Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:38   #13591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

If the mobile does not have Compass/magnetometer, can we still use google offline maps? As far as navigation is concerned?
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:50   #13592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
mobile does not have Compass/magnetometer, can we still use google offline maps?......
Yes, you can use GPS/AGPS for navigation. Only difference is, App will not be able to show correct direction if car is stationary.
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:41   #13593
Distinguished - BHPian

HCL Me AM7-A1 dead.

At least, hanging on boot. This machine has been a pain, ever since it was received as a present, with evidence of not having been unused when it was bought. The SIM socket failed, and was, supposedly repaired by HCL customer service. After that, apart from Google Play (which is not standard to this machine) claiming that a lot of stuff is incompatible, it worked for a while.

I can boot to recovery stage, and have tried all of the clear cache and factory reset options. I've also used the pin-hole reset. Nothing helps. Searches in Google reveal that I'm not the only one to have this problem. However, even having excluded the heap of results from can't-actually-answer-this-dot-com sites, I've been ten pages into Google without finding anything that I can attempt to flash onto this thing.

Really can't be bothered with HCL service again; they kept it for weeks last time.

Dump it? Take it to a local mobile shop and see if they have an android wizard? or what?
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:24   #13594
BHPian

My Xperia Tipo isn't connecting to the internet since 3 days. I don't know what's wrong because I don't remember changing any settings. This happened after I rebooted my phone at night. Im running CM10 fxp rom.
I contacted Vodafone and they said the internet plan is active.

Any idea?
Old 23rd January 2013, 18:14   #13595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Take it to a local mobile shop and see if they have an android wizard? or what?
There are only two options, in best case scenario you might find original name of the Device (I.e. Chinese OEM supplier). With that you might get better results in terms of ROMs etc.

Otherwise, local mobile shop is the only option.
Old 23rd January 2013, 19:55   #13596
BHPian

So, I dropped my Note 2 on a tarred road thankfully no damages to the screen and back cover. But the middle plate seems to have taken the brunt.

A casual enquiry at a samsung store and the guy tells me it's 9000rs to replace the middle plate. I just refused to believe that and found that the OEM middle plate just costs 25$ in the USA.

Any thoughts? 9000 rs.. I'm definitely not replacing it. But anything close to 25$ may be worth considering. Because the Note 2 really looks ugly with a few cuts and bruises.
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:45   #13597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
So, I dropped my Note 2 on a tarred road thankfully no damages to the screen and back cover. But the middle plate seems to have taken the brunt.

A casual enquiry at a samsung store and the guy tells me it's 9000rs to replace the middle plate. I just refused to believe that and found that the OEM middle plate just costs 25$ in the USA.

Any thoughts? 9000 rs.. I'm definitely not replacing it. But anything close to 25$ may be worth considering. Because the Note 2 really looks ugly with a few cuts and bruises.
Sorry to hear about your note, you might want to check this http://bangalore.olx.in/110-original...-iid-471157823

In case you are unable to find something reasonable, try using a full body case like this http://www.fommy.co.in/Samsung/Amzer...ack-P95156.htm. This will keep the damage under cover while adding the extra protection.
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:46   #13598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My Xperia Tipo isn't connecting to the internet since 3 days. I don't know what's wrong because I don't remember changing any settings. This happened after I rebooted my phone at night. Im running CM10 fxp rom.
I contacted Vodafone and they said the internet plan is active.

Any idea?
Try this- remove the sim and put it back again. Worked in my case, May work for you too.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:46   #13599
Senior - BHPian

Got myself a HTC Desire SV few days back. I am extremely happy with the buy. My last phone was a 2 year old wildfire.In last 10 years of mobile usage only Nokia and HTC gave a trouble free ownership. Since I don't like any of current Nokia phones. I decided to stick with HTC and Android.For some reason HTC phones are not popular in the forum and to some extent in the country. But they make some of the phones with best build quality out there. Desire SV is no different. Not too heavy not too light. Just the right kind of feel and grip.

The phone has an excellent 4.3" Super LCD2 display.Extremely good to look at, at least to my eyes and few others who have seen the phone.Reasonably fast Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A5 processor. Neat and clean HTC sense GUI which I rate as the best among the peer phones.
On the down side the phone is a Dual SIM which I never plan to use. This add dead weight to the phone. Also some minor omissions like magnetic sensor and gorilla glass are dampeners. Even my old Wildfire had them. Overall a good buy from Flipkart for 19.7K
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-htc1.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 24th January 2013 at 11:15.
Old 24th January 2013, 11:12   #13600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Try this- remove the sim and put it back again. Worked in my case, May work for you too.
Just now someone posted on the xda thread that this is a bug with CM10. Switched on airplane mode and again switched it off and voila!
Old 24th January 2013, 15:33   #13601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Sorry to hear about your note, you might want to check this http://bangalore.olx.in/110-original...-iid-471157823

In case you are unable to find something reasonable, try using a full body case like this http://www.fommy.co.in/Samsung/Amzer...ack-P95156.htm. This will keep the damage under cover while adding the extra protection.
That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot mate.

Im sure the Amzer would bullet-proof my Note, but it may upgrade it's looks from a slate to a brick. I guess it's a choice I ll need to make.
Old 24th January 2013, 18:25   #13602
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, about the Atrix 2, has Motorola released a official ICS update yet? If yes, can it be updated OTA? I believe it is still shipping with GB.
Old 24th January 2013, 18:57   #13603

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman
Got myself a HTC Desire SV few days back. I am extremely happy with the buy. My last phone was a 2 year old wildfire.In last 10 years of mobile usage only Nokia and HTC gave a trouble free ownership. Since I don't like any of current Nokia phones. I decided to stick with HTC and Android.For some reason HTC phones are not popular in the forum and to some extent in the country. But they make some of the phones with best build quality out there. Desire SV is no different. Not too heavy not too light. Just the right kind of feel and grip.
I second that. It's really a good phone. I was looking for a good CDMA phone and the only other choice was a Blackberry (Querty) or a Samsung Duos. Samsung did not have a led flash and average display. Got this phone at a rock bottom price of 18.3k in Mumbai.
Old 24th January 2013, 20:07   #13604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Guys, about the Atrix 2, has Motorola released a official ICS update yet? If yes, can it be updated OTA? I believe it is still shipping with GB.
Yes, the ICS update released around Oct. '12. IIRC. You should get an OTA notification immediately.

There is now a official jellybean leak as well and its very stable.
Old 24th January 2013, 20:21   #13605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuice View Post
I second that. It's really a good phone. I was looking for a good CDMA phone and the only other choice was a Blackberry (Querty) or a Samsung Duos. Samsung did not have a led flash and average display. Got this phone at a rock bottom price of 18.3k in Mumbai.
That is a good price. From where you got it? Did you get a free SD card? Got a Sandisk 16Gb sdhc card free along with the phone from flipcart. Currently black one is out of stock there. Some discount is on offer in eBay for HTC phones and you can get the phone around the price you got.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks