Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 11:32   #6211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
all these stable roms have everything work cleanly, like wifi, bt, gps?
It's got to be Revolution Rom 2.7.1 with stock CF-root kernal 2
Tried most of the roms in last 3 months. The best battery life I got was Litening 4.1 & 4.2 however the OP has stopped further upgrade on the rom.
Revolution is excellent Rom everything works flawlessly. But it's rom based on Europe version KI3 as most Roms on xda forum are. GPS works fine but sometime locking takes time. If you face this issue with the rom you could install the KE7 modem which was released for India which also improves the service network.

There is major upgrade coming up from Revolution next week as the OP has tied up with CheckRom and "Revolution Checkrom" is expected on KI8.

If you are coming from another rom best way to install the Revolution Rom 2.7.1 is first take nandroid & titanium back up of the apps.
Do a full wipe, Clean the cache & dalvik Cache, battery stats. Also format the "System".
Download the stock 2.3.5 full wipe version from Intratech thread on XDA developrs and flash it.
Root the phone by flashing Cf-root kernal KI3 2 through ODIN.
Do a full wipe again, clear dalvik cache, batterystats, format system again and flash the Revolution Rom 2.7.1 after which flash the kernal Cf-root Ki3 2 kernal from Kitchen app as this kernal comes with superuser 3 settings.
Install titanium backup and install only App and not app-data. With games & personal info apps - App& data is fine. With all other apps it should be only App.

Revolution Rom is non wipe and in most cases people just clear the cache and dalvik cache and flash the rom. I did the same flashed the 2.7.1 over revolution 2.6 which was 2.3.4 AOS and got unusual battery drain, at night 4-6% battery loss. However flashed it again with the above method and the battery life is much more better, rock solid.
Achieved 10+ hrs with 2G data on at Standby at night and battery was still 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sc201110081124361a.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 15th October 2011 at 11:40.
Old 15th October 2011, 11:56   #6212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Samsung DIVE requires lot of patience...instead use some 3rd party application that will help.

Samsung DIVE is really slow and may not work most of the time.
Umm, is it ODIN proof? and immune to change of IMEI?

Because i bought theft aware and its no match for a full flash. Updated versions of the same ROM are okay - but a flash cleans off such softwares.

So i think - even to let a free version run is waste of CPU cycles.

dear invinsible - the point u're trying to make with the prev screenshot attachment of a plugged in phone's battery remaining at 100% is fairly invisible to me. please do make it

Last edited by phamilyman : 15th October 2011 at 12:01.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:11   #6213
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a reasonable Android phone between 10-15K? Primary requirement would be battery backup for voice and mail (Exchange server)

I use a BB Curve 8900 at present and the battery drains by afternoon if I don't use my landline for calls.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:12   #6214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
dear invinsible - the point u're trying to make with the prev screenshot attachment of a plugged in phone's battery remaining at 100% is fairly invisible to me. please do make it
There are most on this rom with running 3g, wifi at night with loss of just 1% in 8-9hours. Don't be surprised.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:23   #6215
Senior - BHPian

10 hour with zero loss of battery with 2G data on!!

I refuse to believe it - has the battery calibration been done properly? By that logic, the battery should stretch for weeks, if not days. It goes against commonsense.

Considering my colleague's SGS2 yesterday drained after 4+ hours of calling (he took it off charging in the morning and it was zero battery by 5pm) - I cannot believe it till I see something like this in person and has other battery stat data to back it up. Just does not add up.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:42   #6216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
10 hour with zero loss of battery with 2G data on!!

I refuse to believe it - has the battery calibration been done properly? By that logic, the battery should stretch for weeks, if not days. It goes against commonsense.

Considering my colleague's SGS2 yesterday drained after 4+ hours of calling (he took it off charging in the morning and it was zero battery by 5pm) - I cannot believe it till I see something like this in person and has other battery stat data to back it up. Just does not add up.
Battery has been calibrated. I use to early get 1-2% drain at night with 8hrs sleep time with Litening Rom 4.2 with Ninphetamine 2.0.2 kernal with the help of Setcpu profile. That was the best I had seen.
Getting this result with the new KI3 Rom is not really surprising. Samsung has done excellent job on stock kernal which works the best so compared to other kernal which are not based on new source code. Have tried Ninphetamine 2.1.3, 2.0.5, Speedmod k41, Hellcats, Ragemod 1.1b, Siyah 1.7.8 with the Revo 2.7.1 Rom and so far stock kernal has given best battery life. Currently testing the new Speedmod k2-1 kernal based on the open source code.

On litening 4.2 I got 6 hrs of screen time at auto brightness while gaming. Still need to test KI3 Revo 2.7.1 rom in regards to screen time.
On litening Rom 6.1 KH3 with screen on with black background on home screen with Ragemod V2T27 had best battery life, 6hrs 20 mins screen on with 53% battery still left out. More results you could check here xda-developers - View Single Post - [Benchmark] Battle for Battery Life

Leomar OP of Revolution rom got 4 + days of battery life with light to medium use being on 2000mah samsung battery. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=15217

Last edited by Invinsible : 15th October 2011 at 13:08.
Old 15th October 2011, 13:57   #6217
BHPian

Though I use a Android phone, the latest news seems to be a threat for this community and Google :(

Dear Android: This is your last chance | Molly Rants - CNET News

I agreed 100% to this article about the support and smoothness of the OS. Maximum time its a buggy product.
Old 15th October 2011, 14:35   #6218
Senior - BHPian

Arin,

I'm sorry but that clueless journo is pretty much crap.

When she finds something that suits, she changes her logic.

When she wants to beat android, she quotes updates' delay and how its being rolled out differently and sometimes unstable: Dear Android: This is your last chance | Molly Rants - CNET News

When she wants to trash the iPad2: she quotes Kindle Fire2's price. Kindle Fire an iPad killer? Yes. It's the price, stupid | - CNET News Doesnt this idiot know that 90%+ of androids sell at humble price points much below the iPhone4s price? Yet she writes the 1st article. (which is pretty much true only for the SGS2 type phones which compete with iPhone4S) and again is only relevant for a section of the developed world. (not everyone there too spends $200 + hefty monthly fees - we're not tied into our carriers!)

Therefore, she has no holistic view (if only valid a bit - its for US, not India) and pretty much writes the crap that is the news of the week. No different from India TV, except its a bit techie. Ignore her.

and of course, she doesnt bother with custom ROMs - CM7 totals 2/3rd of a million users! MIUI has as many. The world isnt as black/white as she makes it out to be.
Old 15th October 2011, 23:44   #6219
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to change my Splash screen (screen that you see when you turn the phone On) and now it is done. Added my name and a QR code to the default HTC splash screen. The QR code contains a message with my contact information.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dsc02543web.jpg

Here's how it was done:

- Obtained original Desire's splash screen from xda. The file type is .img
- Converted it to bitmap and edited in Photoshop CS4.
- Re-converted it back into .img format, saved as splash1.img
- Booted the phone into bootloader, connected it to PC, and entered the fastboot mode in phone.
- From within <AndroidSDK>/tools folder, gave the command fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img

The new boot image is flashed to the phone. You need to have USB drivers for the Android bootloader interface and you have to add the following directories to Windows path env. variable. - <AndroidSDK>/platform-tools and <AndroidSDK>/tools.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th October 2011 at 00:06.
Old 16th October 2011, 15:53   #6220
BHPian

Re: Rooting 2.3.3 on P500?

I got updated to 2.3.3 on my P500 and lost my root access. The stock 2.3.3 seems to have lots of issues.

If any of you have rooted the stock 2.3.3 on P500, please help me out with the steps/links.

Old 17th October 2011, 08:59   #6221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I got updated to 2.3.3 on my P500 and lost my root access. The stock 2.3.3 seems to have lots of issues.

If any of you have rooted the stock 2.3.3 on P500, please help me out with the steps/links.

Did you try gingerbreak? I used it to root when my p500 was on 2.2.x, but it is supposed to work on 2.3s as well.
Old 17th October 2011, 09:25   #6222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Did you try gingerbreak? I used it to root when my p500 was on 2.2.x, but it is supposed to work on 2.3s as well.
Thanks. Do you have the DIY steps for the same, please? Also the links to download the gingerbreak for 2.3.3 V20C.
Old 17th October 2011, 10:55   #6223
BHPian

After 1 week on MIUI, I find that its battery performance is only 70~75% of CM7. I checked Battery usuage, It says maximum consumed due to hunting for signal! Duh! What is vodafone up to? I am staying with this ROM for another week till there will major changes on CM7.

I have habit of setting contact specific Ring tone. However I noticed MIUI, some time though contact ring tone set, it plays default tone. Anyone observed the same?
Old 17th October 2011, 11:36   #6224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
After 1 week on MIUI, I find that its battery performance is only 70~75% of CM7. I checked Battery usuage, It says maximum consumed due to hunting for signal! Duh! What is vodafone up to? I am staying with this ROM for another week till there will major changes on CM7.

I have habit of setting contact specific Ring tone. However I noticed MIUI, some time though contact ring tone set, it plays default tone. Anyone observed the same?
I have the same observations, in mine the battery life with MIUI is about 75% of what I used to get with CM7. But still hesitant to go back to CM7 because I like come of MIUI features very much.

No idea about contact specific ringtone. I just use a desk phone type ring for all. That is much more elegant than all those songs types. Gone are the days when you use fancy ringtones, movie song cuts and all.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:17   #6225
Senior - BHPian

Plan on gifting an android phone to my wife. Budget is ~8k.

I've shortlisted Dell's XCD35 which has a 3.5" screen and v2.2 (froyo). Its got pretty much all the regular features so wanted to check with you all if it is a good buy at 8200/-? (after 500 cashback from flipkart). Or is there any other phone that I should be considering?

Most Viewed