Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 22:19   #5296
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Rooted my LG Optimus One P 500 - 2.3.3 Gingerbread. But unable to install the Google Maps with Voice Navigation (Signed File). Its saying "Application Not Installed".

Deleted preinstalled map app using Titanium backup , also through recovery but no luck. Any help?
Name:  snap20110804_154817.png
Views: 562
Size:  64.6 KB Name:  snap20110804_154836.png
Views: 531
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  snap20110804_220157.png
Views: 550
Size:  41.9 KB Name:  snap20110804_220212.png
Views: 520
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 4th August 2011, 23:32   #5297
BANNED

^^
Found it finally , it was the steet view app which was creating the problem, uninstalled it.
Now voice enabled navigation working here too.
Attached Images

Old 5th August 2011, 07:07   #5298
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the valuable advice, I kind of eliminated HTC, and now the race is between LG and Samsung, leaning towards LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Dangerous? No. It is too big a word. Risky? Yes. Is the risk worth taking? Yes and No. I would advise the same if the user is a colleague of mine as I feel the benefits outweigh the costs. If the user is happy with the stock device and feels it is not worth spending time in getting more juice from the device, the answer is no. It is a big no, if the user is not familiar with operating systems, administrator permissions etc.

I certainly would have avoided this advise. I missed the Sriturl's words that he is illiterate when it comes to smart phones. I was carried away with all the ROM discussions on this thread.
I will definitely start exploring the phone more once I get one, thanks a lot for the interesting discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Samsung Galaxy Ace is a really nice phone of the lot. It suffers from low battery life though.

If you can extend your budget to 20k, then check out HTC Desire Z (has physical keyboard), Desire HD and HTC Desire S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Whatever you do, do not buy HTC Wildfire S. Its has lot of issues.
For now, I may go with LG as per the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Would suggest the LG Optimus One, available at 8500/- . Meets all your requirements mentioned.
Where in Bangalore sir? 8500 is tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
If your budget permits, you should go in for a Motorola Defy...
It's quite quick.. after you install CM7 and it's water resistant and shock resistant.

I think it costs about 15K or so.

Motorola is known for it's good build quality
One interesting stuff to note, another friend of me, who was following this, called up a friend who works for Motorola(not software), and the reply came, "dont go for Motorola phone"
Old 5th August 2011, 08:27   #5299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
What is the best way to share the photos from the phone gallery of SGS2? I tried using Picasa, but was not successful. Here is how I tried. I went into the gallery and selected a photo/image and then selected the share via option and then Picasa. It then asked me to specify a google a/c if it already exists else create a new one. I 've given my existing google id that is already confugured in my SGS2. It gave a message that the given google id is already added to the phone and nothing happened. Can't I use the same google id(gmail id) for sharing the photos via Picasa or should I create a new one? Am I not doing this in proper way? Experts please share your thoughts on this. Thanks.

You are doing the right thing, just that Picasa takes a couple of attempts to link the GMAIL accounts. I know this because I have done it too. I have 2 accounts registered with Picasa and they always take a couple of attempts to works. So my advise based on experience is that try the same process you mentioned twice back to back.

Also you could download and install Picasa Tool from the Market. It also allows sharing/uploading to picasa from the gallery.
Old 5th August 2011, 08:48   #5300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Where in Bangalore sir? 8500 is tempting.
You can purchase it online at letsbuy.com. Use coupon code rcomlb1 to get a 1k discount.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:02   #5301
BANNED

Can any one tell me what was the preloaded Dictionary app in LG Optimus One P 500. I lost it when i done factory reset.

Any pointers to download or a backup copy for the same will be helpful.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:08   #5302
BHPian

^^ the same thing has happened to my LG optimus too. I had done a factory restore and the stock Dictionary App is now messed up. I now use the Dictionary app downloaded from the Market.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:19   #5303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
^^
Found it finally , it was the steet view app which was creating the problem, uninstalled it.
Now voice enabled navigation working here too.
It is just the driving directions calculation or the turn by turn navigation with voice that is working? Is it with the default Google Maps app?

Last edited by clevermax : 5th August 2011 at 09:21.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:25   #5304
BANNED

@clevermax

Earlier it was only direction calculation and now the turn by turn navigation with voice also working.

I uninstalled the default maps app and installed the Google Maps v5.7.0 Signed Navigation.

For the voice you need to enable Text to Speech in your phone.

1.Go to settings/voice input and output/text to speech settings, default will be pico TTS.
2.Language for spoken text select English UK
3.In the text to speech setting check the always use my settings.

Last edited by wildon : 5th August 2011 at 09:53.
wildon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 09:35   #5305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
There is an app for screenshots, for unrooted handsets.
I dont recall the name right now, but am using it on a galaxy tab.will udate with the name.
its sits in the top drop down bar.you drag it down, click on it, and it takes a snapshot of whatever is on the screen after a predefined(user) time(i have it on 3 seconds.)
I also have this on my Galaxy 551. At least the one I have does require root. As Sammy's are so easy to root, I see not point in not doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Let's not start this discussion of MEID and Reliance all over again. Brand New evo 3D (good esn) plus shipping available between 18-20k
Practically all vendors on rimweb.in give you phones with registered MEID / AKey. Reliance tried to kill ESN sets which also had MEID (unregistered) earlier this year. So I will not risk an ESN only smartphone.

There is only one issue with htc Phones. Rooting is a pain due to the need to first get S-off. I am not sure whether the Evo 3D has been done yet. I have an Incredible 2 and managed root using AlphaRevX/Beta2. This is now Revolutionary.io following a tie of of AlphaRevX and Unrevoked.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:36   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
@clevermax

Earlier it was only direction calculation and now the turn by turn navigation with voice also working.

I uninstalled the default maps app and installed the Google Maps v5.7.0 Signed Navigation.
I have Maps 5.8 and I can't seem to get Navigation working in that. I have Brut mod for Google Maps and in that, navigation works fine. How did you get navigation working in GMaps (assuming you are in India)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There is only one issue with htc Phones. Rooting is a pain due to the need to first get S-off.
Sir, I rooted mine without going S-Off, mine is now rooted but still S-On.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th August 2011 at 09:37.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:01   #5307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have Maps 5.8 and I can't seem to get Navigation working in that.
^^
You have to uninstall the 5.8 first.

1. I used Titanium backup *root application for the default google maps un installation.

2. Check all the google maps, latitude, pointers , navigation are gone.

3. If you installed Street View then you need to uninstall that too by using Titanium back up.

4. reboot your phone

5. download the Google Maps v5.7.0 Signed Navigation apk and put in your sdcard root. (a google search will give you the link to download)

6. Use any file manager to install it.

you are done.

For the voice you need to enable Text to Speech in your phone.

1.Go to settings/voice input and output/text to speech settings, default will be pico TTS if not make it to this.

2.Language for spoken text select English UK (here you will be directed to the Market to download the text to speech app automatically)

3.In the text to speech setting check the always use my settings.

Last edited by wildon : 5th August 2011 at 10:19.
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 10:04   #5308
BHPian

Found an odd bug in the Nexus S running 6.3.4 today.

The phone's connected to the charger and the status under 'settings --> about phone --> status' shows 'Battery status: Full', and the 'battery level:95%' and it's not charging anymore. Unplugged and reconnected the charger and it's gone back to 'Battery Status: Charging' though the 'Battery level' remains at 95%. Could it be a battery calibration issue ?
Old 5th August 2011, 10:09   #5309
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I rooted mine without going S-Off, mine is now rooted but still S-On.
Was it a Temp Root or a permanent one. afaik permanent demands S-off. If you have rooted an htc without S-off, you are a genius. What model, what OS version, which rooting software and any tricks? I will be delighted and dkaile even more so.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:46   #5310
BHPian

Hi,

I am facing a wired issue on my Galaxy S Android Ginger bread.
Yesterday I was updating a few app's from the market widget. After completing the action when I returned to home screen, the phone dialer, the message widget and the contacts widget had disappeared.

They only exist in the application screen. I have tried everything possible but was not able to bring back the phone dialer for example back to its original location. The best I manged was to drag it to the home screen.

Please advice if anyone knows how to solve this issue..

Regards

Paresh Raheja
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sc20110805103117.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks