Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 11:51   #12136
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi Guys,

Need advice regarding my Samsung Note (version 1, bought in June-12).
It is running Android 2.3.6.

Of late, the phone has become quite slow/laggy. Even for simple stuff like opening up the Contacts !!
WiFi, 3G is off almost all the time, and have installed only a few apps (myfitnesspal, angry birds, convertpad, linkedin, skype, facebook & TBhp).

I can't do major stuff (reinstall andriod, etc); please suggest simple tweaks I can do to make this go faster.

Regards
lazy
Old 29th October 2012, 12:00   #12137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Hi Guys,

Of late, the phone has become quite slow/laggy. Even for simple stuff like opening up the Contacts !!
WiFi, 3G is off almost all the time, and have installed only a few apps (myfitnesspal, angry birds, convertpad, linkedin, skype, facebook & TBhp).

I can't do major stuff (reinstall andriod, etc); please suggest simple tweaks I can do to make this go faster.

Regards
lazy
Install this , "android assistant".
For non-rooted, this will help you in shifting portions of apps, fix startup apps, and clear cache.
for starters.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:08   #12138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Restart the phone and see if it works better few minutes after restart.

With Android, you can safely do a factory reset without loosing too much data since your contacts are anyways backed up and you can take a backup of SMS etc on desktop.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:11   #12139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Are you talking about the guy from Gadgets Portal? Reviews from this guy are fun to hear.

BTW... Available at Saholic at Rs.9999.
No I was talking about the guy from Maniac Store.
Even the camera is not positioned properly in the video.
Here's the "review"
Old 29th October 2012, 12:12   #12140
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Regards
lazy
Hi Lazy,

WHY are you still on android 2.3.6?

My note is running version 4.0.4 and is as fast as it should be and there are plenty of new useful features plus a better battery management as well. Copy your stuff from the phone memory to memory card and upgrade your phone OTA, its a very simple process, all you need is a fast wifi connection.

If you don't want to upgrade then install Go sms & go contacts from the play store at least this will solve your problem with slow contacts/dialer/sms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I've been searching, reading and comparing phones for a while to replace my handicapped SGS i9000, when a friend suggested I consider Pantech's Burst phone.

Anyone tried it ? Specs are better than and costs half(INR 10,000) as much as SGS i9000; plus it comes with ICS. I might put in an order in a few days.

Company Website
XDA discussion
Engadget review
Ebay

Hi Vinu,

Do check out the pantech burst thread on desidime, most of the guys there bought it for 7-7.5k.you will get plenty of user reviews and useful tips & information regarding the phone in that thread.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th October 2012 at 13:30. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:33   #12141
BHPian

I am facing an issue with my samsung galaxy SL.
Since last morning the phone is not able to detect the sim at all. Tried restarting, changing settings, fight mode on and off etc etc. Nothign worked. I even got my sim replaced. But didnt help.
Anybody faced this issue?
Old 29th October 2012, 12:38   #12142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Why 2.3.6 still ? Connect to WiFi , Connect Charger go to settings and find updates , once the update starts downloading rest every thing is pretty automated. Preferably do this in night as you have a huge update to download.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:39   #12143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What works for me is Linkedin. Just send a request and both of you would find contact info in phone's contacts once that is accepted. Both Linkedin and facebook can mix online contacts with phonebook.

With that, if your contact changes email ID/phone etc it will automatically be updated on phone by app.

EDIT:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=958778

This app can send vcards as SMS.
I've been on Linkedin since its inception (was even a part of the beta test program) So that definitely works for me.

But not everyone links/mixes their FB and LI contacts with phone contacts (I don't like messing up the phone contact book unnecessarily). And only 5% people would include their phone numbers in Linkedin profile. So you are left with a scenario where you have the email ID but not the phone number of the person. However, both are equally important and needed for effective networking.

Also consider this scenario - you met someone at a conference/in the lift/while getting in or out of a building etc. Forget business card - not everyone carries it or you may run out of them or may not want to share instantly. What do you do? Or if you want to avoid sharing official business card, but have a created a personal phone book vcard that you would like to share (I do that with some people).

Let me try the link you have shared. Looks promising.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:49   #12144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Hi Vinu,

Do check out the pantech burst thread on desidime, most of the guys there bought it for 7-7.5k.you will get plenty of user reviews and useful tips & information regarding the phone in that thread.
Hi Lancerlover.

I actually used the reviews and discussions that were available on Techenclave. The early birds bought them at 7k, but the rest had to get them at 10k after demand and popularity of the phone improved.

I bought my i9000 in the UK and am now unable to have it repaired in India. Buying Pantech's Burst would mean making the same mistake again for me. To make things worse, this would come with a US only warranty as well.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:57   #12145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Hi Lancerlover.

I actually used the reviews and discussions that were available on Techenclave. The early birds bought them at 7k, but the rest had to get them at 10k after demand and popularity of the phone improved.

I bought my i9000 in the UK and am now unable to have it repaired in India. Buying Pantech's Burst would mean making the same mistake again for me. To make things worse, this would come with a US only warranty as well.
From what I have read about the phone so far, at 8k IMO its worth taking the risk but I wouldn't pay anything beyond that.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:23   #12146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
From what I have read about the phone so far, at 8k IMO its worth taking the risk but I wouldn't pay anything beyond that.
It does seem worthy of the risk. Most reviews are from 1 month of ownership or less. I might wait till new years' to see if their opinion changes.

Besides, compare this phone with that of the biggies and we'll notice that they(latter) make no less than >40% margin. Quite lucrative.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:37   #12147
BHPian

Hi All,

Can anyone using samsung galaxy nexus (i9250) please let me know from where I can get it in bangalore? I know its available on ebay.in

Also if anyone ordered it from ebay, Please help providing below info. Please let me know the seller from where you bought. I see that prices starts from ~21K. Are these phones UNLOCKED ones? Does it carry any operator logo on it?

I understand that Seller warranty is as good as no warranty and I'm okay with that.

I also see that CDMA 32GB ones are going at even cheaper rate ~17.5K. Does it make sense to go for those phones? My main concern for those phones are they carry operator logos and that I dont like.

Regads
SE
Old 29th October 2012, 13:59   #12148
Distinguished - BHPian

Shifted over completely to the Android camp after selling off my IP4s 64GB.

Currently using a SGS3, a Note 2 was purchased today. The plasticky feel of Samsung handsets is the only disappointment so far.
Old 29th October 2012, 14:22   #12149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post

Also if anyone ordered it from ebay, Please help providing below info. Please let me know the seller from where you bought. I see that prices starts from ~21K. Are these phones UNLOCKED ones? Does it carry any operator logo on it?
Sorry, I am not sure about Bangalore but I recently got an unlocked GNex from a store in Indore for my younger brother. Completely packed piece for 19200. And yes, it did not come with any warranty. No Operator logo on it - the build is Yakjuxw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Shifted over completely to the Android camp after selling off my IP4s 64GB.

Currently using a SGS3, a Note 2 was purchased today. The plasticky feel of Samsung handsets is the only disappointment so far.
Welcome! I still cannot decide which camp would have been better for me. The freedom and flexibility of Android won me over - but I miss the "polish" of apple apps and the fluidity of reminders-tasks-exchange emails.

While and if you are using the SGS3 stock - please dont forget to update it to latest UK JB official ROM - its seriously a step forward for Android. Butter smooth!

Note From Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT / MULTI-QUOTE functions within 30 minutes of posting, instead of creating back-to-back posts. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th October 2012 at 17:58.
Old 29th October 2012, 16:34   #12150
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here.

Any news on the launch date for the SIII mini in India?

Need get a Android for my friend with small hands, anything about 4.0" is a strict no-no.

Hope are pinned on the SIII mini for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks