Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:33   #21166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
It is strictly not 18 months. But in general, Apple updates its devices faster and supports them for a longer period than nexus.
But at least for the Android mobiles - dev support is really good - especially for Nexus devices. I can hack and put on my own ROM etc. Apple?
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:35   #21167
Team-BHP Support

During my first Android venture (2011-2013), I kept upgrading the custom rom every 3-4 months. It was like getting new phone everytime I changed rom. WinPhone/iPhone don't give that.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:35   #21168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But at least for the Android mobiles - dev support is really good - especially for Nexus devices. I can hack and put on my own ROM etc. Apple?
Custom ROMs are good only for a bit of flashing fun. The camera is bad, audio is mediocre, and even the STABLE builds are full of bugs. It is better to retain the stock ROM and remove/disable useless stuff than go the custom ROM way.
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:16   #21169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post

Custom ROMs are good only for a bit of flashing fun. The camera is bad, audio is mediocre, and even the STABLE builds are full of bugs. It is better to retain the stock ROM and remove/disable useless stuff than go the custom ROM way.
You've got to pick your roms. And when Sony doesn't plan to release kitkat for the ion, how else do you plan on getting it?
In my experience, no amount of disabling on a stock rom, or even flashing debloated stock came close to the speed and usability of slim for the ion, camera audio or any aspect.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:04   #21170
Distinguished - BHPian

It's the pony story again, fifty-five years later.

I was telling a lady friend of mine, that I was not particularly into horses, but, being a horse lover herself, my mum got one for me. Her response was, "Oh My God... I dreamt of having a pony, and you get one forced on you! Life is so unfair."*

Well, I don't dream of upgrades, and I'm not terribly happy with the KitKat one that I got, and Asus have another one lined up waiting for me to push the button.

Unless it it brings improvements or features I really want: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

*offtopic: the pony, very good on the roads, turned out to be vicious at home, and we didn't keep it. And I could never work out why, if she was so keen, my mother didn't buy herself a horse!
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:12   #21171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You've got to pick your roms.
Well, I disagree. Custom ROMs are much more than that. Many good ROMs bring in a whole set of functionality and I have used ROMs that were very stable - with no bugs at all, improving battery life etc. Rooting is great but installing a good custom ROM is even better.

Like Mayankk says - choose your ROM wisely
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:27   #21172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well, I disagree. Custom ROMs are much more than that. Many good ROMs bring in a whole set of functionality and I have used ROMs that were very stable - with no bugs at all, improving battery life etc. Rooting is great but installing a good custom ROM is even better.

Like Mayankk says - choose your ROM wisely
Well, I think where we differ is only on whether custom ROMs have bugs or not. My experience with cyanogenmod in my S3 is that it has bugs. Even CM11S were full of bugs. I have tried Omnirom, PA Android, MIUI etc and they all came with a lot of bugs. Much more than what a stock ROM come with.

But, that is not the main gripe. Yes, we would like our phones to be fast, but you can't sacrifice on the strengths of the device just for speed and fluidity. S3 has a decent camera. Put a custom ROM and the quality deteriorates. The S3 plays music well in stock form. Put a custom ROM, and the clarity, bass etc deteriorates.

Can't blame the custom ROM developers. They don't have the driver libraries that Samsung use. Custom ROMS use some generic driver calls that just works.

True, custom ROMs can increase the usable life of a phone. But after experimenting custom ROMs on my S3, I flashed an old stock ROM, disabled a few apps, and it works beautifully. Lot better than the custom ROM world.
Old 23rd April 2015, 07:20   #21173
BHPian

What just happened to my z3 compact? Would a factory reset fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1429753802924.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2015, 19:49   #21174
Senior - BHPian

I updated my Nexus 4 to Lollipop 5.1 today morning and since then my phone is unreachable to any caller and I can't make any calls either. I dial a number or select a contact and without dialing the dialer ends the call.

Google ain't helping much, anybody here got a clue?
Old 23rd April 2015, 20:06   #21175
Senior - BHPian

Old nexus 4/5 and lollipop are just so not married to each other. My wifes Nexus after lollipop updates has become battery eating monster and we need to charge it twice everyday to survive.

I am thinking of ways to get back to Kitkat and make it last longer for the day
Old 24th April 2015, 04:01   #21176
BHPian

Hello everyone,
Need your help in choosing the right phone.
Have a budget of 20k and I've shortlisted 2 phones which fits my budget and has good specs too.
Specs which I need: Good camera(both front and back), Decent battery backup, lag free running even after 1.5yrs.

1. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo
2. HTC Desire 820s

Don't want to buy a phone which has less than 2GB RAM. The Note 3 Neo is surely outdated but has mind blowing specs. It was initially launched at 33k INR. But now, it is being sold in Flipkart and Snapdeal for 19.5k INR. It has a 3100Mah battery so I guess it'll last long. I've actually chosen the Note 3 Neo over the Desire 820s. But I need some reviews from people who have used it.
It would be very helpful if anyone can share their views on the Note 3.
Old 24th April 2015, 06:08   #21177
BHPian

You must not mention lag free and Samsung in the same post. Samsung can be anything but lag free. I would recommend the HTC any day. Why don't you look at Asus Zen Phone 2?
Old 24th April 2015, 14:56   #21178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
You must not mention lag free and Samsung in the same post. Samsung can be anything but lag free. I would recommend the HTC any day. Why don't you look at Asus Zen Phone 2?
Actually Sir, my friend has a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. He has been using it since the last 2.5yrs and I've used his phone. It doesn't show any sign of lagging. I guess Samsung phones with more than 2GB RAM doesn't lag.
Many of my relatives and friends have Asus Zenfone 5 and everyone complains about the battery backup. I'm worried about that particular thing in Zenfone 2.
Old 24th April 2015, 16:00   #21179
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Hello everyone,
Need your help in choosing the right phone.
Have a budget of 20k and I've shortlisted 2 phones which fits my budget and has good specs too.
Specs which I need: Good camera(both front and back), Decent battery backup, lag free running even after 1.5yrs.

1. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo
2. HTC Desire 820s

Don't want to buy a phone which has less than 2GB RAM. The Note 3 Neo is surely outdated but has mind blowing specs. It was initially launched at 33k INR. But now, it is being sold in Flipkart and Snapdeal for 19.5k INR. It has a 3100Mah battery so I guess it'll last long. I've actually chosen the Note 3 Neo over the Desire 820s. But I need some reviews from people who have used it.
It would be very helpful if anyone can share their views on the Note 3.
Have you considered the One Plus One?

That thing has got 3GB RAM.
Old 24th April 2015, 17:10   #21180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Have you considered the One Plus One?

That thing has got 3GB RAM.
Have checked it out. Didn't like it. It is indeed a good phone but I personally didn't like it. Plus it can only be ordered if one has an invite.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks