Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 11:42   #3751
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^
In samsung phones we can odin back to almost any os version of our choice; I advice people to give samsung's/htc's the top billings...
Old 8th June 2011, 11:55   #3752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
No. There is some complexity. Google fails me - but even on android, junta who flash a FULL SBF (versus a fixed SBF) cannot go back to eclair. Heck, even OTA Froyo updates cannot be rolled back in some other android phones.

So there is some funda (a motorola SBF has about 10-12 data packets) - a fixed SBF updates only the required ones - leaving others untouched for a possible downgrade. More google I say

PS: I opened XDA - Ctrl-F couldn't find "Ace" on the page. kis naam se hai?
It's called Samsung Galaxy GT-S5830 or 'Galaxy Cooper'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
In samsung phones we can odin back to almost any os version of our choice; I advice people to give samsung's/htc's the top billings...
Oh is it? Then that's wonderful!

Why HTC? I thought it was the toughest phone for up/down grade due to the locked bootloader?
Old 8th June 2011, 11:56   #3753
Senior - BHPian

^
no locked bootloaders on htc ever; they were planning, but since have been dropped due to our protests...
Old 8th June 2011, 12:02   #3754
Senior - BHPian

ah, now that makes sense - but what does locked bootloaders have to do with this? Hear me out a sec - If I have the firmware, as a 2.1 SBF and a 2.2 SBF (both full), then why can the froyo users not downgrade to 2.1? That is exactly what happened in motorola.

I'm not getting the full logical context so pray not be brief or share a link.

@Nishant - I still can't find it on Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers
Old 8th June 2011, 12:16   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In samsung, odin is a samsung oe software that can wipe the phone clean, change any radio version, put any pit file, and of course, upgrade/downgrade to any os software version; the links are too many, kindly search complete procedures on xda... however do remember that playing with the phone's innards does involve a wee bit of risk (e.g. if you select an absolutely wrong radio file for instance and flash your phone with that, then you have a very costly paper weight)

Last edited by dkaile : 8th June 2011 at 12:17.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:26   #3756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ah, now that makes sense - but what does locked bootloaders have to do with this? Hear me out a sec - If I have the firmware, as a 2.1 SBF and a 2.2 SBF (both full), then why can the froyo users not downgrade to 2.1? That is exactly what happened in motorola.

@Nishant - I still can't find it on Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers
Here you go
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers
And
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers

P.S. What does SBF stand for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
In samsung, odin is a samsung oe software that can wipe the phone clean, change any radio version, put any pit file, and of course, upgrade/downgrade to any os software version; the links are too many, kindly search complete procedures on xda... however do remember that playing with the phone's innards does involve a wee bit of risk (e.g. if you select an absolutely wrong radio file for instance and flash your phone with that, then you have a very costly paper weight)
Even I'd like a logical explanation why once cant wipe an Android phone (except Samsung, as dkaile points out) and move across OS'es as and when you feel like.

How exactly is a phone different from a PC in this regard?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 8th June 2011 at 12:43.
Old 8th June 2011, 13:41   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
haha. i was looking only for current devices you see *nudge wink*

System Boot File - fancy acronym for a firmware file
Old 8th June 2011, 14:31   #3758
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^^

No, it shows the last 6 apps you've used - even if they are closed. I just confirmed the same on a Galaxy 3 running A 2.1
You are right.
For viewing all running apps/services, I found "Multitasking Pro" very useful. It shows up all running as well as recent apps in different tabs by keeping pressed the Home or Search button (configurable).
And the interface is just like the native Android "recent apps" pop-up but with extra tabs showing running apps/services as well.
There's even a free Lite version available.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ultitaskingpro

Last edited by anuragn : 8th June 2011 at 14:34. Reason: Type error
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 15:16   #3759
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

As most of you know i have been stalking the Android thread for a while now and i am still unable to take a call on my next Android device. I had earlier shortlisted HTC WFS and XCD35. After some research and some playing with the phones i had almost decided upon the WFS.

Recently i came across the Motorola Defy. It is over budget by about ~3.5k. And hence i had a few questions in mind. I saw a few videos too on youtube and all and which have convinced me that the phone is surely strong built.

1. Is it worth that extra ~3.5k (HTC WFS 13,900 & DEFY 17200) ?
2. Can i upgrade the Defy to Android 2.3 ( Gingerbread). HTC WFS comes pre loaded with Android 2.3. If so, HOW?
3. Any Defy users here? Can you rate the battery and the UI for the same please.

Thanks a lot all of you.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 8th June 2011 at 15:17.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:34   #3760
BANNED

Thanks, dkaile, I never know that Odin was a Samsung OE software. I thought it was general purpose for all of them. How about htc which I understand is very close to Samsung?

Also, by the looks of it I will be looking for a upper-mid range GSM handset pretty soon. I am tempted to go for an additional phone Vodafone or Airtel.

Reliance is playing pass the parcel with my complaint of a poor signal. After, getting no joy on-line I wrote to customer-care. The complaint was bounced to broadband, who a cuple of days later bounced it back to CC stating that it was not their baby (rightly). The post clearly stated that I have a voice connectivity problem and that I have managed up to 8.9Mbps on data download from home!
Old 8th June 2011, 15:40   #3761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
As most of you know i have been stalking the Android thread for a while now
Quote:
2. Can i upgrade the Defy to Android 2.3 ( Gingerbread). HTC WFS comes pre loaded with Android 2.3. If so, HOW?
3. Any Defy users here?
The above two quotations are contradictory. If you are really stalking this thread, how did you miss the Defy users who are practically crowding this thread with their Gingerbread stories.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 15:41   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
haha. i was looking only for current devices you see *nudge wink*

System Boot File - fancy acronym for a firmware file
Kyun le raha hai bhai? Ace was launched in Mar '11. It's pretty recent!!

Quote:
1. Is it worth that extra ~3.5k (HTC WFS 13,900 & DEFY 17200) ?
3. Any Defy users here? Can you rate the battery and the UI for the same please.

Thanks a lot all of you.
1. Phamilyman
2. Definitely Phamilyman!
3. Most definitely Phamilyman (And Samurai San too)!!
Old 8th June 2011, 15:56   #3763
Senior - BHPian

^
htc phones are also completely flashable once we do the security off (s-off) of the bootloader; more information on the same is available on xda...
Old 8th June 2011, 16:41   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Even I'd like a logical explanation why once cant wipe an Android phone (except Samsung, as dkaile points out) and move across OS'es as and when you feel like.

How exactly is a phone different from a PC in this regard?
There can be many reasons , most important is partition table of internal flash memory. If partition information changes between major releases it will not be possible to go back.

ODIN is not an ordinary consumer tool it wipes the flash memory completely so it is possible to go from any release to any other release.

On top of it I heard some other manufacturers in latest models have started using trusted platform modules and code signing so it will not be possible to flash 3ed party binaries any more if the hardware TPM modules are not cracked.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:13   #3765
BHPian

gprs problem with Samsung i9003

I've had this phone since March and have been delighted with it. I used to run GPRS on the Idea netwrok with no problems. I then wanted to try out Idea 3G, and got the settings from them. 3G never worked for me, so after a week I went back to GPRS. For some strange reason the GPRS refuses to run.
Idea has disabled 3G for my number, I have deleted all the APNs and got fresh configuration from Idea for GPRS, rebooted the phone, etc. all to no avail. GPRS does not run. Sometimes I get the GPRS indication on the phone for like, 2 seconds, before it disappears. I know there's something I have overlooked, but have no clue, and neither have the good people at Idea!
I would really appreciate some guidance here.

Last edited by filcord : 8th June 2011 at 17:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks