Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2015, 13:13   #20926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is the ISO and shutter speed of this picture? iPhone and other newer phones might be better for this scenario if they have a better sensor and can bump up the ISO (hence the shutter speed).

This scene would be a challenge for even bigger sensor of mid-range DSLRs, a different phone might or might no do significantly better.

OIS will obviously be useless here.
Interesting - thanks.

F2.6, 1/15s, center weighted, no flash.

At another party (indoor, no flash), parents with iPhones were getting better photos. Heck I shot a couple of usable photos of my son with a borrowed iPhone5! The iPhone is very quick to first photo and subsequent photos as well.

Reg OIS, again, I get sharper photos of my kid with my friend's N5 whenever we meet, than by the OPO or S3. Hence my lust for N5!

The OPO's stock camera app should just be deleted - its that crappy for shooting kids, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I don't have a kid myself, but my almost 4-yr old niece is no different, and it's almost impossible to get a good posed pic. We've just made peace with the fact that we'll have to make do with candid shots taken on the sly until she grows older and honestly, lack of pictures is a small price to pay compared to throttling an active kid's enthusiasm. You just need to work around it.
Thanks! But you can see the other kid posing nicely while my son doesnt! The other kid's mother gets better results from a Lumia 520!

I saw a friend's photos of his 2 year old - the 1020 takes photos of his son jumping around in the pool, splashing water. Not SLR level sharp but awesome all the same. Guess I should head over to Quikr now then

Last edited by phamilyman : 18th March 2015 at 13:14.
Old 18th March 2015, 13:44   #20927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
F2.6, 1/15s, center weighted, no flash. At another party (indoor, no flash), parents with iPhones were getting better photos. Heck I shot a couple of usable photos of my son with a borrowed iPhone5!
1/15s is way too slow. Would be great if you could post ISO for this photo as well as Shutter Speed + ISO of iPhone's photo.

iPhone seems to be doing something better. I guess iPhone is bumping up the ISO and has a better sensor that enables the higher ISO.

Quote:
Reg OIS, again, I get sharper photos of my kid with my friend's N5 whenever we meet, than by the OPO or S3. Hence my lust for N5!

Thanks! But you can see the other kid posing nicely while my son doesnt!
I was wrong about OIS earlier, OIS does help at 1/15s. I though shutter speed would be 1/200 or so. Out of all these phones, only Lumia and N5 have OIS.

OIS would have helped with better picture of Kid that is posing.
Old 18th March 2015, 15:40   #20928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
1/15s is way too slow. Would be great if you could post ISO for this photo as well as Shutter Speed + ISO of iPhone's photo.

iPhone seems to be doing something better. I guess iPhone is bumping up the ISO and has a better sensor that enables the higher ISO.

I was wrong about OIS earlier, OIS does help at 1/15s. I though shutter speed would be 1/200 or so. Out of all these phones, only Lumia and N5 have OIS.

OIS would have helped with better picture of Kid that is posing.
I dont have that other photo's details - it came as a whatsapp image without the EXIF for some reason. My photos' ISO was 187 and 475 !?!

But my confusion is - OIS helps when there's camera shake or when the subject is in motion (kids!)? I thought it helped you go slower without shake, but in this case, 1/15 was good enough for an acceptable photo of the other kid, not mine. Not sure OIS can help there - though all said, N5 takes less blurry photos of my kid, I don't know why. Same clueless operator, mind you!
Old 18th March 2015, 15:53   #20929
BHPian

I bought a MotoG from Flipkart on 17th March 2014. Received it on 19th March. If I have to claim warranty, will the invoice date apply or the date I received?
Old 18th March 2015, 16:10   #20930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But my confusion is - OIS helps when there's camera shake or when the subject is in motion (kids!)? I thought it helped you go slower without shake, but in this case, 1/15 was good enough for an acceptable photo of the other kid, not mine. Not sure OIS can help there
OIS helps with camera shake. It can't help much if the subject is moving.

Quote:
N5 takes less blurry photos of my kid, I don't know why.
I think that all that matters. With EXIF of better photos, we can take a guess at reason.

At 1/15 second Kids's eyes are bit blurred (could be due to camera shake, or Kids might have moved a bit). N5's OIS can help with camera shake and if camera software could have bumped up ISO + shutter speed than that could have helped with Kid's movement.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:23   #20931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.......less blurry photos of my kid.......
Non-technical advice and ignore if already tried and discarded, but have you considered using the 'subject in motion' scene mode on the phone camera? I believe it's called 'Sport' or some such on most devices. No great shakes (pun unintended) but helps capture relatively less blurry pictures in such scenarios.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th March 2015 at 16:25.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:43   #20932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I bought a MotoG from Flipkart on 17th March 2014. Received it on 19th March. If I have to claim warranty, will the invoice date apply or the date I received?
Invoice date. Got it clarified when we gave a friend's Moto E for screen replacement a couple of months ago.
Old 19th March 2015, 09:02   #20933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Invoice date. Got it clarified when we gave a friend's Moto E for screen replacement a couple of months ago.
Thank you.

I guess I'll go ahead with Redmi2 then. The wait for Moto G official firmware is taking too long. That's the only thing that'd fix my bricked phone.

Any comments on the Redmi2? We own a Redmi1s and a Redmi Note in the family already,and no complains there.
Old 19th March 2015, 09:09   #20934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Thank you.

I guess I'll go ahead with Redmi2 then. The wait for Moto G official firmware is taking too long. That's the only thing that'd fix my bricked phone.

Any comments on the Redmi2? We own a Redmi1s and a Redmi Note in the family already,and no complains there.
Wait for the 16GB version. It comes with 2GB RAM.

Other than that,nothing much has changed over the 1S, I guess.
Old 19th March 2015, 13:42   #20935
Senior - BHPian

Android fans. Please help choose between the following options:

1) Nexus 6
2) LG G3 (or wait for G4 coming in April)
3) Note 4
4) Sony Z3

Or quit Android and get iPhone 6 (not 6 plus).

I have heard and seen quite a few issues with Sony handsets, so not confident to enter the Sony world.
Old 19th March 2015, 14:47   #20936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

I have heard and seen quite a few issues with Sony handsets, so not confident to enter the Sony world.
I've been using the Sony Z3 since launch and I can vouch its performance has been stellar. Been a Samsung guy all this while and with the Galaxy S4 I realised enough is enough with all their bloatware and rubbish they load on your phone. Haven't regretted since.

I can't begin to talk about the convenience of waterproof and dustproof capabilities. Rain or shine, even at home when managing my toddler in the shower, attending calls are no problem. I give my Z3 a nice wash in the shower once in a while when its dirty. OK I was kidding, never had the nerve to do it yet although many have. Haven't had any bugs or problems whatsoever (quite frequent on my old S4) and their minimalist approach ensures there's not much of bloatware. There are some, but totally negligible if you're coming from the Samsung camp.

I'm not marketing this phone for you. Just giving you a real life use case review to show it's not as bad as you've read elsewhere. Cheers on your purchase!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 19th March 2015 at 14:50.
Old 19th March 2015, 15:25   #20937
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1) Nexus 6
3) Note 4
4) Sony Z3

I am pretty new to the Android world (except for the brief stint with Note 2), and am quite happy with the LG G3 experience; this is after going through generations of iPhone starting from 3GS to 5S. So naturally, I would recommend having a look at the G3, or the G4 when it comes through in April/May. For my usage the battery is not that great (lasts just around the same as the iPhone 5S), but otherwise it’s a brilliant package.

The idea was to give the G3 to my wife and get an iPhone 6 when my contract is up next month, but by the look of it, I probably will keep the LG and pass on the iPhone to her
Old 19th March 2015, 17:35   #20938
BHPian

Quote:

1) Nexus 6
3) Note 4
4) Sony Z3

Why not get the One M9, One M8, S6 or even the Moto X 2014?

Moto X 2014 runs near close to stock Android and the reviews are impressive. I have been using the One M8 for a year now and I am already impressed.

Samsung loads Touchwiz which I personally hate hence I do not recommend Samsung phones.
Old 19th March 2015, 18:37   #20939
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, this is what HTC does in US:
http://www.htc.com/us/uh-oh-protection/

India will never get it, even though they launch phones here at similar prices!
Old 19th March 2015, 18:48   #20940
BHPian

^ Nothing new, Other local companies have been doing this at there since long time.
https://motorola-global-portal.custh...JZTWlmY0lobSJ9

Mobile insurance covers are available in India for a very affordable premium:
http://newindia.co.in/Content.aspx?pageid=57

AFAIK Yureka Yu comes with some sort of such damage protection plan in India and some other phones as well:
http://micromaxcanvas.co.in/mmx-phon...ity-apps-pack/

Last edited by tbppjpr : 19th March 2015 at 18:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks