Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 10:18   #5461
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Can you post the link to the source of this information, please.

Size of the display is 3.6 or 3.7 inches, but the resolution has not been disclosed by Samsung. This would be the deciding factor for this phone.

They can't expect to sell this with a crappy 320x480 display when Motorola Defy is offering much higher resolution.

Rohan
I agree on posting original links, since most of us do not actually manufacture these facts/posts etc.

@Rohan: The XCover apparently sports a 3.6 inch capacitive touchscreen display with 800 x 480 resolution. And compared to the Defy, which has a 480 x 854 pixels 3.7 inches screen, it doesn't look inferior (on Paper atleast)

Samsung Galaxy Xcover Announced
Old 12th August 2011, 10:49   #5462

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Can you post the link to the source of this information, please.

Rohan
Source link >> Samsung Galaxy Xcover: Outdoor-Handy mit Android - News - CHIP Handy Welt
Old 12th August 2011, 14:09   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
And another one
Samsung Galaxy Xcover - Full phone specifications

Guys,
Any idea which Tablet Phone is being offered by Reliance. I think its from Samsung and IMO, its a good deal that you are getting this phone at the cost of Rs. 14k.

Here is the link
Reliance Intros An All New 3G Tablet

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2011 at 19:21. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 12th August 2011, 14:42   #5464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thanks for these details. One simple question based on scenario below:
From Settings, I tap into Check for system updates. The screen stays on Checking for updates for several minutes. I don't know if it is doing something, but based on my Data Manager, it seems that some MB's have got consumed. Now, I would like to keep the Updates checking process ON, and do some browsing with the Browser app. If I launch the browser, will my Check for updates process/ task hibernate or continue in the background? Any clues?
I'd say check for updates is similar to downloading an app or something like that (in nature). Downloading in Android can run in background while u r onto some other activity/app. Another example would be loading some heavyduty webpage (which can take few seconds). It keeps running in background while you are onto some other activity.
I'd assume once the job is finished it will go into hibernation (so no more resource consumption until u return back to the app).
Old 12th August 2011, 15:38   #5465
Team-BHP Support

I may end up buying another Defy now. See this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2466014 (The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here)

Even after an year of release, there is no rugged phone in the league of Defy. Can't wait until XCover becomes available.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th August 2011 at 15:39.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:43   #5466
Senior - BHPian

Name:  snap20110812_152316.png
Views: 468
Size:  35.8 KB

24 hours with a single charge and still 25% remaining in a power hungry HTC Desire.

Highlights
- Mobile data or Wifi all the time ON
- GPS Occasionally
- NO Juice defender to cut down on mobile data
- NO Auto task killers
- Online in Gtalk all the time
- No 'flight mode' usage during this time
- E-mail sync ON, every 30 minutes, 2 accounts.
- Many voice calls, some amount of browsing and chatting, few SMS.

Here's the combo I used to achieve this.

ROM - CM 7.1.0 RC1
Radio - 5.17.05.23 (Latest for Desire)
SetCPU installed to crank down CPU speeds while display is off. (700 Mhz max while display off)
Auto brightness set
Latitude turned off in Google Maps. (Partial wake usage reduced significantly)
Set to use only 2G networks

I am not sure whether it is CM7.1 or SetCPU which contributed much to save battery but anyway this set up is really nice. I could never achieve this much battery life without turning off the data before.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:53   #5467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Guys,
Any idea which Tablet Phone is being offered by Reliance. I think its from Samsung and IMO, its a good deal that you are getting this phone at the cost of Rs. 14k.

Here is the link
Reliance Intros An All New 3G Tablet
Look back a page or two in this thread, someone confirmed its made by ZTE
the deal looks good at Rs.11799 at letsbuy.com when using icicilb coupon.

Edit: forgot its a best deal if you can live without a GPS, which this device is missing.
Old 12th August 2011, 16:01   #5468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Finally updated to 2.3.3 Gingerbread. through another method. If anyone interested follow the below procedure.

Attachment 585881 Attachment 585882

Attachment 585883 Attachment 585884

Attachment 585885

First of all you need to download the Gingerbread 2.3.3 firmware from below.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/WEBSW/...00/V20E_00.kdz

Then download the firmware updating software KDZ_firmware_updater and extract it to a folder. Install msxml.msi on your windows pc by double clicking it.

Connect your LG Optimus One and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe without turning on USB storage on your phone.

In the software window, select Type as 3GQCT
Select PhoneMode as DIAG

In the place where you have to give path for KDZ file, select the Firmware a.k.a ROM you have downloaded using the link you made for your country specific firmware.

Press Launch software update and wait for about 10 minutes. The screen will then say “Emergency mode”. Just wait and let it reboot.
Don’t unplug the USB cable until the setup has finished.

After everything has finished, switch on your phone. Your LG Optimus One will have the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread firmware you installed! Enjoy Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread.

Warning: Flashing may brick your device so do this all at your own risk.

Source

Hi, How is the battery life on 2.3.3 ? I am planning to upgrade so would like to clarify it beforehand.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:31   #5469
e46
BHPian

Guys help needed. I am interested in HTC Salsa, however confused over its config.
Is it MSM7227 or MSM7230.

gsmarena states it has MSM7227T with Adreno 205 which is not possible because 205 is not supported by 7227 architecture, but rather by 7230.

Your informed response would help me to decide and but my first droid. As usual HTC website specs didnt mention thse details.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:35   #5470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Look back a page or two in this thread, someone confirmed its made by ZTE
the deal looks good at Rs.11799 at letsbuy.com when using icicilb coupon.

Edit: forgot its a best deal if you can live without a GPS, which this device is missing.
It does have GPS if you look at the official specification link here.>> Reliance 3G Tab Tech Specs
See the last line, Other Support Features.
Old 12th August 2011, 20:03   #5471
BANNED

Gingerbread!!! FInally!!!

Finally got my GT S5570 de(soft)bricked.

Here is the history. I download few files to the PC, and transfer two to the phone. Since recovery mode in the original phone insisted that for upgrading / flashing, the file should be named update.zip, I had renamed one of them to update.zip.

What I really wanted to do was to rename upd_1.zip for rooting. Instead, I rename a ROM file. Result was a phone which showed the initial logo (but not the animation), and hung there. The screen would go blank after about 5+ minutes. Recovery, download and ram dump modes were possible.

In recovery mode, the phone would complain about inability to mount /dev/sdl12.

The phone was being recognised by heimdall, but heimdall could not read its pit file. (partition info). Did not want to experiment with this since .....

... I was lucky to have a pristine Win8 (or whatever version of Microsoft's OS) at office. That PC however does not have any net access, so I take all the required files + online info in a readme file to office and manage to finish off the job.

There was a rather surprise in store though. When I had connected the phone to the office pc, it was about 18 hours after last recharge. Flashing is complete in about 5 minutes or so. But when I remove the USB plug, the phone switches itself off. Getting suspicious, I put in the power charger, and the phone shows almost empty charge!!!

Since I am now feeling confident with the process, I go ahead the do the rooting too, with upd_1.zip.

Root with gingerbread!!!!

;-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am not sure whether it is CM7.1 or SetCPU which contributed much to save battery but anyway this set up is really nice. I could never achieve this much battery life without turning off the data before.
Will check with setcpu alone.

While on Froyo, I was getting hardly 36 hours battery life - with full time GPRS on (NOT GPS). Have not tried GPS or WiFi yet. On Nokia phones, I would get 48 hours (without GPRS, of course, but with 2 hours or so of music thrown in). Wife would get 5 to 6 days on same phone.

At 5 PM, the battery was showing 56% charge. At around 6.30, after attending to 3 or 4 calls, the battery shows 36% charge.

I feel that I deserve at least 48 hours between recharges - android or not. Let me see with set CPU. Right now, I have installed battery calibrator.
Old 12th August 2011, 22:01   #5472
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I have a question and, as always, hoping someone will answer it here

How good/useful is backups taken via ClockWorkMod 3 ? I mean, when the process is initiated from the CMW app, the phone is rebooted to CMW Recovery and a full backup is taken (seems like a complete systems backup). So the question is that if this backup is a good option to bank upon to get the phone back into the old state after restoring to factory defaults (complete reset) ?

Has anyone done a restore and seen if it is really a System image like a Ghost-image per se?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreaciated
Old 12th August 2011, 22:35   #5473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hello Friends,

How good/useful is backups taken via ClockWorkMod 3 ? I mean, when the process is initiated from the CMW app, the phone is rebooted to CMW Recovery and a full backup is taken (seems like a complete systems backup). So the question is that if this backup is a good option to bank upon to get the phone back into the old state after restoring to factory defaults (complete reset) ?

Has anyone done a restore and seen if it is really a System image like a Ghost-image per se?

Yes, CWM recovery backups are a complete system image. I have used it twice to restore my phone back into previous states and it worked flawlessly. It takes the backup of everything except the data you have in SD card - that is your pictures, songs etc. The .android_secure folder in sd card and any ext3 partition in sd card are also backed up.

The second backup was taken to try out MIUI temporarily. After trying out, I restored the good old Cyanogen ROM which I was running.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th August 2011 at 22:37.
Old 12th August 2011, 22:49   #5474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
It does have GPS if you look at the official specification link here.>> Reliance 3G Tab Tech Specs
See the last line, Other Support Features.
Thanks for correcting me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hello Friends,

I use titanium backup from market, its a nicely done software, even the free version allows you to take full backups, and restore them.
I've flashed my galaxy3 not less than 8-10 times and titanium backup has always saved me getting my phone back to my customized state.
Old 12th August 2011, 22:57   #5475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Thanks for correcting me.

I use titanium backup from market, its a nicely done software, even the free version allows you to take full backups, and restore them.
I've flashed my galaxy3 not less than 8-10 times and titanium backup has always saved me getting my phone back to my customized state.
Titanium backup is an app which runs within your Android OS and takes full back up of your apps. Cwm is a recovery program which runs above your Android OS and takes a full system image. Both have their own usage and are quite different, IMO

Last edited by clevermax : 12th August 2011 at 22:59.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks