Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 08:42   #12091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thank you very much for the links! Never came across that first link. Got to try it. The procedure looks so simple to be true! Everywhere else, you are presented with warnings in big red font that your data will be lost!

Is it that you were lucky not losing the /data or this method won't destroy it at all? I have already taken an adb backup anyway.
There was no warning as such that the data might be at risk. I took a backup of the absolute essentials just to be safe and went ahead. Luckily, didn't need it. So I guess there is no threat to the data but it's better to have a backup.

With the new root privileges, I am contemplating whether to buy Tasker. The possibilities seem endless!!
Old 25th October 2012, 09:53   #12092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
There was no warning as such that the data might be at risk. I took a backup of the absolute essentials just to be safe and went ahead. Luckily, didn't need it. So I guess there is no threat to the data but it's better to have a backup.

With the new root privileges, I am contemplating whether to buy Tasker. The possibilities seem endless!!
I could not even boot into cwm through fastboot since the boot loader is still locked. I wonder how it worked for you!
Old 25th October 2012, 10:05   #12093
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine is unlocked, how did you upgrade to 4.1.1? I used the 2nd link I posted. Unlocking the bootloader is 2nd or 3rd step there. I believe that's why it worked for me.

Unlocking the bootloader wipes the data though.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:05   #12094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Is this the right place for a "What Phone?"question?I am in the market for a phone with a budget of about 15K,stretchable to 16K if its worth it.I have narrowed it down these requirements:

1.Android,ICS.
2.Dual-Core isnt a bad idea,Xperia U is a good buy? Rest all mostly run on 1 ghz Snapdragons.
3.Mostly have a 512 Ram and i think thats enough for me,i dont anticipate super-heavy use.
4.A bit wary of the homegrown brands.Micromax A100 looks enticing.
5.Not too fond of the Tipo range.

Galaxy S Dous,HTC Desire V, Xperia U and Xperia Miro are my current favourites.What do you guys suggest?
Xperia U has only 8 GB memory and no expandable memory - avoid.
Miro is under specced and over-priced at the moment - avoid.

Go for Samsung Galaxy S duos or HTC Desire V - both are dual SIM models and VFM at their existing price.

If you could increase your budget to 18-20k, you will have lots of dual core models to choose from. Do check out Motorola Atrix 2 - real VFM at current price.

Rohan
Old 25th October 2012, 10:29   #12095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is unlocked, how did you upgrade to 4.1.1? I used the 2nd link I posted. Unlocking the bootloader is 2nd or 3rd step there. I believe that's why it worked for me.

Unlocking the bootloader wipes the data though.
Ah.. There you go. So there is no easy way without losing your data once.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:33   #12096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Ah.. There you go. So there is no easy way without losing your data once.
I presumed you already had a unlocked bootloader. I knew it would wipe my data and thus was one of the first things I did as soon as I got the phone.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:49   #12097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I presumed you already had a unlocked bootloader. I knew it would wipe my data and thus was one of the first things I did as soon as I got the phone.
That was a wise step. I was too busy updating to JB and installing apps then.

The link I posted yesterday here gives a method by which you can root without ever unlocking the bootloader - I tired it but in vain.

I am now planning to:

1) Do adb backup
2) Copy all sdcard contents to PC
3) uunlock bootloader by fastboot command
4) Root using the method given in your post
5) Restore sd card data
6) Restore adb back up

Painful process I know :(

Last edited by clevermax : 25th October 2012 at 10:51.
Old 25th October 2012, 13:14   #12098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Is this the right place for a "What Phone?"question?I am in the market for a phone with a budget of about 15K,stretchable to 16K if its worth it.I have narrowed it down these requirements:

1.Android,ICS.
2.Dual-Core isnt a bad idea,Xperia U is a good buy? Rest all mostly run on 1 ghz Snapdragons.
3.Mostly have a 512 Ram and i think thats enough for me,i dont anticipate super-heavy use.
4.A bit wary of the homegrown brands.Micromax A100 looks enticing.
5.Not too fond of the Tipo range.

Galaxy S Dous,HTC Desire V, Xperia U and Xperia Miro are my current favourites.What do you guys suggest?
Hi,

If you OK buying online have a look at Sony Xperia Sola 3G deal going on at Superdeals. its offered at Rs.15,995/-.

http://superdeals.homeshop18.com/dea...ny2-superdeal/

Some key specs are :

Key features:
5MP camera with Video Recording
Android OS, v2.3 (Gingerbread)
3G connectivity
NFC Tag, Scratch-resistant glass
Floating touch display
Bravia Engine
Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 Processor
Memory expandable upto 32GB
Screen size inches: 3.7inch (8.6cm)
Standard battery, Li-Ion 1320 mAh
WAP, GPRS
EDGE, Wi-Fi, GPS
Social Networking, FM Radio
Bluetooth (A2DP)
3.5mm jack, You Tube

Also, IF you can stretch your budget a little further you can check out Motorola Atrix 2. Its priced at 18.5k at Flipkart. its a well loaded phone and quite future proof technically.

Regards,
Old 25th October 2012, 13:27   #12099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted

I did not lose any data!

Steps : fastboot oem unlock (luckily this didn't delete my data and sdcard)
booted to cwm through fastboot and flashed the Superuser bianary like you did.

Just happy that I did not have to do an adb restore and copy the sd card contents back!
Old 25th October 2012, 13:58   #12100
BHPian

Have a query.

How do I open an .html file that is stored locally on my phone using the Chrome Browser App ?

I have a locally developed file that I use to control my media player, now when I navigate to the file using a file browser the Open options are only the stock HTML viewer. It does not have any option like Open With Chrome/Firefox app etc..

What I tried
Settings > Apps > Try to clear defaults for HTML Viewer. But this does not appear at all.
Ps: I am on stock ICS 4.0.4

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 25th October 2012, 14:00   #12101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted

I did not lose any data!

Steps : fastboot oem unlock (luckily this didn't delete my data and sdcard)
booted to cwm through fastboot and flashed the Superuser bianary like you did.

Just happy that I did not have to do an adb restore and copy the sd card contents back!
Oh great! Nice to know it doesn't delete your data. :-)
Old 25th October 2012, 14:28   #12102
Senior - BHPian

Any idea as to when will the ICS upgrade for the Verizon Droid Incredible 2 (CDMA/GSM) become available. The original date was end August - still waiting.

Also, whether it will work with an Revolutionary / AlphaRevX unlock, ie H-off..

Else to use the CM9 or 10 one has to revert to Froyo, restore the H-on bootloader, then do an official Unlock of the bootloader, root again, and then go for CM9 or 10. A real pain in the backside, and now with some download sites blocked will be tough to get the files as well. Also, the official bootloader unlock does not allow running a zip file either.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:22   #12103
BHPian

Curious to know if in your experience, when the phone was set to Auto(3g/2g) network selection mode and both 2g and 3g were available, did the phone prefer to connect to 2g or 3g ? I've set mine to Auto so that it always is connected when I shuttle between rural and urban. In my experience it always prefers 3g to 2g. Wondering if I can do something about that without setting it to just 2g.
Old 25th October 2012, 17:53   #12104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I am also disappointed with Sony because of their treatment to 2011 Xperia phones. However I don't face the issues you've mentioned above for my Neo V. Can't comment on the ICS on Ray, but it's pretty solid on Neo V. Only problem is the slow-like-hell dialer app, but I've replaced it with ExDialer since long.
Surprising. Neo V's update does not have any bugs like LED, compass not working, network mode not sticking, etc., etc? And no lag? As for lag, its not like the lag is extraordinarily high (the dialer is infuriating, yes) but when you see phones like Micromax and Karbonn, etc., having much lesser lag, then you know its hardly a "solid" piece of work.

Please sign the petition dudes (in case someone has not seen earlier message) - http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ean-4-1-1.html

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th October 2012 at 17:56.
Old 25th October 2012, 20:05   #12105
Senior - BHPian

For those who miss sliding/swiping on Swiftkey, the next version is going to include this capability. Though its not happing too soon - expected to be out in 3rd quarter of next year. I just hope it does not add bloat compared to their existing offering. Somehow, I feel that the "feel" of their earlier version Swiftkey X was better than Swiftkey 3.

Thats going to put it in direct competition with Swype. Lets see how Swype evolves to face it.

Sliding with Swifkey's prediction engine should be a killer combo. However, I don't know how Swype's predictive capabilities compare to that of Swiftkey. Can anybody who has recently been using both comment?

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th October 2012 at 20:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks