Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 16:17   #5221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Slightly off-topic, hope this will be of use to some of you.

I was looking for a solution to know my home router's WAN IP while I am away, so that I can connect to my PC for different purposes, including a remote desktop session from my Android phone as discussed in this thread before.

There are some sites available where you can register and you can edit your WiFi routers's (WiFi modem) settings to have your IP sent to them, so that you can always access your home IP with the URL provided by them.

Since I didn't want to reveal my IP to a third party who maps it to a URL, I wrote my own application to e-mail my IP to myself, whenever there's a change.

You get e-mail notification only when your IP changes. Restarting the application won't send an e-mail again if the IP hasn't changed. I am already running it, and now I can always connect to my home PC taking the IP from my gmail. The app also acts as a logger of all the external IP's you've used so that you have a list of IP addresses assigned to you over time.

Attaching the app and the config file. Config file contains information on how to use this program.

Release1.10.zip
For windows users only.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th July 2011 at 16:36.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 18:40   #5222
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone noticed that Letsbuy has dropped price of Samsung Galaxy S i9000 to 20999 k (that means a mouth watering 18900 with coupon).

http://www.letsbuy.com/samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-p-14203

The only concern is that its running on Eclair. Is it upgradable to Froyo at Samsung Service centers?

EDIT: Read in other forums that even official Gingerbread is available for this phone. True ?

Last edited by DCEite : 30th July 2011 at 18:47.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:23   #5223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Has anyone noticed that Letsbuy has dropped price of Samsung Galaxy S i9000 to 20999 k (that means a mouth watering 18900 with coupon).

Buy Samsung Galaxy S I9000 (Metallic Black) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

The only concern is that its running on Eclair. Is it upgradable to Froyo at Samsung Service centers?

EDIT: Read in other forums that even official Gingerbread is available for this phone. True ?

Yes,you can upgrade it to Gingerbread in you computer itself.Just Install samsung kies and it will nofify you if any upgrade is available.

The price is really mouth watering.I just brought a I9003 for 18000 from lets buy in may. Feeling like killing myself now! AMOLED+Better graphic processor+_16 GB memory for just 1 K more is a steal!! God,why do prices drop so rapidly as soon as we buy the stuff?
Old 30th July 2011, 22:39   #5224
BHPian

Guys, Need your help please. From today afternoon onwards my galaxy sl is showing this screen. There are no unread messages but it shows one unread message in desktop. Is it a sw bug? How can we get rid of it?
Attached Images

Old 30th July 2011, 22:48   #5225
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
God,why do prices drop so rapidly as soon as we buy the stuff?
This might be due to the expected launch of the Galaxy R. The GS might well decrease in price further and then the SL might then come below the 15K mark.

Samsung Galaxy R Specifications:

4.19 inch WVGA Super Clear LCD
1 Ghz Tegra 2 Dual Core Application Processor
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) OS
Samsung TouchWiz 4.0 UI
5 megaixel camera with AF and LED Flash
1.3 megapixel front-facing camera
HD (720p) video recording
Full HD (1080p) video playback
Old 31st July 2011, 04:21   #5226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes,you can upgrade it to Gingerbread in you computer itself.Just Install samsung kies and it will nofify you if any upgrade is available.

The price is really mouth watering.I just brought a I9003 for 18000 from lets buy in may. Feeling like killing myself now! AMOLED+Better graphic processor+_16 GB memory for just 1 K more is a steal!! God,why do prices drop so rapidly as soon as we buy the stuff?
I used to have the same feeling with my computers. Do what i do, stop checking prices after you buy(1 year).
Old 31st July 2011, 05:15   #5227
BHPian

Alright Fellas, For the benefit of all SGS2 owners running XXKG1 (2.3.4), here are a few pointers for Rooting, CMW Install, Themes etc.

Please bear in mind that all of the below is based on Trial and Error done by me with great assistance from @Invisible.

(I had some issues with Market FC with com.android.vending error, which eventually got worse and practically everything started giving me FC errors. It took a couple of trials to eliminate the cause and to correct the issues)

1. Read this thread to get an understanding of the ODIN procedure (Theory before Practicals ): [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF3/KF4/KF3/KG1/KG2 download and Root Guide. - xda-developers

2. If the phone is stock (KE8/KF2/KF3 2.3.3 builds), then use this link to upgrade to the latest official ROM: How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 to Gingerbread XXKG1 2.3.4 Firmware | Android Advices

3. Once XXKG1 is installed, use the following link to download ChainFire's CF-Root Kernel. This is a insecure kernel which has Root/SU permissions granted and ClockWorkMod (CMW) Recovery installed. This Kernel eliminates the need of the previously used 3-step process of installing insecure Kernel, Using SuperOneClick to root and installing CMW: [25.07.2011][CF-Root v4.1] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1/2/3 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers

Doing this had me all set with the latest official ROM, with Root/SU permissions and CMW Installed. Now CMW Recovery mode can be used to installed various mods (For e.g: I have tried a couple of themes (these were the cause of FC Errors, so beware), and FullScreen Caller ID Mod)

Hope this process helps simplifies and clarifies the process to the newer Android Users like me

P.S: One more tip that I have learnt over the past 1.5 months of Android usage, use Google Search for all queries, issues and even Apps (One can get all APKs online with ease, trust me )

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2011 at 12:02. Reason: No more than 2 smilies please
Old 31st July 2011, 07:08   #5228
TOR
BHPian

Android phones are surely having an effect on non-android devices:

Have a look at the price of the HTC-HD7 at flipkart.

Thats around 17K for:

-4.3inch S-LCD display
-1Ghz processor
-5MP cam with 720P
-16GB storage
-Dolby Surround & SRS Sound support.

Thats amazing value !!
Old 31st July 2011, 13:10   #5229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hi guys,
I know someone who wants to buy a Japanese Softbank branded HTC Desire HD.
The phone is absolutely clean and it was used for barely a week or so.

The soft buttons on the phone do not seem to work, the back and search button function fine but the menu and home keys don't. I can't even seem to get any haptic feedback for these 2 keys. As a result i am unable to use these 2 buttons.

The other issue I've seen is the phone came with only Japanese alphanumeric keypad, but without a working GPRS connection I cannot install any qwery keypads from the market.

My bro is smitten by the phone and he does not want to let go of it as he's getting it for a song. I am sure I've not missed out on any setting as I use a Desire HD myself, is there any settings that I am missing?

Thanks in advance.
Guys, any help please? I looked up on XDA developers but could not come across anything?

As of now I've returned the phone back, I hope its not a simple solution for this that I over looked.

Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 13:17   #5230
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I tried the firmware update today, but it says i have the latest update. I am on 2.2.2.
Finally updated to 2.3.3 Gingerbread. through another method. If anyone interested follow the below procedure.

Name:  snap20110731_125828.png
Views: 793
Size:  103.4 KB Name:  snap20110731_125832.png
Views: 730
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  snap20110731_125839.png
Views: 711
Size:  29.7 KB Name:  snap20110731_125846.png
Views: 767
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  snap20110731_125949.png
Views: 849
Size:  40.1 KB

First of all you need to download the Gingerbread 2.3.3 firmware from below.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/WEBSW/...00/V20E_00.kdz

Then download the firmware updating software KDZ_firmware_updater and extract it to a folder. Install msxml.msi on your windows pc by double clicking it.

Connect your LG Optimus One and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe without turning on USB storage on your phone.

In the software window, select Type as 3GQCT
Select PhoneMode as DIAG

In the place where you have to give path for KDZ file, select the Firmware a.k.a ROM you have downloaded using the link you made for your country specific firmware.

Press Launch software update and wait for about 10 minutes. The screen will then say “Emergency mode”. Just wait and let it reboot.
Don’t unplug the USB cable until the setup has finished.

After everything has finished, switch on your phone. Your LG Optimus One will have the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread firmware you installed! Enjoy Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread.

Warning: Flashing may brick your device so do this all at your own risk.

Source

Last edited by wildon : 31st July 2011 at 13:26.
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 17:54   #5231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guys, Need your help please. From today afternoon onwards my galaxy sl is showing this screen. There are no unread messages but it shows one unread message in desktop. Is it a sw bug? How can we get rid of it?
I think it's a bug.. happens on my SGS2 all the time.
Old 31st July 2011, 21:23   #5232
BHPian

Think it's a steal, get it an put android on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Android phones are surely having an effect on non-android devices:

Have a look at the price of the HTC-HD7 at flipkart.
Thats around 17K for:

-4.3inch S-LCD display
-1Ghz processor
-5MP cam with 720P
-16GB storage
-Dolby Surround & SRS Sound support.

Thats amazing value !!

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2011 at 11:37. Reason: Removing image from quoted post to maintain easy readability
Old 31st July 2011, 21:52   #5233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

A new Firmware upgrade is available for I9003 .Connect to kies and update your phone.It will solve the above problem.

The latest Indian Firmware build for I9003 is FROYO DDKF1.The improvements i found are
-> GPS locks in within 10 seconds if clear sky is present.Before it used to take more than 2 mins

->Battery life has increased by 25-30%

->Display is more smooth to scroll.

->Phone never hangs now even when running multiple apps.

->All the issues that i have mentioned out in my post a few threads back have been ironed out.

->All in all a drastic improvement over the previous versions.
Old 31st July 2011, 23:32   #5234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
SAR: I bought Samurai's logic here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2323990

The phone can get hot if you try and OC it too much. I've done that and gone cycling in 43 deg C which heated it up quite a bit. Other than that, it doesn't heat up - no android phone should heat up in normal usage with the right settings.
Well, my E51 has a SAR rating of 1.4 and if I have a call lasting 15-20 minutes at a stretch, the phone does get hot and I can feel slight pain in my ear.
This surely indicates that the radiation is significant.
I wonder if you ever had a similar experience with such long calls.
Old 1st August 2011, 00:05   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Well, my E51 has a SAR rating of 1.4 and if I have a call lasting 15-20 minutes at a stretch, the phone does get hot and I can feel slight pain in my ear.
This surely indicates that the radiation is significant.
I wonder if you ever had a similar experience with such long calls.
I had a E63 which was as bad - used it for 2-3 hour long conference calls. never an issue.

Even now, often 40-90 mins calls happen daily. never an issue.

YMMV ofc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks