Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 18:48   #20941
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys, need some help here.

I have the Ola Cabs app installed on my wife's Moto G gen-1 handset. On a fine day, it just stopped working. When we try logging in, it displays an error message - Something went wrong.

But I am able to use my wife's login credentials with no issues on the Ola app my Mi3, so clearly it is a handset issue and not an app issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times but same error all through.

Anyone has an idea what can fix this issue?

I have avast antivirus installed so did a full scan and nothing came up here too. Safe mode boot did not throw any issues too.
Old 19th March 2015, 19:04   #20942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

I have the Ola Cabs app installed on my wife's Moto G gen-1 handset. On a fine day, it just stopped working. When we try logging in, it displays an error message - Something went wrong.

But I am able to use my wife's login credentials with no issues on the Ola app my Mi3, so clearly it is a handset issue and not an app issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times but same error all through.

I have avast antivirus installed so did a full scan and nothing came up here too. Safe mode boot did not throw any issues too.
I have ola app in my gen1 moto g. No issues whatsoever. I don't have any anti viruses installed. Try disabling it.
Old 19th March 2015, 19:06   #20943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Did you clear app data between uninstall/re-install? Most apps retain data/settings, and if your issue was caused by bad data, it's possible that the re-installed app is still referencing the same bad data-set. I was having trouble with G-Maps (kept crashing without any real error description), clearing app data set it right.

Clear app data both in app manager and delete any leftover folders manually after uninstalling (using your file manager), then re-install. Worth a try.
Old 19th March 2015, 19:10   #20944
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
I don't have any anti viruses installed. Try disabling it.
Apart from disabling anti virus (rather I believe there is no need of anti virus in Linux base systems unless some suspicious websites are visited frequently or infected data is accessed in the phone) also try to clean the cache and data of the OLA app from 'app info'.
Old 20th March 2015, 13:41   #20945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Got a screenshot to share? That would help us diagnose better.
Old 20th March 2015, 14:14   #20946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have uninstalled and re-installed the app multiple times but same error all through.

You can also try enabling GPS/ location reporting before starting the Ola app. It hangs sometimes on my Moto G 1st gen, either because the GPS is not on, or data is not working.
Old 20th March 2015, 16:16   #20947
BHPian

Have been reading mixed reviews on the Lollipop update on Moto G2! I've been holding onto updating for a while, but the update alert which springs up 3-4 times a day is getting really annoying!

What is the public opinion on this? Should I or should I not go ahead? I have no complaints with the 4.4.4 I'm running now. If not, how can I stop these update alerts from popping up!?
Old 20th March 2015, 16:40   #20948
BHPian

Re: Ola app. Be cautious with this app. Their end-to-end security is apparently appalling: https://medium.com/@CodeTheDevil/bus...t-1ceea6174b1f
Old 21st March 2015, 09:42   #20949
BHPian

Unofficial CM12 by syhost for Redmi 1S (armani) is up now. He has fixed both RIL and camera bugs! Smooth and fresh! Mac address bug still there but wifi is working though.
Old 21st March 2015, 09:50   #20950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Have been reading mixed reviews on the Lollipop update on Moto G2! I've been holding onto updating for a while, but the update alert which springs up 3-4 times a day is getting really annoying!

What is the public opinion on this? Should I or should I not go ahead? I have no complaints with the 4.4.4 I'm running now. If not, how can I stop these update alerts from popping up!?
If you are satisfied with 4.4.4, please do stay with it. I updated and it became laggy. I need to remove certain apps related to system and battery. It's better now but not as smooth as 4.4.4. If you want to disable update notifications, root is required.
Old 21st March 2015, 17:35   #20951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Stay on Kitkat. The only harmless upgrade i have experienced was on my wife's S4. Otherwise all the Nexus & Moto devices have suffered after 5.0 upgrade.

Or wait for 5.1 upgrade. That seems to have fixed major issues.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 21st March 2015 at 17:36.
Old 21st March 2015, 18:27   #20952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Stay on Kitkat. The only harmless upgrade i have experienced was on my wife's S4. Otherwise all the Nexus & Moto devices have suffered after 5.0 upgrade.
Oh wait a minute, I have been running 5.0 on my Moto X2 since January first week and haven't encountered any issue so far, even never experienced the famous memory leak bug so far. Rather MotoX also got one touch WiFi and BT on/off switches in quick setting panel which are supposed to come in 5.1.

But then I believe in clean installation thus I performed factory reset before and after the firmware upgrade and will do the same for future upgrades as well.

I feel the Motorola devices are the most smoother running devices after the otherwise buggy Lollipop firmware upgrades. The issues are more prominent in the previous generation Nexus devices.

Motorola itself is putting lot of efforts in polishing their Lollipop ROMs and to make them least buggy, thats the one reason this time they took little more time in releasing the Lollipop firmware upgrade for all of their devices compared to the last time when they were quickest in releasing the Kitkat upgrades. Lollipop is completely different from previous Android versions. Biggest turnaround is switching onto ART runtime from old Dalvik and that completely changes the memory management. Performing a factory reset before and after upgrading to firmware is always a better idea.

Memory leak issue hasn't been fixed in the recently released 5.1 also. Though Google claimed that the issue has been internally fixed and the fix will be released later, maybe its going to be something like 5.1.1 or a small patch. So wait for a proper Lollipop version is still on.

If one is okay with Kitkat then its better to stay with kitkat for a while due to some performance related issues like memory leak etc which may occur on random devices.

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_fixed...news-11553.php

http://www.digit.in/mobile-phones/go...lly-25551.html

Last edited by tbppjpr : 21st March 2015 at 18:41.
Old 21st March 2015, 19:03   #20953
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
1) Nexus 6
2) LG G3 (or wait for G4 coming in April)
3) Note 4
4) Sony Z3

Or quit Android and get iPhone 6 (not 6 plus).
No Android fan as such, but anyways...

If you like the Nexus, go for it. Have been using the Nexus 5 and save for Chrome malfunctioning (6 months ago) nothing has gone wrong. Android experience is the best IMHO.

No experience with G4, but whoever is using G3 in my circle, is satisfied, though not very excited. IMO, UI is better than Sony Xperia Z.

If you want the stylus, get the Edge (price of both, Note 4 & Edge has been reduced). As far as Samsung goes, I will buy only Note series from their range of phones.

No idea of phone in Sony range over Z, but somehow don't like the experience much (personal, prefer Sony's IHE [in home entertainment ] over similar priced stuff)
Old 21st March 2015, 21:21   #20954
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a question about the Android PC dongles, which connect to the tvs Hdmi port.
Do they offer a similar level of functionality as an equal configuration tablet?
And if so, any suggestions on the spec to go for?
Old 22nd March 2015, 16:59   #20955
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for their inputs.

So Nexus 6 it is then. Considering big screen, boatware free system, first in line to get Android updates, slightly better price in comparison to its direct competitors, very good battery (on paper at least), not a bad camers at all (not a disaster like HTC One M8), and few more points.

Fixed memory, 1080p screen, not THE best camera in market and few more shortcomings are there, but i think i can live with those.

I am getting about 12k for my Note-2, which seems to be good price. What say mates?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks