bill, i'm not sure it would have a stamp or sign on it - would it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Lol. Good catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Is anyone experiencing Google play services battery
drain on nexus 5 after the recent update to Google play services ?
Yes! In the last 2 days (Nexus 4) I've noticed that :
a) Google services was ranked 2nd to 'Screen' - and its never been there before.
b) Sometimes i see the Location icon in the statusbar, even when absolutely no location app is running.

cya
R
Old 18th May 2014, 10:34   #18178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
ok. time to replace my Samsung GS3 (I9305).
Top contenders are - Xperia Z2 & HTC one (M8).

anybody bought either of these? can I get some reviews?
most important for me is battery longevity and call quality.

the rest is all kit kat magic anyway..i'm glad to be stepping away from samsung's bloatware.

I picked up the Xperia Z2 last night. Feels like a premium upgrade from the Samsung GS3. The glass panels front and back and the aluminium chassis give it a very nice look and feel compared to the plastics in Samsung.

the fonts and colors used by Sony also make a difference.

The few pix I took yesterday had me convinced that the camera is definitely a step up but then, I really need to take more to figure it out.

That said, I must admit - it is a bit of a handful. I still need some time to get used to its dimensions.
Also, the GS3 had more customizing options on the widgets. I refer to the stock OS form coz I have never rooted my earlier phone and will not the Xperia too.

the US shipment boxes contain a magnetic charging dock and premium earphones. It's a pity the boxes sent to Finland don't contain the dock and the earphones are really cheap. A smart wear bracelet is part of the package though..don't know what to do of it.
Old 18th May 2014, 22:59   #18179

Hi people,

1. Please recommend me an app for a business diary, preferably which has the option of Speech-to-Text.

2. My Moto Defy, which will be 3 in 3 months, has developed 3 spots in the middle of the screen after numerous falls. The 'freezer' method helped me for a while but this time its gone for good. The local repair guy is asking for 1900 bucks for screen and 500 for battery. That is a hit of 2400. I am thinking why not 7k for a Moto E. Whatsay?
Old 19th May 2014, 12:04   #18180
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Got Moto E finally.
Are you able to access the contents of your memory card? I am not able to. What I am doing is this:

Settings -> Storage -> SD Card. When I touch that, it doesn't open. It only shows the space consumed and the space available on the card.

Also, I can't find anything called "File Manager" which exists on most phones.

What am I missing?

Last edited by Oxy : 19th May 2014 at 12:05.

Most Viewed