Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 12:04   #3721
Senior - BHPian

Quick question

Guys - I may have asked this multiple times, and have trolled the WWW but still waiting for a concrete answer.

Can I downgrade to Froyo from Gingerbread / any other custom ROM (based on GB)?

AFAIK, in Nokia and Blackberry, it's VERY difficult (nearly impossible) to move down a version.

I dont want to end up bricking my phone, but still am curious enough to try out custom ROMs.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:05   #3722
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
My darling EVO 3D releasing on 24th June on Sprint US (CDMA); our user group will be the first one to get it here and hack it for Reliance... Supposedly the best phone in the world (for now)
No offense to anyone, but their features list looks similar to Hyundai features list.. They could have given a miss to all those trivial features that is common to all Androids (even my humble p500) ! 3D is surely interesting though.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:09   #3723
Senior - BHPian

^
buddy, no offence, but when you will hold this phone in your hand and compare it to p500 then your will find a world of difference. Kindly go through international forums to read the buzz this 3d device is creating; Its half life will be 3 month's (as with all newer devices) but it will reign supreme during that period.

@nishant - u can safely rollback to any version with proper procedure
Old 7th June 2011, 12:18   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
IIRC, this is for 2.2.2. But I had got this update about a month back.
No noticeable changes that I can recollect.
Can you confirm if you are on 2.2.1?

The "about phone" section has below details:
andriod version: 2.2.1
kernel version:2.6.32.9 (..wed dec 8...)
build number:FRG83
software version:V10c-DEC-08-2010

so time to upgrade?

Edit: saw this link:
http://www.differencebetween.com/dif...android-2-2-2/

Last edited by chetans : 7th June 2011 at 12:21. Reason: adding link
Old 7th June 2011, 12:22   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Guys, any ideas on where to get the cheapest price for S2 in Delhi/Noida/Gurgaon/Online... And what price?
I am sailing in the same boat.
Gurus !! please advise...

The cheapest I see it on the net is for 29k !!
Old 7th June 2011, 12:27   #3726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
I am sailing in the same boat.
Gurus !! please advise...

The cheapest I see it on the net is for 29k !!
Here's how (by our good old Rajan Mehta) -

Quote:
Here it is... It's the lowest available online now..

Now the expected delivery schedule is 2nd week of June on most online sellers like Letsbuy, Flipkart.

One can have Samsung Galaxy S II phone at Rs. 27,290 with delivery at the same time around 2nd week on June. Here is how?

On Indiaplaza, it is listed for sale at Rs. 29,990 here Samsung Galaxy S2 16GB | Buy mobile | Indiaplaza

Indiaplaza has a scheme of gift vouchers you can buy where it gives you 110% of the value you paid for redeeming while buying any item there Gift Certificates

Now you need to buy 1 Gift Certificate of Rs. 25,000 and 1 Gift Certificate of Rs. 2,000. For a total of Rs. 27,000, it will give you redeem value of Rs. 29,700. So if Galaxy S II is bought from there, pay Rs. 29,700 by Gift Certificate & rest Rs. 290 by Credit Card/Online.

Effective Net Price of Samsung Galaxy II comes to Rs. 27,290 this way.

Be forewarned though, Indiaplaza has got a reputation for delayed shipments sometimes.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 12:45   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy S Gingerbread update is available thru' Kies in India. Has anyone tried updating it? The kies on my laptop wouldn't download the firmware at all. Every time it downloads about 30% or 40% of the firmware I get the operation time out error.

Has anyone faced a similar problem? Any other way to get the update on to my fone?
Old 7th June 2011, 12:54   #3728
Distinguished - BHPian

I find all these unboxing videos so funny. The box of Galaxy S2- well its a little too squarish, almost similar to the original galaxy S. The cardboard used is good and black colour. At the back they have given the description ( zoom into super amoled plus logo). WTH? Its so silly.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:09   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
buddy, no offence, but when you will hold this phone in your hand and compare it to p500 then your will find a world of difference. Kindly go through international forums to read the buzz this 3d device is creating; Its half life will be 3 month's (as with all newer devices) but it will reign supreme during that period.
No offence taken. I am not even comparing it with p500. I just felt that for a phone so advanced, it probably was obvious to have those features and to list them so elaborately was kind of underestimating the users who go for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
The "about phone" section has below details:
andriod version: 2.2.1
kernel version:2.6.32.9 (..wed dec 8...)
build number:FRG83
software version:V10c-DEC-08-2010

so time to upgrade?

Edit: saw this link:
Difference Between Android 2.2.1 and Android 2.2.2 | Difference Between | Android 2.2.1 vs Android 2.2.2
I tried to find this list when I did the upgrade, but couldn't get at the time. It seems that there is just one bug fix moving from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2. In any case I do remember my RAM usage was better after 2.2.2 though I really can't say whether it was entirely due to the upgrade or due to other reasons. But it didn't break anything, so you can give a try.

If you want to go even advanced, you can now root p500 and get one of the custom roms - I have CM7. You can search this thread for links on how to do it.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:18   #3730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Galaxy S Gingerbread update is available thru' Kies in India.
Mission Accomplished! Just had to run Kies as Administrator and it was done. Relatively easy job! Do give it a try.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:27   #3731
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
That's nice details about Dell XCD 35 & Letsbuy discount codes you have gathered.

Odd as it may sound between HTC, Samsung & LG's, there is a new kid on the block in high end androids ticking all the boxes at a very good price. That is just launched Spice Mi-410 at MRP of Rs 13,999. It's a rebadged Huawei X6 targetted at High End Android users but with a competitive price. X6 has been launched in few countries with different carriers/brands. This launch price is online from Saholic, a spice group venture Spice Mi-410 | Spice Mobile Phones | Saholic.com Expect the street prices to be even lower in few days.
;
;

Can be considered for an aspiring android user interested in having everything but at a low price.
This device has hooked me. I have been reading about this, and except 2.3, its seriously lacking in nothing, for the price band its being offered! That too, it has HDMI out!!

A few queries to users( existing owner of this may plz post their views)

1> 2.2 is vanilla Google OS. no sense/ touchwiz wizardry i think?
2> how is the WVGA display? Is it having a Million colors/ 256K?
3> I hope they wont bundle it with a spice SIM card pre-loaded. I dont want that

thanks,
Abhishek M

Last edited by e46 : 7th June 2011 at 13:42. Reason: query
Old 7th June 2011, 15:23   #3732
BHPian

Awright Ladies and Germs..

I Got it... I Got it.... I GOT IT !!

My S2 just got delivered... Unpacked to ensure everything in intact in the package... Got the Phone (Sealed box), Its Bill, the Free Bluetooth Headset (HM1000), the MoLife Fit-to-use Case, MoLife Screen Guard. Only the HDMI cable is left out. Should be here very soon

Charging the phone for the first time. Will start playing once I reach home from work in the evening, and get back with my impressions...

First thought, My God is Huge and Gorgeous and Sleek and Light..... Compared to my current Nokia N86 8MP..

Edit: The Sealed Box is not a slim-trim box that I have seen in the unboxing videos. Its a Fairly large box with all contents nicely spaced out. Will upload some pics tonight.

Last edited by Zenster : 7th June 2011 at 15:52.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:30   #3733
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^ Wow Thanks for the INDIAPLAZA tip. Had no idea, that people go into this sort of machinations to buy a phone. But, definitely makes a lot of sense.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:53   #3734
Senior - BHPian

Do post your observations on upgrading to GB. I have a galaxy S and im looking forward to your inputs, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Mission Accomplished! Just had to run Kies as Administrator and it was done. Relatively easy job! Do give it a try.
Old 7th June 2011, 16:26   #3735
BHPian

hi Team,

does anybody has any update on when the Sony Xperia Mini /Pro HD will be out. I heard it will be 3Q, but is it out in other markets (US/Europe)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks