Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 11:32   #3676
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,
In anticipation of my Defy, can any of you let me know if Airtel has a pre-paid plan for 3 G, and if so, how much does it cost?

I've been a pre-paid Airtel customer for the past 8 years and would like to remain so, unless compelled to shift to post-paid for lack of pre-paid plans.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:42   #3677
Senior - BHPian

@srishiva - other causes
- rooting causes issues but very rarely
- sd card issue; low quality sd card, tone on sd card etc

@all -Always reboot android phones once a week or fortnight with a 30 second battery pull and then restart your phone; this refreshes/controls many issues.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 12:45   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Got it from my dealer for 30k was quoting 31k but after lot of pestering decreased the price,and was the last piece he had .

P.S Members which software for pc Kies or pc studio??
Theoretically you should be using Kies.

However it's damn slow, has a huge memory footprint on the PC and is buggy and moody.

What do you needs Kies for anyway?

For contacts, SMS and file management, nothing beats My Phone Explorer (FJ Software Development)

For ROM related softwares, tools etc. head over to News - www.SamFirmware.com
Old 6th June 2011, 13:57   #3679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@srishiva - other causes
- rooting causes issues but very rarely
- sd card issue; low quality sd card, tone on sd card etc

@all -Always reboot android phones once a week or fortnight with a 30 second battery pull and then restart your phone; this refreshes/controls many issues.
Thanks for this tip. Any reason why?
I am using a Desire HD since feb and very happy with its performance thusfar but off late getting the itch to root it even though I got the Gingerbread update done OTA, nothing great about it though.

My fear is I don't want to brick it. Does anyone have a link wherein the rooting process and loading custom ROM's is available in simple English?

Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 14:03   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
custom roms on android are prone to such issues; also many apps interfere; best is to keep the app-memory ratio at a healthy level and remove any useless app you dont need; people go overboard with apps on seeing the power of android...
I disagree - I have the same CM7. Till I put in a nightly version which screwed up things - life was awesome. I just had the alarms on everyday via the regular clock in CM7 - beta 5.1

He will need to check alot of things - the ringer, the repeat frequency etc etc - probably some trivial setting was left. The alarm is something which works out of the box all the time!!

btw, you have any ideas for my problem? Endless boot loop on Defy & unable to enter recovery to wipe.

what to do now?
Old 6th June 2011, 14:04   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thanks for this tip. Any reason why?
I am using a Desire HD since feb and very happy with its performance thusfar but off late getting the itch to root it even though I got the Gingerbread update done OTA, nothing great about it though.

My fear is I don't want to brick it. Does anyone have a link wherein the rooting process and loading custom ROM's is available in simple English?

Thanks
This refreshes the cache properly; but always wait for it to fully boot up after a battery pull; may take 2-3 minutes;

Desire HD Root - [GUIDE] How to root Desire HD (DHD) install h-boot (S-Off) and Clockwork recovery - xda-developers No, Rooting wont brick your phone, or any phone for that matter unless we are very very stupid; and in most cases the androids are 99.9% recoverable in the hands of a good techie.

Rooting is OK if you want to get into the skin of the os and would like to manage many other things on your own, otherwise for mere mortals who use the phone for normal day to day use, rooting wont make you Einstein...
Old 6th June 2011, 14:12   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I disagree

btw, you have any ideas for my problem? Endless boot loop on Defy & unable to enter recovery to wipe.

what to do now?
I have tried several roms and found many issues in many custom roms since the days of windows mobile. Its an opinion.

Moto's are a P-I-A due to stricter builds; There are several topics roaming on XDA for your issue. Did you try this -

Quote:
this is what solve the problem for me:
boot in recovery : pull out the battery, boot with volume down and power.

when you see the android and the triangle, volume down + volume up, when in recovery, wipe data and cache.

i have the following "warnings"
wipe data/factory reset:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/caller

wipe cache partition:

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

the next boot took approx 10 mins

hope this helps
Old 6th June 2011, 14:30   #3683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This refreshes the cache properly; but always wait for it to fully boot up after a battery pull; may take 2-3 minutes;

Desire HD Root - [GUIDE] How to root Desire HD (DHD) install h-boot (S-Off) and Clockwork recovery - xda-developers No, Rooting wont brick your phone, or any phone for that matter unless we are very very stupid; and in most cases the androids are 99.9% recoverable in the hands of a good techie.

Rooting is OK if you want to get into the skin of the os and would like to manage many other things on your own, otherwise for mere mortals who use the phone for normal day to day use, rooting wont make you Einstein...
Perfect. And my sentiments exactly, I am just a regular user but would love to try rooting the device to see what the fuss is all about.

And when you say androids are recoverable when bricked help calm my nerves.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:04   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried several roms and found many issues in many custom roms since the days of windows mobile. Its an opinion.

Moto's are a P-I-A due to stricter builds; There are several topics roaming on XDA for your issue. Did you try this -
Actually, I'd kindly suggest you revise it a bit. Defy with 2nd init and CM7 ported by Quarx is the 4th active CM7 distro. See CMStats - umts_jorden is 4th and climbing fast! Definitely something stable for it

Mostly you're right but CM7 is so makkhan. Atleast beta 5.1 was. Now on RC0! Looks nice so far - let's see!

I tried all of that - 3 reflashes countless reboots. Finally once it worked. Don't ask me how. Somehow the stupid recovery never came up!

My error was not wiping cache/factory reset before installing the nightly build. and i've learned my lesson - nightly builds are a no no!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 6th June 2011 at 15:19.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:24   #3685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Atleast beta 5.1 was. Now on RC0!

I tried all of that - 3 reflashes countless reboots. Finally once it worked. Don't ask me how. Somehow the stupid recovery never came up!

My error was not wiping cache/factory reset before installing the nightly build. and i've learned my lesson - nightly builds are a no no!!
You said it yourself.

There's one friend of mine who could solve your issue in a jiffy. Try contacting him if he replies - hetaldp@gmail.com . Take my reference. Another one mahaguru has left for the US; try him out too - mufaddalkm@gmail.com .
Old 6th June 2011, 15:55   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You said it yourself.

There's one friend of mine who could solve your issue in a jiffy. Try contacting him if he replies - hetaldp@gmail.com . Take my reference. Another one mahaguru has left for the US; try him out too - mufaddalkm@gmail.com .
Saved these emails. Multiple reboots had solved it.

Asked the same question about 5-6 times on XDA but got the same answer - reflash & try agian!
Old 6th June 2011, 17:04   #3687
BHPian

samsung galaxy 551 - Slider Qwerty phone for Rs.8400 & Samsung Galaxy pro Qwerty phone for Rs.9400 - both on ebay . Good deal ? any one seen better prices for these phones?
Old 6th June 2011, 17:05   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Yippee, got my phone a while ago. Took time to unpack and read the sparse instructions that came in the box.

As advised, I've preserved the box, but I do not see the battery number on it, though the bill does contain the IMEI number of the mobile.

At first I thought they did not send the wire for the charger plug, but a little later I found out that the plug has a socket for a USB cable. Neat idea, it looks like.

I've installed the sim and the battery, and also the back cover. Currently charging it, and will start using it in a few minutes.

As I've not got a response for 3 G plans, I guess I'll stick to GPRS and Edge till I gather concrete information.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:20   #3689
Senior - BHPian

The only practical 3G plan is the Rs 675 one. All others will explode on android

Welcome - in all chance the battery would be fully charged! Just drop an email to letsbuy with the battery scan/image/details - they will revert in a few days with the bill with battery number!
Old 6th June 2011, 17:29   #3690
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Has anyone used the Facebook Places Checkin Option on Andriod? I am unable to understand how to use it. Do I need to switch on my GPS in order to update my Checkin location? I tried doing it but the GPS doesnot seem to show the location. Am I doing something wrong here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks