Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2015, 03:34   #21076
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Ok, this falls into my professional domain (IP telephony). Even though you both were in the same local network, the media gateway/proxy is remote. Unless Whatapp enables a feature called IP shuffing, your call will go all the way to the whatapp server and come back. It is not some crazy routing, but very normal routing for a VOIP call. Unless the media gateway has direct visibility to the endpoints (your devices), it can't use IP shuffing. Since your devices were behind your home router, the calls will be routing via whatsapp media gateway.
Yes, understood/assumed that the calls go via the Whatsapp server, wherever that happens to be, even if the callers are sitting next to each other. What I really meant, badly expressed, by "crazy routing" was one or more of the devices doing something like using 2G mobile network instead of wifi. Really, though, that would not have happened because, although I do occasionally forget to turn it off, I only enable mobile data on my phone when I need to use it for a few minutes; I have no data plan for the phone.

It was actually bad enough to be broken: just a stuttering noise.
Old 4th April 2015, 08:23   #21077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You must be a preferred magna carta platinum customer or something. Most areas I'm in Bangalore can barely hold 3G signal consistently, forget 4G.
I tried it on the office network with another colleague on wifi and it worked OK.
No Magna Carta here

My erstwhile Galaxy S2 always tried to downgrade and connect to the strongest signal - meaning, if 2G and 3G were both available and the 3G signal was relatively weak, the phone would fall back into 2G mode!

On my Galaxy S5 LTE, it's quite the opposite! It holds on to the highest (not strongest) signal to the extent possible, i.e. If there is a weak LTE signal and relatively strong 3G/2G signals, it would continue on LTE network until it almost became impossible to function, then switch over to the 3G network.

If even this (3G) signal becomes weak, it falls-back to EDGE as a last resort!

I cannot fathom the reason why this particular sequence of network selection occurs (good antenna / Snapdragon processor), but it sure works in my favor, with those blazing upload/download speeds!

And I'm sure, THIS is precisely the way anybody would want it to work!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 4th April 2015 at 08:26.
Old 4th April 2015, 09:09   #21078
BHPian

Looking for a 3G enabled tablet for under 10K for mum. What would you recommend? Ideally, the device would have an 8" screen, but 7" should be just OK.

I'm comparing the Huawei T1 and the HP Slate 7 Voicetab, but if there are hidden gems in the market, I would want to take a look at those too.

EDIT: It would be nice to have a tablet with a large battery.

Last edited by hellmet : 4th April 2015 at 09:36.
Old 4th April 2015, 10:05   #21079
BANNED

It seems that Voda speeds have improved dramatically. Yesterday, my Den connection packed up so I went over to Mobile Data (I have 3G). I am in a fringe area but was amazed to see 5Mbps download and 2Mbps upload on Speedtest.
Old 4th April 2015, 11:07   #21080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I got the 5.1 update on my Nexus 5 two days ago and the phone's become a wee-bit faster since the update. Lag that was present with the 5.0 update is now gone.
And my experience is just the opposite. Copied from Nexus Help forum.

Quote:
I had a dream run with my Nexus 5 for the past 15-16 months and I absolutely had no issues, but with the 5.1 upgrade, my phone resembles a Samsung budget phone now. Phone is laggy, it freezes, applications don't open or close. Password protected apps open & a password is asked for sometimes (at least 10 seconds later). WiFi to Data connection isn't seamless. It takes a bit of time. In short, it has become the opposite of what it is. And for the first time, yesterday, my phone restarted on its own.

Any tips, suggestions or I got to wait out for the 5.1.1 or whatever?
Old 4th April 2015, 12:13   #21081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Looking for a 3G enabled tablet for under 10K for mum. What would you recommend? Ideally, the device would have an 8" screen, but 7" should be just OK.

I'm comparing the Huawei T1 and the HP Slate 7 Voicetab, but if there are hidden gems in the market, I would want to take a look at those too.

EDIT: It would be nice to have a tablet with a large battery.
Hi there I was in a similar situation as you, we bought the Dell 7 Venue tablet. It has a great battery, will last 2 days with moderate use. It has voice calling but you will either have to use headphones or speaker to make and receive voice calls. The screen is not the best, as the colours appear a little dull. But I think due to this, it does not drain the battery too much. I use it for business use so dont really care for screen colours too much.

Overall I am very happy with the tab except for 1 big issue. It comes with 1GB ram with almost 500-600mb used up with preloaded apps and OS. That is the only complaint I have of this tab. Once you load the usual social sites like viber whatsapp fb etc your RAM is almost full and there isn't much room for too many other extra apps.

Apart from the RAM and the dull screen we are very satisfied with the tab.
If your mom will only require for socializing then a good option.
Old 4th April 2015, 12:14   #21082
Team-BHP Support

Any suggestions on a good free app to monitor data usage?
Old 4th April 2015, 12:29   #21083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I use Internet speed meter and am happy with it. No frills app.
Old 4th April 2015, 13:31   #21084
BHPian

Hi people. I just upgraded to 5.0.2 on my HTC One M7 this morning. Now I've noticed two apps in my menu namely 'Clean Master' and 'News and Weather'. Im not actally bothered about the news app but I'm vary of the Cleanmaster thingie because I never install such apps on my phone. My confusion is that did these apps get installed as part of Lollipop or did they get installed in rogue manner along with some recent app install that I did? Anyone noticed this? I don't usually access my Menu as I only use the shortcuts I make myself so this went unnoticed. Help.
Old 4th April 2015, 13:47   #21085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi there I was in a similar situation as you, we bought the Dell 7 Venue tablet. It has a great battery, will last 2 days with moderate use. It has voice calling but you will either have to use headphones or speaker to make and receive voice calls. The screen is not the best, as the colours appear a little dull. But I think due to this, it does not drain the battery too much. I use it for business use so dont really care for screen colours too much.

Overall I am very happy with the tab except for 1 big issue. It comes with 1GB ram with almost 500-600mb used up with preloaded apps and OS. That is the only complaint I have of this tab. Once you load the usual social sites like viber whatsapp fb etc your RAM is almost full and there isn't much room for too many other extra apps.

Apart from the RAM and the dull screen we are very satisfied with the tab.
If your mom will only require for socializing then a good option.
Thanks. The main purpose is for internet browsing and social usage so we wouldn't be using the tab for calling at all. The 3G would be for internet connectivity only.

How would you compare the Dell Venue 7 with, say, the Nexus 7? Equal or better, overall? I already own a Nexus 7 myself (non 3G, though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Try "Balance Inbox". I find it to be a great app. Only works on prepaid, though.
Old 5th April 2015, 12:26   #21086
BHPian

Hello everyone. Has anybody used SD maid PRO on their rooted android? This is the best app and directory cleaner for android and does a fab job of removing unwanted data such as advertisement data of various apps (eg BBM, Tango etc).

Ive used clean master and it loaded more data onto my android than cleaning it. And yes UC browser is not safe to use as I read from a few forums.
Old 5th April 2015, 13:30   #21087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody used SD maid PRO on their rooted android?
After taxis and autos, I'm thinking that now domestic staff can be called with an app.

Quote:
This is the best app and directory cleaner for android and does a fab job of removing unwanted data such as advertisement data of various apps (eg BBM, Tango etc).
Oh. Silly me!

Old 5th April 2015, 14:06   #21088
BHPian

You should try it though.. in fact all android users must.. it cleans them taxi and auto calling apps leftovers very effectively and makes android feel slick like iOS sometimes
Old 5th April 2015, 14:42   #21089
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just upgraded my htc Sprint One (m7) to 6.23.651.6. The download was 312.0MB. Went Uber smooth and the installation took about half an hour (they stated about 45 minutes). Android is still 5.0.2 and Sense 6.0. No software or settings lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Hi people. I just upgraded to 5.0.2 on my HTC One M7 this morning. Now I've noticed two apps in my menu namely 'Clean Master' and 'News and Weather'.
I have been using Clean master for quite some time. It is fine, but I do not let it go extreme.

Also, I ran the App Update, and found a lot of htc stuff waiting for me. So I downloaded it applied it. Phone continues to be smooth.
Old 5th April 2015, 22:22   #21090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
Clear the cache and all the data related to the Google play services then add a credit or debit card of the country you are in and proceed till the registration. It will switch.
Finally gave this a shot to check if Android recognises am in India. But after charging me INR 50 for registering my Indian credit card, Play store still shows all amounts in USD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks