Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 16:48   #6166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I write that I use es file explorer. That won't work?

root explorer is paid? And how do I get te on ether phone to access the folder?
Not sure but have you tried clearing the data from the App. In most cases after upgrading it there have been issues with FC however a simple clear data has helped. Or you could try uninstalling the Maps completely and download again from the market. Had faced the same issue with Maps 5.8.
Also clean up "Google services framework" & navigation.

Last edited by Invinsible : 12th October 2011 at 16:50.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:55   #6167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
things to try.

try on a different system, create a new user profile in the system and then try. some other program in your system may be conflicting with KIES.

I have also found that, if you upgrade after you do a hard reset of the phone, it usually works.
Well i tried these options, but the upgrade does not show in KIES anymore. Can someone pls guide me on how to upgrade to GB by other means> Details pls.
Old 12th October 2011, 19:47   #6168
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP App for your Android Phone & Tablet

I have AirTel 2G Internet pack RC98 which is 2GB per month. Sometimes I get this attached dialogbox which is irritating, sometime I have to cancel 5-6 dialog boxes continuously to go to home page.

Is there way I can disable this?

Another note, did anybody tried 3G plans? Is it worth moving from 2G to 3G now?
Attached Images

Old 12th October 2011, 21:04   #6169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Guys, I cannot access the system folder on my rooted phone...I use es file explorer.

Any help?
ES has the capability to access system folders. Goto settings and enable the root explore option.
Old 12th October 2011, 21:40   #6170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
^^^ How to force stop network location?
No automatic way! I have to manually go and force close it in manage application in default launcher. This I will do every connect USB or switch on wifi.
Old 12th October 2011, 21:48   #6171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP App for your Android Phone & Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
Another note, did anybody tried 3G plans? Is it worth moving from 2G to 3G now?
Airtel 3G is amazing! I have been using it for quite sometime. This has been my speed always http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ection-18.html is not more.

Moreover being on Android, guess your phone should support Wireless tethering.... Then there is nothing like it. Just connect your lappy to the mobile hotspot and voila... you have a blazing fast internet connection!
Old 12th October 2011, 21:54   #6172
BHPian

Quote:
I write that I use es file explorer. That won't work?

root explorer is paid? And how do I get te on ether phone to access the folder?
Here's what you need to do:

(i) In ES File Explorer, go to Settings. Scroll down to Root Settings.
(ii) Check both Root Explorer and Mount File System.
(iii) Scroll up to Directory Settings.
(iv) Click on Home Directory, and enter only "/" without the quotes and click ok.
(v) Now, go back to the main screen and you should see the root directory.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any other details. I was struggling with the same last night but managed to figure it out. I wish the replies were a bit more detailed than just saying click this.
Old 13th October 2011, 04:17   #6173
Senior - BHPian

Is there an app for android which works like a keychain in mac?
Old 13th October 2011, 08:42   #6174
BANNED

S5570 (Samsung mini aka pop). Stock rom 2.4.5 (EU from samfirmware).

I had asked for a screenshot app few pages back. None were working fine. Now, I find that long pressing the middle and back buttons together and releasing, generates a screen capture.

My speaker problem is not yet resolved. It cropped up with mobo replacement after a hard brick. Upgrade to 2.4.4 and 2.4.5 did not help. Continuing with the silent phone for a few days more. Cannot afford to keep the phone at A/S S for another few days. Had taken it back to a.s.s. after mobo replacement. They kept me in confinement for 4 hours, and the speaker worked for precisely 2 calls.

Now, I notice that phone sounds / ringtones / touch tones do not work even through the headset. But otherwise, the phone is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
1. I want to have the official firmware aswell, just in case some fine day I want to go back to official firmware. I should be able to update through KIES at that stage..
Once rooted and modded, KIES will not help you. You need ODIN (or its equivalent for SGS) to flash the stock rom back. Make sure the stock ROM for your phone before hand.

Heimdall, available for both linux and windows, is a good replacement for ODIN. Not sure if that works for your phone though.

Quote:
2. I was reading through the guide as listed on Samsung Galaxy S II: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki there is no mention of rooting the device. Do I need to do? Kindly help me with this..
No need to root for updating stock ROMs. In flact, installing stock ROMs will de-root your phone.

Quote:
Guys, I cannot access the system folder on my rooted phone...I use es file explorer..
ES FE does have a root explorer, if the phone is rooted. You may need to "mount root system r/w" if want to write / modify / screw up your root files. No need for other jugaad for mere read only access. Search for the mount r/w apk on xda forum.

Quote:
I need this as I have installed google maps with navigation but the navigation force closes every time after a few minutes. I suspect that the original maps hasn't been completely removed from the system folder, hence I need access to it..
For heaven's sake, do not root access for this. SImply uninstall the "updates" from system settings > applications > <your app> and reinstall again.

Err... you may probably know better, and I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Es File explorer doesn't have root browsing capabilities. Unless you have a root explorer or a terminal emulator, you won't be able to see those files. And if you are using HTC, you need to change S-ON to S-OFF to make /system writable. Rooting alone won't do..
ES file explorer for my samsung has root browsing capability for rooted phones only.

So, the capabilities are (a) file browsing (b) browse system folders for rooted phones (c) write / modify system folders with the "mount system r/w" apk.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2011 at 16:07. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 13th October 2011, 08:57   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Here's what you need to do:

(i) In ES File Explorer, go to Settings. Scroll down to Root Settings.
(ii) Check both Root Explorer and Mount File System.
(iii) Scroll up to Directory Settings.
(iv) Click on Home Directory, and enter only "/" without the quotes and click ok.
(v) Now, go back to the main screen and you should see the root directory.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any other details. I was struggling with the same last night but managed to figure it out. I wish the replies were a bit more detailed than just saying click this.
Thanks Hellwrath - this worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
ES FE does have a root explorer, if the phone is rooted. You may need to "mount root system r/w" if want to write / modify / screw up your root files. No need for other jugaad for mere read only access. Search for the mount r/w apk on xda forum.
Done as per Hellwrath's post.

Quote:
For heaven's sake, do not root access for this. SImply uninstall the "updates" from system settings > applications > <your app> and reinstall again.
Let me check.

I have another doubt - the Google Maps (brut mod) force closes when I put the driving mode on with Voice commands - is that interfering in some way ?
Old 13th October 2011, 09:03   #6176
BANNED

Quote:
I have another doubt - the Google Maps (brut mod) force closes when I put the driving mode on with Voice commands - is that interfering in some way ?
The only solution for this is put the Media volume to "Mute" when doing navigation , no other workaround.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:29   #6177
BANNED

Droidcon India

This one is for the developers.

Saw this in a mailing list. I am not connected with the organisers though.

Droidcon India
Old 13th October 2011, 12:30   #6178
Senior - BHPian

You guys are able to see files in system/fonts, system/app and dalvik cache with Es file explorer with root browsing capabilities? I couldn't. I use miui's own file explorer for that.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th October 2011 at 12:33.
Old 13th October 2011, 13:03   #6179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
You guys are able to see files in system/fonts, system/app and dalvik cache with Es file explorer with root browsing capabilities? I couldn't. I use miui's own file explorer for that.
Yes, I can see the fonts and apps. I distinctly remember the davlik cache too
Old 13th October 2011, 14:11   #6180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Yes. Enabled root system browsing as mentioned earlier, and long press home in ES file explorer (without fiddling with the home directory) takes me to /. This way, for notmal use, I go to sdcard, and long press takes me to /.

But, where is the "dalvik" situated? I have /cache.

Edit: - I have even replaced the default droidsansfallback.ttf font with a font containing additional Indic fonts. This displays hindi and Malayalam (and other Indic languages too), without proper rendering though.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 13th October 2011 at 14:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks