Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 18:47   #11986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

Best launcher for any thing above 4.0.4 is nova prime launcher.
Or Apex.

Avoid Go Launcher. Unnecessary drain on battery and typical Chinese look and feel. Unless you fancy that stuff.
Old 18th October 2012, 18:52   #11987
Distinguished - BHPian

Nova isn't free. For swipe up and down action, you have to go pro.
Apex and Zeam are excellent.
Light and superfast!
Old 18th October 2012, 18:59   #11988
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I have never rooted a phone ever so i am not going to venture into this territory with a new phone. And i am a basic user as my usage is an hour of calls, whatsapp, FB, TBHP (when i am not in office), angry birds on some days.
rooting is simple, my Defy+ is rooted. However, when it comes to some of the things that rooting allows a person to do, that starts to get a bit scary.

I don't understand that rooting is necessary to run utilities like Titanium Backup (correct me if wrong) which is the sort of basic thing anyone wants to do with a computer. I also don't like the fact that Android is open as far as Google and the manufacturers want it to be, which is not at all, or as far as they allow by turning a blind eye. But that's a whole other story.
Old 18th October 2012, 19:31   #11989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Regarding software, I know there is no need of warranty on it, as we can do anything on our own. This will be my second Android, already using a rooted, S-OFF'ed custom ROM'ed HTC Desire.

Do you guys run a custom ROM or have done any OC stuff on this? I heard that this can be OC'ed to 1.8GHz. But I think the stock performance itself is quite decent.
I flashed the factory image 4.1.1 using fastboot method. Very very simple and fast. Best part is, you are bone stock. No useless apps, customizations etc. You can disable any of the stock apps which you don't use much. I have disabled browser, gmail, currents etc.

Never felt the need for root. Main reason for getting this was to stay stock. I rooted earlier devices simply because I could not rely on Samsung for updates. This is not applicable for the Nex. You get updates as soon as it is released by Google and you can install them without rooting your phone.

I don't see any big benefits coming out of rooting it. Its running beautifully on stock, so don't feel the need for OC.

Use it stock for sometime once you get it, then decide if you want to root/oc or the likes.

----------------------------------------------------------
While on the topic of launchers, I use Apex. Fiddling around with the options almost daily. Heres what my home screen looks like right now.
Name:  Screenshot_resized.png
Views: 641
Size:  337.2 KB

Last edited by Dry Ice : 18th October 2012 at 19:45.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:24   #11990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice
------------------------------------------------------
While on the topic of launchers, I use Apex. Fiddling around with the options almost daily. Heres what my home screen looks like right now.
That's a cool looking home screen!
Old 18th October 2012, 21:41   #11991
Distinguished - BHPian

For people with Samsung I9100 S2 on stock roms, the official upgrade to 4.0.4 Ics is available from kies. I installed mine today and it is faster, especially for contacts and is also supposed to solve the wifi issues and improve the battery life.
Regards
Behemoth
Old 18th October 2012, 21:50   #11992
BHPian

Google has invited press for an Android exclusive event on 29th October.

Things expected to be announced are -

* New Nexus device (LG Nexus 4)
* Android 4.2
* Nexus 7 with more storage (most likely 32gb)

Name:  invite.png
Views: 808
Size:  240.7 KB

More information here - http://androidandme.com/2012/10/news...new-york-city/
Old 19th October 2012, 04:12   #11993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think you will get the phone cheaper at your friendly mobile phone walla.
It all depends on your bargaining skills.

Recently a colleague picked up a Karbonn phone for 7.5K where as the lowest price was 7.9K and flipkart price was 8.2K.

Please try that option as well.
Yes, agreed. I went to the big market in gurgaon and got a quote for 32700 for blue (incl fixing screenguard for free) and 33000 for white. Will try and wheedle them for another 200 or so more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
While the coupon code (GREEN2012) and price after discount (Rs 33,155) remains the same, you now have color choice!

White: http://www.infibeam.com/Mobiles/i-Sa...k=gadget_store

Blue: http://www.infibeam.com/Mobiles/i-Sa...k=gadget_store

Red: http://www.infibeam.com/Mobiles/i-Sa...k=gadget_store
Thanks man, but will go the offline way. We are going on a 2 week trip in a week's time, so want it in our grubby hands asap. plus its cheaper!!
Old 19th October 2012, 08:31   #11994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Galaxy Nexus (White) for 21.4K, with 1 year Dealer warranty - Is it a good deal folks?
Except the removable back panel/battery door in white, there is no other distinction. It beats me why White was selling at a premium initially.
Quote:
Ordered it, from ebay. He offers hardware service warranty if the item is brought to Chennai. The cost was 21.4K in total. I hope this phone lives up to my expectations.
Did you go for the ServPro warranty or seller warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
...Never felt the need for root. Main reason for getting this was to stay stock. I rooted earlier devices simply because I could not rely on Samsung for updates. This is not applicable for the Nex. You get updates as soon as it is released by Google and you can install them without rooting your phone.

I don't see any big benefits coming out of rooting it. Its running beautifully on stock, so don't feel the need for OC.

Use it stock for sometime once you get it, then decide if you want to root/oc or the likes.
Well, if you browse through XDA Forums for Nexus, you'll immediately change your mind on the above. While GNex is a wonderful phone (even I have one) and scores above everything else due to the stock Android, but its still *not* the best. Google has purportedly restricted certain features. Otherwise, how would it justify releasing those minor updates to keep people happy?

E.g. graphic acceleration is limited. So if you root and install a custom ROM, you can get rid of such limitations. After all, a custom ROM is always designed to improve flaws in the stock ROM right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes, agreed. I went to the big market in gurgaon and got a quote for 32700 for blue (incl fixing screenguard for free) and 33000 for white. Will try and wheedle them for another 200 or so more!

Thanks man, but will go the offline way. We are going on a 2 week trip in a week's time, so want it in our grubby hands asap. plus its cheaper!!
After all this is India man! For popular/currently selling things, offline model still scores higher. Plus, the opportunity to leverage relationship/face-to-face contact to get discount!

OT - In another news, Emoze has launched their push mail service for Android. I had used Emoze on Symbian (E71) and it was terrific. Hopefully they would continue it for Android too! Here's the app link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...moze.Emozesync

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 19th October 2012 at 08:33.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:35   #11995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
Well, if you browse through XDA Forums for Nexus, you'll immediately change your mind on the above. While GNex is a wonderful phone (even I have one) and scores above everything else due to the stock Android, but its still *not* the best. Google has purportedly restricted certain features. Otherwise, how would it justify releasing those minor updates to keep people happy?

E.g. graphic acceleration is limited. So if you root and install a custom ROM, you can get rid of such limitations. After all, a custom ROM is always designed to improve flaws in the stock ROM right?
Well I have been browsing the Nexus section from much before I actually got it. While I agree rooting will give you much more options to optimize performance as well as the UI, for the time being I would like to stay unrooted. About custom roms being better than the stock ones, I see many who recommend the reverse too and like to stay stock. There is thread running on this in the xda nexus general section.

Having said that, lets see how much longer can I resist the temptation of mods. :&ndash

By the way, which rom are you on?
Old 19th October 2012, 13:41   #11996
mxx
BHPian

Is there a way to block an app from sending outgoing sms? Is there anything within android system that allows this? or should I use 3rd party app?

PS: I am running ICS.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:44   #11997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Is there a way to block an app from sending outgoing sms? Is there anything within android system that allows this? or should I use 3rd party app?
This is only possible if device is rooted. a HOWTO:

http://www.howtogeek.com/115888/how-...p-permissions/

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 19th October 2012 at 13:52. Reason: typo
Old 19th October 2012, 14:04   #11998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Except the removable back panel/battery door in white, there is no other distinction. It beats me why White was selling at a premium initially.

Did you go for the ServPro warranty or seller warranty?
If you look at ebay today, white is having lesser price than black ones. And there seems to be a scarcity for the black ones.

The seller is offering service warranty. I do not get any other warranties.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:26   #11999
Distinguished - BHPian

The battery life on my Xperia Sola has become pathetic after the ICS upgrade. Every night it loses 30-35% charge in 7-8 hours with all data services disabled.

Any ideas to resolve this? Anyone else facing this?
Old 19th October 2012, 14:41   #12000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The battery life on my Xperia Sola has become pathetic after the ICS upgrade. Every night it loses 30-35% charge in 7-8 hours with all data services disabled.

Any ideas to resolve this? Anyone else facing this?
Is it stock?
Then try the power saver app. It is preinstalled.
I lose about 2-3%, max.

Most Viewed