Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:27   #5251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

How is the GPS in Defy? I am planning to install MMI mobile maps (All India maps at Rs. 1990) once I get the phone. Anyone did that earlier on this phone?

Last edited by S_U_N : 2nd August 2011 at 13:33.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:32   #5252
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to test drive the SGS2 yesterday. The phone is painfully thin and light!! Feels too plastic compared to my Desire! Wonder how they integrated all that hardware into such a thin shell!

Performance...hmm.. the response times for bringing up menus and launching apps almost similar to my Desire running CM7. The phone would show outstanding benchmark results in quadrant test though. To my surprise, noticed some jerkiness also during some of the window transition effects which I never expected to see in such an excellent hardware config.

S-AMOLED display is just super.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd August 2011 at 13:48.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:13   #5253
BANNED

Need some over clocking applications. Phone is an htc Incredible 2 on Froyo, and rooted.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:16   #5254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Folks finally after lot of deliberation picked up the Nexus S, being an Android user for the past 1.5 years I somehow wanted a phone that would give me the latest OS updates without having to yearn and wait to get a new firmware or try and put one of the custom firmwares on. Though the phone doesn't come with a SD card slot, 16GB onboard suits me just fine. I also prefer the unalderated OS, so I can install whatever apps I want. Got it upgraded online to the latest 2.3.4 OS.
Great choice with the Nexus S.
Did you order it online ? There is just a 1 k difference now between Nexus S/SLCD and Galaxy S-AMOLED.

With S-AMOLED you get 16GB internal storage+ microSD card support+ FM as well.. along with the all important S-AMOLED screen. But yes, as far as OS updates go, Nexus is the way to go !

Congrats on your purchase

Last edited by DCEite : 2nd August 2011 at 14:23.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:45   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Great choice with the Nexus S.
Did you order it online ? There is just a 1 k difference now between Nexus S/SLCD and Galaxy S-AMOLED.

With S-AMOLED you get 16GB internal storage+ microSD card support+ FM as well.. along with the all important S-AMOLED screen. But yes, as far as OS updates go, Nexus is the way to go !

Congrats on your purchase
Thanks DCEite, yes I know about the difference between the GS and the NS, I did see the Galaxy S too but wasn't too happy with v2.2 and also waiting for Samsung to launch future OS upgrades. Samsung is notorious for slow updates.
I paid 19900/- for the Nexus S and picked it up from a dealer. I rarely ever use FM on my phone so it wasn't a deciding factor, the main thing I was keen on was getting OS updates and with the Nexus S I was sure I'd get OS updates at least for the next 18 months which would be the max lifespan of the phone considering that in the past I changed my phones every 12 months. The onboard 16GB (though it's usable upto 13.3GB) is more than what I need for my applications and I did find that accessing the onboard memory was faster than I could access my SD card in my older Galaxy 3. I also didn't want the Samsung or the HTC bloatware which they usually package along with the rest of the phones, rather wanted a vanilla Android and then choose the specific apps I wanted. I guess at end of the day it all comes down to the requirements that you look for in our device and if it suits the requirements then you should go for it.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:03   #5256
BHPian

SGS2 Notification LED

Hi Fellow SGS2 Owners,

I have been missing a Hardware Notification LED on my SGS2 since I bought it. And Guess what, early morning today, I had to make a call to my cabbie and I found that it works. The Front Notification LED, the one the right of the Front facing Camera, WORKS!!! The video below is a proof of the same.

I dont know how it got working, I have not intentionally done anything to make it work. I found it by accident this morning (4:30am) while making a call in dark. This LED flashes very briefly when the phone Starts-up too.

I am running 2.3.4 XXKG1 with CF-Root-2 Kernel with SU/Root access and CMW installed (lemme know if you need any further specs from my handset).

Only problem now is that its very faint. The LED is almost non-existent around any light source. This is a great let down, because its like Present but not quite

I need you assistance in trying to figure out this Mystery LED, please!!!

Edit: Please excuse the quality of the Video. As mentioned above, this phenomenon happens in the Dark so I couldn't use any light source . Also excuse the buzzing phone I used to dial out to for this Video. And Lastly, you may notice the Full Screen Caller-ID Picture on display which is a result of a MOD from XDA. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Zenster : 3rd August 2011 at 08:08.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:17   #5257
BHPian

Has anyone tried this?
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 (XXKG2)? (Tutorial, new) - PhonesArchive.com
deepakchiniwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:44   #5258
BHPian

Yup i upgraded from XF8 to KG1 using ODIN. Its the easiest and quickest method according to me.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:52   #5259
BHPian

@Zenster, any noticeable difference from the stock version?

Please give me the link to download ODIN.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:29   #5260
BHPian

@ S U N
GPS of Defy is very good. I am using it with MMI. Satellite locking will take max 1 minute if you are in the car.

Last edited by sudhi_des : 3rd August 2011 at 12:29. Reason: remove editor tags
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:05   #5261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
@Zenster, any noticeable difference from the stock version?

Please give me the link to download ODIN.
Here, read this thread and grasp as much as possible, very usefull and in Detail.

[ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF1/2/3/4/, KG1/2/3/6 Download and Flash Guide. - xda-developers

You can use this file: ODIN.zip
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:32   #5262
BHPian

Just received the OTG Host Adapter for my SGS2.

Tested a USB Wireless Mouse and it worked. The pointer was accurate and clicks are registered very effectively (navigated through Astro FM using the mouse). Also tested a USB Pen Drive and that worked too. The USB drive was mounted under /mnt/sdcard/usbstorage/ and the folder it mounted was 'sda'. I was able to browse the folder, open the files, read PDF/Word files.

All in all, its a great accessory. Now I wouldn't need any SDHC cards (since my 16GB pen drive works great!).

P.S: FYI, I paid $4 (Rs.177) for this item and bought from here Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2/SII | eBay
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:47   #5263
e46
BHPian

Is the Samy GS (I9000) still suffering from GPS issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Finally,

After a lot of deliberation, ordered Samsung Galaxy S i9000 from Letsbuy @ INR 19,120 ! Thanks to indian21r for the coupon.

It had dropped to a mouth watering 20999 at letsbuy and with coupon would cost around 19 k ! So now there is only 1 k difference between the SLCD and AMOLED, why in the world would anyone go for SLCD.
Heck, Galaxy S was too good to miss at 19 k, so decided to extend my budget and go for it instead of the Moto Defy.
Very good DCEite. cant deny that at 20k, the GS is a sure good deal. however, my foremost concern related to this device:

Is it still suffering from the GPS issue? Are the recent lots spared of that issue? Please test and let me know. Does it work oob or you have to tweak sw/hw settings.

This goes out to all users of this device? Responses would be appreciated very much.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:59   #5264
BHPian

Re: SGS2 Notification LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hi Fellow SGS2 Owners,

I have been missing a Hardware Notification LED on my SGS2 since I bought it. And Guess what, early morning today, I had to make a call to my cabbie and I found that it works. The Front Notification LED, the one the right of the Front facing Camera, WORKS!!! The video below is a proof of the same.

I dont know how it got working, I have not intentionally done anything to make it work. I found it by accident this morning (4:30am) while making a call in dark. This LED flashes very briefly when the phone Starts-up too.

I am running 2.3.4 XXKG1 with CF-Root-2 Kernel with SU/Root access and CMW installed (lemme know if you need any further specs from my handset).

Only problem now is that its very faint. The LED is almost non-existent around any light source. This is a great let down, because its like Present but not quite

I need you assistance in trying to figure out this Mystery LED, please!!!

‪SGS2 LED Notification‬‏ - YouTube

Edit: Please excuse the quality of the Video. As mentioned above, this phenomenon happens in the Dark so I couldn't use any light source . Also excuse the buzzing phone I used to dial out to for this Video. And Lastly, you may notice the Full Screen Caller-ID Picture on display which is a result of a MOD from XDA. Hope this helps!
Bro,
That's not a notification LED.
That's the proximity sensor... It blinks when you make a call so the screen can be turned off, so that you don't inadvertently press anything on the screen while on a call...

In CM7 on my Milestone [I know have an SGS2] i could turn off the proximity sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverMax View Post
Got a chance to test drive the SGS2 yesterday. The phone is painfully thin and light!! Feels too plastic compared to my Desire! Wonder how they integrated all that hardware into such a thin shell!

Performance...hmm.. the response times for bringing up menus and launching apps almost similar to my Desire running CM7. The phone would show outstanding benchmark results in quadrant test though. To my surprise, noticed some jerkiness also during some of the window transition effects which I never expected to see in such an excellent hardware config.

S-AMOLED display is just super.
The hardware of the SGS2 is insane, the software is still buggy.
Wait for an RC of Darky's ROM or CM7 and you won't notice any lagging or jerkiness.
There are several AOS Bugs present in the current OS & Kernel.
With each release of Kernel they are addressing issues.
Darky & CM make their own kernels which is why those OSs are so damn fast.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 3rd August 2011 at 19:04.
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:19   #5265
BHPian

I was an illiterate when it comes to smart phones/ relate gadgets, and looking out for a new smart phone to join the bandwagon !
I am not willing to spend a lot, but looking for a basic to semi advanced version, and I kind of short listed three options based on budget and the little knowledge acquired (no particular order)
HTC Wildfire S (I liked the build quality of HTC generally)
Samsung Galaxy Ace
LG Optimus p500

Any feedback on the above would be helpful to finalize.
A novice question - I liked the e-book reader in some tablets, and Galaxy S2 at a store, is it possible to download that app and install it on any of the above phones?

My requirements are simple. Good email support, GPS is good, preferably support static maps, not connecting to internet for GPS functionality(through satellites only). Good quality speaker phone to attend long meetings(I dont want to hold it to ear for long durations)
Does any of these phones support conferencing clients like netmeeting etc. atleast to view?

thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks