Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 11:24   #12271
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Guys my Whatsapp is not initializing.

I bought an Xperia Tipo today and right now I tried starting Whatsapp on wifi and it asked me for my name. After that it said "Initializing"
After 5 minutes or so it says "failed to initialize"
My data traffic is on, wifi is on, even tried uninstalling and reinstalling whatsapp but it just doesn't work.

Please help!

Using Vodafone prepaid btw and don't have any active data plan.
Even my sister got herself a new Galaxy S Duos yesterday, we tried downloading whats app form google market but it kept saying failed to initialize.

Tried it through Airtel 2G GPRS as well as WIFI from my home but of no use, even rebooted the phone and uninstalled the app and again installed it but still same thing.

Googled it today morning and found the following:

Tweet from Whats App

@WA_Status
as it says:
"@WA_Status
sorry system is currently down, we are in the process of investigating"

http://androidforums.com/android-app...-whatsapp.html (Post no.14)

I have checked on twitter and the message is right. Hope the problem is resolved at the earliest.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 5th November 2012 at 11:38.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:14   #12272
BHPian

I'm loving my Tipo! what a phone! Expect a detailed review with pics tomorrow.
Btw I got Vodafone 3G 500mb for 3 months each free. 3G is superfast.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:57   #12273
BHPian

Yesterday, my 7 year old kid was playing with the 'Talking tom Cat' application on my Samsung Android mobile. He clicked on the reward coin purchase pop up button and which resulted deducting Rs.1300 from my credit card account.My hard luck, he clicked 3 times more. The total credit raised to Rs 5200. !!!!
Surprisingly, during the transaction process it never asked verification password. I hope, the transactions would not been happened, if password were asked.
Now, I have given mails to Credit Card department as well as application developer for cancellation of the transaction.

Last edited by Antonian : 5th November 2012 at 13:15.
Old 5th November 2012, 13:30   #12274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
A question for Motorola Defy users:

When I was in Sri Lanka last week, I got hold of a pre-paid sim card from a provider named Dialog. The package they provided was Rs 700 free IDD, 50 local calls and also 1 GB of 3G/ GPRS free for 5 days.

Though the network was good even in interior areas, the only thing I could not get to work was the 3G/ GPRS. Despite searching for available networks and selecting Dialog, the 'H' or '3G' or 'E' symbol was not showing up. I took it to a Dialog center at Kandy, and even they could not get it to work. However it worked like a charm on my daughter's Samsung Galaxy S Advance.

Does any of you know what the reason could be with my Defy not picking up the 3 G or GPRS signal?

I tried with various settings like have Data roaming on or off, background data on or off, data connection on or off, but of no avail.

Edit: My Defy is on stock Froyo--it had come with Eclair and I upgraded to Froyo later.
Bumping up my question once again. Your responses please.
Old 5th November 2012, 13:53   #12275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonian View Post
Surprisingly, during the transaction process it never asked verification password. I hope, the transactions would not been happened, if password were asked.
Now, I have given mails to Credit Card department as well as application developer for cancellation of the transaction.
If I remember correctly, buying apps from Google Play didn't need me to give passwords. The credit card registration with Google Wallet, once done, was enough for all future purchases.

Others can comment on the same. I'm not 100% sure about this.
Old 5th November 2012, 14:10   #12276
BHPian

hi guys upgraded my S2 I9100 from 4.0.3 - 4.0.4..

Is this the only upgrade ? Or will there a jelly bean upgrade too for S2 ??
Old 5th November 2012, 14:42   #12277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonian
Yesterday, my 7 year old kid was playing with the 'Talking tom Cat' application on my Samsung Android mobile. He clicked on the reward coin purchase pop up button and which resulted deducting Rs.1300 from my credit card account.My hard luck, he clicked 3 times more. The total credit raised to Rs 5200. !!!!
As far as i know, you can cancel the play store transaction within 24hrs. I had once purchased a game and than realised i had downloaded aa wrong game and not what wifey wanted, i immediately cancelled it & got refund.

Please check in play store under that app if you have a "Cancel" or "Refund" option.

Regards,
Old 5th November 2012, 15:10   #12278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Try adding conf code in the number itself. E.g. if the conf telephone number is 4444 4444 in Mumbai (+91 22 code), and conf dial in is 23456785, complete number would be:

+912244444444,,,,23456785

If you click on this number on email or dial complete number, phone should :

1. Dial the +912244444444 number
2. Wait for few seconds (change number of , to change that duration)
3. Dial the code
Hi NetfreakBombay, Thanks for the suggestion. How do i go about doing this? Do i need to save the entire number as a contact? How will the phone know when to wait and for how long? Can you explain in a bit more detail? I am somehow not able to understand just how to go about this

Edit:

Got it. I am able to dial the conf bridge successfully. thanks for the help.

However, this is just a work around. I need to find out why this is happening. Did you see this problem too?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 5th November 2012 at 15:39.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:22   #12279
Senior - BHPian

Root method for the Micromax A110 is out - http://www.droidiser.com/2012/11/mic....f1JyCEy8.dpbs
Old 5th November 2012, 15:26   #12280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
hi guys upgraded my S2 I9100 from 4.0.3 - 4.0.4..

Is this the only upgrade ? Or will there a jelly bean upgrade too for S2 ??
Samsung had announced JB (4.1) for s2. ETA - Q4 2012 (November) as per reports online.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:30   #12281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
As far as i know, you can cancel the play store transaction within 24hrs. I had once purchased a game and than realised i had downloaded aa wrong game and not what wifey wanted, i immediately cancelled it & got refund.

Please check in play store under that app if you have a "Cancel" or "Refund" option.

Regards,
Refund is only possible within 15 minutes of purchase.
Is there any chance of getting refund from developer for non intended purchase?

Last edited by Antonian : 5th November 2012 at 15:32.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:32   #12282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I have a weird problem on my S2.
Did you have this problem with the stock ROM?

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2012 at 10:57. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:37   #12283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Did you have this problem with the stock ROM?
Difficult to say. I recently changed the company and only now need to dial into the bridge from my mobile since the calls are after 9 in the evening or early in the morning with folks on the US west coast.

I vaguely remember dialing my old company bridge from my phone but am not sure if i was on stock or third party ROM. But changing back to stock setup is on my to do list.

I really want to get to the root of this. Or at least find out where the problem is. Right now, i don't have a clue.

Did you ever face this issue?
Old 5th November 2012, 15:47   #12284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Got it. I am able to dial the conf bridge successfully. thanks for the help.

However, this is just a work around. I need to find out why this is happening. Did you see this problem too?
This is the standard DTMF protocol + numbering convention. Given that software (in UI or on OS) is not involved and this is directly passed on to baseband chip this should work on any OS.

I have had this issue (of DTMF not being detected) with cell phones / ebpx and sat phones. Including DTMF in number itself solves issues in all of them.

In this particular case, issue is with dialer bundled in custom ROM.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 5th November 2012 at 15:48. Reason: Typo
Old 5th November 2012, 15:51   #12285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is the standard DTMF protocol + numbering convention. Given that software (in UI or on OS) is not involved and this is directly passed on to baseband chip this should work on any OS.

I have had this issue (of DTMF not being detected) with cell phones / ebpx and sat phones. Including DTMF in number itself solves issues in all of them.

In this particular case, issue is with dialer bundled in custom ROM.
Ah thanks. My last roll of the dice was the dialer. So dialer it is. Is there any other dialer that i can install? Which one are you using?

BTW, i am not sure why more people are complaining about this on he official CM10 thread!

Most Viewed