Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 11:16   #5401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Interesting story of a guy who lost his Android in a cab and found it back using a security software that was not installed in the phone when he lost it!

Read on.

How Plan B found the Droid I was looking for
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 12:43   #5402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I'll slightly modify this too -

Samsung HW + Apple UI + bada OS + Android Apps + US Price
Alright if you like Bada OS but remember this is Android page

Lets involve HTC as well in our collaboration by having them design the looks of the phone and manufacture it! Nobody is better than HTC in that respect at least!
Old 8th August 2011, 13:05   #5403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I'll slightly modify this too -

Samsung HW + Apple UI + bada OS + Android Apps + US Price
Whats so good about this "bada" OS.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:33   #5404
Senior - BHPian

Though I asked this question on the GPS/Maps thread but may be this is the right place - Do we have any free android app that would record my GPS trails when on a road trip.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and I'm looking for a software that can continue recording my GPS trails with all the relevant data (lat/long/alt etc.) even in the background while I'm using Sygic Mobile Maps (mapmyindia) or offline google maps. Possible?
Old 8th August 2011, 17:01   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69
Though I asked this question on the GPS/Maps thread but may be this is the right place - Do we have any free android app that would record my GPS trails when on a road trip.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and I'm looking for a software that can continue recording my GPS trails with all the relevant data (lat/long/alt etc.) even in the background while I'm using Sygic Mobile Maps (mapmyindia) or offline google maps. Possible?
You can try, my tracks. I don't use it . However. I have no idea if it works with sygic installed.
Old 8th August 2011, 17:59   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Whats so good about this "bada" OS.
It's fast and snappier, better battery management, more features out of the box (less apps to install). It's simpler to use than Android but more flexible than iOS (in terms of customization). For an OS which is still at version 1.2, it is pretty good.

PS: I know this is an Android thread and I too like Android for what it offers.
Old 8th August 2011, 18:03   #5407
BHPian

So im trying to link my facebook contacts to my regular contacts on my Defy, but it doesnt seem to work. Im on the stock Froyo rom. Is this not possible because the Indian DEFY doesnt have Blur?
Old 8th August 2011, 19:35   #5408
BANNED

Some questions:-

Phone is Samsung GT S5570 running stock Froyo 2.2.1.

Tried running Titanium backup, but it wants root. But "superuser" does not give me root. Superuser complained of outdated "su" binary, downloaded su-2.3.1-signed.zip, and asked me to go to recovery mode and flash it. But recovery mode can flash only "update.zip" from the SD card. What is wrong here? Both superuser and TB are latest versions - downloaded yesterday / today from the Market Place.

Or should I be using something else for rooting it?
Old 8th August 2011, 19:49   #5409
BHPian

Just saw my friends SGS2 producing a whopping quadrant score of 3110!!!

Now if anything is incredible, this is it (and not the HTC one ;-)
Old 8th August 2011, 22:49   #5410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Just saw my friends SGS2 producing a whopping quadrant score of 3110!!!

Now if anything is incredible, this is it (and not the HTC one ;-)
Feel sorry to disappoint you but Quadrant means zilcih nowdays!!! It is no longer a valid representation of device's capability (something admitted by the developers of the app itself. They are "working" to address that)

Its just a fancy number these days to show-off!!!

By the way, the HTC Sensation without Sense achieved 3500 score (which runs on an asynchronous core which means thats pretty much score of a single core!). Theres a page on XDA on that! (for a Sense-less ROM for Sensation

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th August 2011 at 14:23. Reason: slang text removed as it gives a different meaning.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:08   #5411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

Feel sorry to pop your cherry but Quadrant means zilcih nowdays!!! It is no longer a valid representation of device's capability (something admitted by the developers of the app itself. They are "working" to address that)

Its just a fancy number these days to show-off!!!

By the way, the HTC Sensation without Sense achieved 3500 score (which runs on an asynchronous core which means thats pretty much score of a single core!). Theres a page on XDA on that! (for a Sense-less ROM for Sensation
By without sense you mean its running a custom rom. The SGS2 clocks 4000 while not overclocked in some roms. People have got scores close to or even over 5000 while overclocking. I get 3800 sometimes without ocing.
Quadrant currently treats the dual core procc as a single core procc. Does that for the sensation as well as the SGS2.

Besides benchmarks do not indicate real world scenarios.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 9th August 2011 at 00:10.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:39   #5412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
Some questions:-

Phone is Samsung GT S5570 running stock Froyo 2.2.1.

Tried running Titanium backup, but it wants root. But "superuser" does not give me root. Superuser complained of outdated "su" binary, downloaded su-2.3.1-signed.zip, and asked me to go to recovery mode and flash it. But recovery mode can flash only "update.zip" from the SD card. What is wrong here? Both superuser and TB are latest versions - downloaded yesterday / today from the Market Place.

Or should I be using something else for rooting it?
Your phone isn't rooted. You need a root app for superuser to work. Search for them in the market or google for phone specific versions.

Superuser and titanium backup will work once the phone is rooted
Old 9th August 2011, 08:06   #5413
Senior - BHPian

Everyone's out here to prove that his phone is better than the competition, whereas in the real world all of them have a half life of 3 months after which a better alternative is presented. Enjoy your phones till they last and stop dreaming of digital nirvana, because that's not gonna occur anytime soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Interesting story of a guy who lost his Android in a cab and found it back using a security software that was not installed in the phone when he lost it!

Read on.

How Plan B found the Droid I was looking for
Thanks Clevermax for that article link. Plan B really worked guys. Just did my own practical experimentation now. Only thing is that the phone needs to be switched on+data on, when it is lost and comes to your notice for this to work. But hats off to android market where we can can now push a app to our phone even though its lost and get exact pinpoint location...

Last edited by dkaile : 9th August 2011 at 08:13.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 09:40   #5414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Thanks Clevermax for that article link. Plan B really worked guys. Just did my own practical experimentation now. Only thing is that the phone needs to be switched on+data on, when it is lost and comes to your notice for this to work. But hats off to android market where we can can now push a app to our phone even though its lost and get exact pinpoint location...
It worked for me too. I put the phone in a meeting room, came back to my seat, and installed PlanB remotely. Within 5 minutes, I started getting e-mails and from second e-mail to 5th, the location was made more precise.. from a 1 Km circle to within 10 meters accuracy. If it was outside with a better sky view, the precision would have been even better. The best thing is, the e-mail itself contains a picture of the map with your phone marked in it.

Name:  staticmap.png
Views: 545
Size:  29.2 KB

Plan B is really helpful in case of a lost mobile. (Not stolen)

Last edited by clevermax : 9th August 2011 at 09:46.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:01   #5415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It worked for me too. I put the phone in a meeting room, came back to my seat, and installed PlanB remotely. Within 5 minutes, I started getting e-mails and from second e-mail to 5th, the location was made more precise.. from a 1 Km circle to within 10 meters accuracy. If it was outside with a better sky view, the precision would have been even better. The best thing is, the e-mail itself contains a picture of the map with your phone marked in it.

Attachment 590748

Plan B is really helpful in case of a lost mobile. (Not stolen)
Nice to see it works here too. Coz the Plan B page on the Lookout website states that this is a beta version and will work only in US.

Most Viewed