Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 12:55   #5971
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
So I would like to know are there any android phones out there(except HTC Chacha)which have a physical keyboard?
Swype is what you are looking for. But for qwerty keyboard - Motorola Fire, charm, HTC chacha,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Anyway have the jig just in case
Does this involve removing the mobo from the phone? I suppose this is what is called "jtag", right?
Old 30th September 2011, 15:30   #5972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Swype is what you are looking for. But for qwerty keyboard - Motorola Fire, charm, HTC chacha,

Does this involve removing the mobo from the phone? I suppose this is what is called "jtag", right?
No nothing of that kind just connect it via usb here is the link
UNBrick Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Download Mode USB Jig | eBay
Old 30th September 2011, 16:48   #5973
Senior - BHPian

@Invisible.

Got to give it to you man. Love the revolution ROM. The zapping android animation is more than enough for me.

But on a serious note, the screen is smooth and the fonts are all i wanted.

For all android rooter who always think twice before using Wipe version here is a small tip.

- Take a nandroid back up
- Install a fullwipe version of any ROM.
- After installion, just go to back up restore in CWM, chose restore, Advance and just restore the Data.
- Everything including your wall paper, sms, call logs, email connections, strings , passwords are installed without you needing to restart everything.

Only change you will notice or see is that the phone now uses a different Rom.
Old 30th September 2011, 16:57   #5974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Has anyone tried using the Video Calling application "Vtok"

This is an application that is a substitute to Gtalk. It enables Video Calling on phones that do not have support of Video calling on native Gtalk.
How to Enable Google Gtalk Video & Audio on Galaxy S | Android Advices

You can check this link to download the Gtalk Voice and video chat enabled application on your phone. However, it works only on Gingerbread 2.3+ versions. I have installed it, yet to use it. Your phone also needs to be rooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
No nothing of that kind just connect it via usb here is the link
UNBrick Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Download Mode USB Jig | eBay
This is available on Dealextreme for 1.6$ (Rs. 80) incl shipping.
Unbrick Download 301K USB Mode JIG for Samsung T959/I9000/I897/M110S/I8700/I9100 - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

But you may have to wait for 2-4 weeks for it to arrive.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2011 at 14:11. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 30th September 2011, 17:07   #5975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For all android rooter who always think twice before using Wipe version here is a small tip.

- After installion, just go to back up restore in CWM, chose restore, Advance and just restore the Data.
- Everything including your wall paper, sms, call logs, email connections, strings , passwords are installed without you needing to restart everything.

This is a very unreliable method if you are switching between Android versions. The new ROM will most probably end up in boot loops. The safer method is to back up only user apps into Titanium back up and restore that. If you try to back up and restore system data, like a contact storage, it may still give you issues - I faced it while migrating from CM7.1 to MIUI. Moreover, you don't have any control over which all apps you want to restore and which not. For example, I had GO Launcher, Go SMS and Go notifications in installed in CM7, all of which will be useless in MIUI because it has all these and more by default.

Earlier when I migrated from HTC Sense based 2.2 to CM7 which is 2.3, I did not even restore any apps using any of these back up methods. I installed all apps afresh from market.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th September 2011 at 17:09.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:06   #5976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Invisible.

Got to give it to you man. Love the revolution ROM. The zapping android animation is more than enough for me.

But on a serious note, the screen is smooth and the fonts are all i wanted.

Once the Leomar works with the Jkay mod v11 there will be many more option in the kitchen app to choose from specially some of the themes and the transparent dialer.

The other back up options as Clevermax suggested :
One can always make use of Titanium backup for apps, sms log, call logs, contacts, apps and others. I always do complete wipe before installing the Rom, install the new rom, download titanium app from the market and install all whats required again. No issues what so ever.
Old 30th September 2011, 23:52   #5977
Senior - BHPian

Re: MIUI - Initial impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
After few months of CM7 usage, I got bored and flashed MIUI 1.9.23 based on 2.3.5 Gingerbread.

Here are few screenshots.
Attachment 818512
My MIUI journey continues. I came across a very interesting feature - I was playing a song and it started showing the lyrics and to my surprise, started taking me through the lyrics by highlighting the lines that are being sung! Check the screenshot.

Name:  screenshot_5.png
Views: 422
Size:  186.6 KB

In GTalk, I can now voice chat - it is a default feature - check the call button against some online contacts

Name:  screenshot_7.png
Views: 429
Size:  40.8 KB

There is a 'Guard' mode which is like a guest mode where calls and Sms are hidden and icons are locked - useful if you are handing over the phone to someone who wants to check it out.

Built in firewall to prevent apps from stealing 3G / edge bandwidth

Built in call filter, sms filter etc.

Lot of themes which makes the UI very different than original one.

Reject a call with an sms - very useful

Battery drain problem with MIUI seems to be resolved, my phone is easily lasting a day with heavy usage.

Very detailed battery usage statistics, you can turn off battery monitoring as well.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th September 2011 at 23:59.
Old 1st October 2011, 13:21   #5978
Senior - BHPian

I am getting a new market look. Is this my ROM or the market just got a facelift?
Attached Images

Old 1st October 2011, 13:25   #5979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am getting a new market look. Is this my ROM or the market just got a facelift?
This is a market update (ver3.xx), been doing the rounds for a while on XDA. It is included by default on recent MIUI updates (on XJ mod at least).

Last edited by Puneet.S : 1st October 2011 at 13:29.
Old 1st October 2011, 13:33   #5980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
Think they have changed it. I am getting it since last two days.
Old 1st October 2011, 14:08   #5981
BANNED

I am getting the new look market for almost one month. THis arrives about 2/3 days after update from Froyo to Gingerbread; and comes uninvited, unannounced and is uncontrollable.

I hate this new look; it is bandwidth hungry.
Old 1st October 2011, 17:41   #5982
Senior - BHPian

For one who wants to use the old market app go down Settings > Application > All > market > and click on uninstall update and you'l have the old market back. I have faced connection issues few times with the new market whereas the old one works flawlessly on SGS2.

Last edited by Invinsible : 1st October 2011 at 17:44.
Old 1st October 2011, 17:51   #5983
BHPian

How do you close an app on android?

I mean, say you open the browser and do your stuff. Once you are done, how do u close the applicaton to ensure it does not squat on the resources it's using. No Windows-style 'X' is to be seen anywhere
Old 1st October 2011, 18:22   #5984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide
How do you close an app on android?

I mean, say you open the browser and do your stuff. Once you are done, how do u close the applicaton to ensure it does not squat on the resources it's using. No Windows-style 'X' is to be seen anywhere
The back button works as exit for most apps. For others such as the internet browser, u can go to the task manager and exit. The task manager may be builtin or u may have to install a 3rd party manager.
Old 1st October 2011, 18:35   #5985
BHPian

I posted my query in the mobile phone thread and was directed to this thread, can the experts share their advice/opinion to help me decide.

"
I am in a dilemma between HTC sensation and Samsung S2, I have gone through some reviews and Samsung S2 is the winner in most of them, at the same time HTC Sensation is the winner in looks and also the Sense UI it offers. It is going to be my first Android phone and I am not averse to modding/rooting if it helps improve the touch and feel along with better functionality/usage.

Can the experts and HTC/Samsung owners give their views and recommendations to help me decide and choose.

Appreciate your help as always."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks