Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2019, 15:12   #28441
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Is it possible to source original battery for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3? The service centres here are quoting Rs 1400 for the same including the fitting charges.

I dont know whether it is normal charges or not, but for me it looks like quite high considering the value of the mobile itself.

Any reliable alternate solutions other than the original battery are also appreciated.
Old 21st February 2019, 17:08   #28442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
Is it possible to source original battery for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3? The service centres here are quoting Rs 1400 for the same including the fitting charges.

I dont know whether it is normal charges or not, but for me it looks like quite high considering the value of the mobile itself.

Any reliable alternate solutions other than the original battery are also appreciated.

I guess note 3 came with 4000mah battery and the cost seems reasonable for the original battery. Duplicate batteries retail for 700+ and will not have half the rated capacity.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:53   #28443
BHPian

Note 3 came with a 3200 mAh battery. Duplicates advertise the same battery capacity but they will never provide battery backup which is close enough to original.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:48   #28444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

But the biggest unveil of the day was the phone Galaxy Fold
It has a 4+" screen on the outside with a single lens selfie camera, a 3 lens rear camera like the S10 series, and when opened, it has a 7.4" screen inside and 2 lens selfie camera. Making it a total of 6 lenses
512GB non expandable memory, 2 batteries totaling to around 4300mah. As expected it is one expensive phone. It'll retail only in the US from April 2019 for a price of $1980!
It is quite an hardware achievement bringing out that foldable screen. Well done, Samsung.

However it may not find much use and sales as it is now. To think of it, standard phone sizes have become around 6.3 inches; what additional can you do with a 1" extra?

I would prefer a 5.5 - 6" outer screen, and 10-11" inner folded screen. That way both the uses of a smart phone and as a laptop replacement (for some serious work) is fulfilled.

Maybe the current iteration would serve as a technology demonstrator, and Samsung could bring a bigger foldable phone in a couple of years.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:14   #28445
BHPian

The Nokia Communicators were very futuristic, considering the current trend moving to foldables. That being said, I would like a Nokia 3310 sized main device with a foldable as a continuity device, that can be carried in a holster and used when the need arises. On weekends, ditch the foldable and carry the tiny phone.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:42   #28446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It could be technology marvel, but I would wait and watch on how this thing with catch-up. During the days of standard touchpad phones, we had folding phones which made it bigger (albeit a bit shorter) bricks; an exception to this was the Moto Razr.
This will really work if the progression is something like, say this device will replace phone and work laptop. Or if they manage to make it wafer thin, so that even when folded it is as thin as a standard S10 or Note 9. Currently it looks like two smartphones stacked.

Coming to the S10, it definitely looks good, but I am actually looking forward to the next iteration of the Note series, probably with 5G as standard(?).
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:54   #28447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I would prefer a 5.5 - 6" outer screen, and 10-11" inner folded screen. That way both the uses of a smart phone and as a laptop replacement (for some serious work) is fulfilled.
5.5" to 6" is also big for regular necessity IMO. 5" or below is enough.
Quote:
Maybe the current iteration would serve as a technology demonstrator, and Samsung could bring a bigger foldable phone in a couple of years.
Correct, I feel the same too. Now this is 4.5" and 7.5". if it is well received, the bezels on the folded version will get thinner, taking it to the 5.5" - 6" that you mentioned and the inside one will grow bigger to 10" - 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
The Nokia Communicators were very futuristic, considering the current trend moving to foldables. That being said, I would like a Nokia 3310 sized main device with a foldable as a continuity device, that can be carried in a holster and used when the need arises. On weekends, ditch the foldable and carry the tiny phone.
Very nice idea and one of the many possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
if they manage to make it wafer thin, so that even when folded it is as thin as a standard S10 or Note 9. Currently it looks like two smartphones stacked.
True, they are limited by the radius of the screen fold now. as technology develops, this should reduce IMO.

Coming to the prices in India...Whoa, really expensive!!!

S10e 128GB+6GB 55,900
S10 128GB+8GB 66,900
S10 512GB+8GB 84,900
S10+ 128GB+8GB 73,900
S10+ 512GB+8GB 91,900
S10+ 1TB+12GB 117,900

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd February 2019 at 11:57.
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:42   #28448
Senior - BHPian

Any idea when the Blackberry Key3 will be launched? Except the ones floating the internet.
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:48   #28449
Senior - BHPian

The Galaxy S10 is coming to India on March 8th, priced at 71K and currently pre-launch offers are open. Samsung is giving 4K discount plus 6K cashback on HDFC cards (effective price 61K) and also no-cost EMI options. ALong with these, galaxy buds woth 10K are available ar 3K. I think these are very good pre-launch offers and I have decided to take the plunge.

I am still deciding between S10 and S10E and the color options. WIll most probably go for the S10 Blue variant
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:01   #28450
BANNED

Quote:
Samsung has launched their new smartphones yesterday. 3 variants - S10e, S10, S10+ much like the iphone variants. S10e is the less expensive variant and S10+ being the most expensive of the 3.

I have no idea when it'll arrive in India. But I expect it to arrive soon.

Unfortunately the 5G version is only coming next year. I will hold my horses till that is seen. We seem to be heading for 5G so why not wait. Otherwise you have a 4G with 5G available.

ZDNet also gives the same advice.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th February 2019 at 07:44. Reason: Trimmed quoted text
Old 23rd February 2019, 14:23   #28451
Senior - BHPian

I use a nifty tool called NetSpeed that shows the current internet speed on the top bar of Android. I later installed a tool called 'Fast', but realized it was showing completely unrealistic net speeds like 8-9MBPS in places where I know even 10-15kbps would be hard to come by, so I uninstalled it. But later, even the NetSpeed app shows such wrong speed only!

I tried with other similar apps, but it seems every such app is now showing erroneous speeds. When checked on other Android where I have installed NetSpeed but not 'Fast' app, the speeds are correct.

What would be the problem that is causing my net speed to show such wrong amounts in all apps? Idiotic Fast app by netflix broke this tool :(
Old 23rd February 2019, 22:51   #28452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
S10e 128GB+6GB 55,900
S10 128GB+8GB 66,900
S10 512GB+8GB 84,900
S10+ 128GB+8GB 73,900
S10+ 512GB+8GB 91,900
S10+ 1TB+12GB 117,900
I have pre-booked the S10+ (512GB, 8GB RAM).

I was initially looking at the S10+ 128/8 but the Rs 15,000/- Exchange Offer on the higher variant is tempting. (128/8 has 6K Exchange)

Planning to exchange my OnePlus 5T and finalising the deal at 62K and picking up the Galaxy Watch at Rs 9,999/- thereafter.
Old 24th February 2019, 08:16   #28453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I later installed a tool called 'Fast', but realized it was showing completely unrealistic net speeds like 8-9MBPS in places where I know even 10-15kbps would be hard to come by, so I uninstalled it.
I took a look at this Fast by Netflix. Seems like a nifty app with a million+ installs and a high (4.4) rating. Not adware, not trackware, not spyware either. I installed it to check my own speed; and what it showed is comparable with other similar services (I checked Ookla Speedtest, a personal Iperf installation and a semi-public service my company offers to our customers).

You don't elaborate why your expectation is only 10-15 kbps.

Quote:
I use a nifty tool called NetSpeed that shows the current internet speed on the top bar of Android.
I tried to take a look at this NetSpeed too, but there are several on the Play Store so I gave up since I didn't know which one you are referring to. Most of them (the ones with notifications) seem to be displaying the actual bandwidth used. That is, you could be taking a 20 Mbps link from your ISP but is using only about 1 Mbps. Then Fast would display 20 Mbps and Netspeed, 1 Mbps. Both are right, and both these outputs are to be used for different kinds of decision making.

Quote:
But later, even the NetSpeed app shows such wrong speed only!

I tried with other similar apps, but it seems every such app is now showing erroneous speeds.
Instead of assuming all the world is reporting wrong numbers, can we once try with the assumption that all these apps are right and your expectation is wrong?
Old 24th February 2019, 20:51   #28454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post

I would suggest, buying a new phone, use the battery money as down-payment. And invest in a new phone.
I have used Xiaomi since Mi3 and they are durable, but still say, buy a new sub 8000/- phone.
Old 24th February 2019, 22:24   #28455
Senior - BHPian

Guys, kindly suggest me a new Android phone for my wife.
Budget is in the range of 15 - 25k. She is using Redmi note 4 right now which has become a bit sluggish.
Requirements are -
At least 6gb ram and 4000mah battery. 5.5 inch minimum size and up to 6.3 inch.

Current considerations are Poco F1, upcoming Redmi note 7, Samsung A50. Please suggest among these or any new ones coming within a month time.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks