Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 08:40   #21091
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Any suggestions on a good free app to monitor data usage?
The phones themselves have something like this built in. Isn't it ? Aren't they good enough? No idea on apps though.
Old 6th April 2015, 08:47   #21092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For India & for my usage, I am using AirTel's own application. My AirTel. It automatically considers my billing date & warns me accordingly.

There should be something from your operator. Please check.
Old 6th April 2015, 09:00   #21093
BHPian

Quote:
Most Androids, or I think ALL Androids have a " Data Usage" thingie where you can monitor it . You just have to find it. On my HTC One its under MORE>WIRELESS&NETWORKS>DATA USAGE.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:21   #21094
BHPian

Quote:
The best app for this used to be 3G Watchdog. But please note this is not 100% reliable as sometimes it is not in sync with your actual data usage, resulting in surprises when your bill is generated.

However, as others suggested, there's an inbuilt feature in most android phones that lets you define the bill cycle, your data limit for the cycle, threshold at which you should be warned of the data usage and threshold at which mobile data should be switched off.

In addition to this, there are also apps by respective operators that help you track your tariff plan, unbilled amount, data usage etc. 'My Airtel' is an example. Hope this helps.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:06   #21095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I use Internet speed meter and am happy with it. No frills app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Try "Balance Inbox". I find it to be a great app. Only works on prepaid, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
There should be something from your operator. Please check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The best app for this used to be 3G Watchdog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The phones themselves have something like this built in. Isn't it ? Aren't they good enough? No idea on apps though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Most Androids, or I think ALL Androids have a " Data Usage" thingie where you can monitor it . You just have to find it. On my HTC One its under MORE>WIRELESS&NETWORKS>DATA USAGE.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. As Ampere and Pixantz mentioned, tried looking around the settings and found the in-built tracker/limiter.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150406132555.png
Old 6th April 2015, 12:14   #21096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And my experience is just the opposite. Copied from Nexus Help forum.
What is the RAM usage on your phone ? When I got the 5.0.1 update my phone went crazy with just 100-200mb of free RAM left. I then uninstalled zomato and a few other apps,taking a shot in the dark. Luckily things were fine after that.
Old 6th April 2015, 16:19   #21097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
What is the RAM usage on your phone ? When I got the 5.0.1 update my phone went crazy with just 100-200mb of free RAM left. I then uninstalled zomato and a few other apps,taking a shot in the dark. Luckily things were fine after that.
Have 7+ GB of space left. I have only 5 HD videos (of 5-10 mins) and few family photographs. Don't use many applications either.

Should I do a factory reset? But, I had no issues in the past and this has happened only after this 5.1 upgrade.
Old 6th April 2015, 18:13   #21098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have 7+ GB of space left. I have only 5 HD videos (of 5-10 mins) and few family photographs. Don't use many applications either.

Should I do a factory reset? But, I had no issues in the past and this has happened only after this 5.1 upgrade.
No not storage. Go into Settings-->Apps-->Running. Check how much of free RAM you have. This should be around a gb since you don't many apps installed.
On 5.0.1 I had only 200 mb free and that made the phone very slow like you've described.

You might have tried it already,but did restarting your phone make any difference ?

You could try a factory reset after all other options are exhausted.

Regarding 5.xx update,yes its not been great for Nexus users over the last 6 months or so.
Old 6th April 2015, 20:39   #21099
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone using Galaxy Grand Max? I read good reviews about it. Available only on Snapdeal.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:54   #21100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
No not storage. Go into Settings-->Apps-->Running. Check how much of free RAM you have. This should be around a gb since you don't many apps installed.
On 5.0.1 I had only 200 mb free and that made the phone very slow like you've described.
A wee bit less than 900MB. I think it is good enough. Problems have reduced though. I think the application My Airtel which got updated almost alongside with it was the major culprit. Rest other issues seem to be going back to normal.

If I do a factory reset & clear cache, will it be ok?
Old 7th April 2015, 12:21   #21101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A wee bit less than 900MB. I think it is good enough. Problems have reduced though. I think the application My Airtel which got updated almost alongside with it was the major culprit. Rest other issues seem to be going back to normal.

If I do a factory reset & clear cache, will it be ok?
I'd suggest continue to remove all apps that may have been updated recently. It should solve the problem like what happened with me.
If you're not satisfied still, do a factory reset.If the phone's rooted you can do a dalvik cache wipe too.
Old 8th April 2015, 11:25   #21102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Thanks. The main purpose is for internet browsing and social usage so we wouldn't be using the tab for calling at all. The 3G would be for internet connectivity only.

How would you compare the Dell Venue 7 with, say, the Nexus 7? Equal or better, overall? I already own a Nexus 7 myself (non 3G, though)

Try "Balance Inbox". I find it to be a great app. Only works on prepaid, though.
Hi there, I cant comment on this one as I have no experience with the Nexus 7. But all I can say is, in the end you get what you pay for. In the tab market 10,000 is like the budget end of things for a 3G SIM enabled unit. And I find budget offerings do not have the best hardware. Where our 18,000 samsung smartphones show full strength mobile signal, the budget tablet shows only half signal. And over time budget tabs will lag and will require master reset every few months or so if you are a heavy user.

After using the 10,000 Rs Dell 7 tab, my advice is to go for a slightly higher budget of around 15,000 and look what you can get for that range.
Old 8th April 2015, 19:55   #21103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi there, I cant comment on this one as I have no experience with the Nexus 7. But all I can say is, in the end you get what you pay for. In the tab market 10,000 is like the budget end of things for a 3G SIM enabled unit. And I find budget offerings do not have the best hardware. Where our 18,000 samsung smartphones show full strength mobile signal, the budget tablet shows only half signal. And over time budget tabs will lag and will require master reset every few months or so if you are a heavy user.

After using the 10,000 Rs Dell 7 tab, my advice is to go for a slightly higher budget of around 15,000 and look what you can get for that range.
Thank you. What you say makes sense. I'm not too happy with the Nexus 7's performance which is why I wanted to find out how the Venue7 performed. The Nexus7 was originally a 15K tablet but it can be quite slow and frustrating to use sometimes.

I'm looking at the Mi Pad right now - our whole family is hooked onto Redmis.
Old 8th April 2015, 23:54   #21104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is anyone using Galaxy Grand Max? I read good reviews about it. Available only on Snapdeal.
If you want a decent smart phone stay away from sammy. Touchwiz will lag like hell in a few months time. Always choose phones with no oem skins/light skins.
Old 14th April 2015, 12:11   #21105
BHPian

Anybody receiving OTA updates for CM12 on their OPO? I am yet to receive one. Please share mirror links if any are available.

Note from Support - Post moved to the correct thread.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th April 2015 at 14:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks