Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:49   #5896
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I miss my Galaxy S, it was sold couple of months ago. The phone was an addiction and had to try out all that i could on it. It was stable at 1.25GHz (at 1.3GHz it wasn't) without getting unnaturally hot, i kept it at 1.2Ghz (used Tegrak). Tried out different ROMs but in the end settled for stock Gigngerbread with chainfire kernel. Didn't try CM7 as the stable build didn't come out then. The phone was very fast and overclocked to 1.2Ghz was consistently getting Quadrant scores above 2900.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-p6200861.jpg

Right now i use a Sony Ericsson Cedar
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:44   #5897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Also, is there an app which determines when to switch off and on wifi on base of location? Eg. If i move out of my home, i would like it to auto switch off and when i arrive at work, it should turn on.

Any app for that?
Invisible had posted an app few pages back for this, here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2490987
gr8guzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:07   #5898
Senior - BHPian

Happy with my SGS2. I am getting 1 day+ battery life constantly with everything stock, and WiFi etc. manually turned off. The talktime is great - I have been talking for 5+ hours every day. Talking doesn't affect battery life much. The screen/GPS/synch etc. are the big drainers.
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:10   #5899
Senior - BHPian

For the last one week my LG Optimus One P500 goes to Air Plane mode SIM gets blocked atleast 3-4 times a day. Needs to switch off to get back to normal mode everytime. What is the issue?
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:45   #5900

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Also, is there an app which determines when to switch off and on wifi on base of location? Eg. If i move out of my home, i would like it to auto switch off and when i arrive at work, it should turn on.

Any app for that?
try Llama - been using it and performs well.
gour.vijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:50   #5901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
appy with my SGS2. I am getting 1 day+ battery life constantly with everything stock, and WiFi etc. manually turned off. The talktime is great - I have been talking for 5+ hours every day. Talking doesn't affect battery life much. The screen/GPS/synch etc. are the big drainers.
Enjoy the phone. And the purpose of having that phone is use that screen and features it comes with.

Try rooting and moving to some ROM's that are very stable and provide excellent battery improvement while using WIfi, Games and Data sync as well.

12 Hours is all i want out of this phone so i can just abuse it.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:14   #5902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

Any app for that?
Its called Llama. Pretty useful. HOwever, I have observed that if it depends upon Cell phone tower for profile status change, its sometimes not too reliable. When only on time schedule profile change, its pretty spot on.

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2011 at 23:24. Reason: Fixing quote tag
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:42   #5903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
For the last one week my LG Optimus One P500 goes to Air Plane mode SIM gets blocked atleast 3-4 times a day. Needs to switch off to get back to normal mode everytime. What is the issue?
Is your phone on Froyo or Gingerbread? Gingerbread rollout for Optimus One is being said to be buggy.

If this is happening on Froyo take a backup of your data and do a factory reset. It might solve the problem.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:10   #5904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Enjoy the phone. And the purpose of having that phone is use that screen and features it comes with.
Thanks. But my basket of wants is somewhat different. High talk-time is important to me - I often work from home, and do conference calls on my mobile.

My company mails work on Lotus/Domino. So till I get things set up on my phone, I am not using the SGS2 for checking official emails. And till that happens, I am happy with periodic synching. The world won't end if I receive a social media update or a personal email a few minutes late.

Also, first few days I played with the phone a lot. After that, it is back to normal routine. And the stock ROM is sufficient for the time being. Let's see...

Planning to buy the Samsung car kit for fixing on the windscreen. But I have Vkool sunfilm. Has anyone fixed anything on sunfilm? Does it hold, and does the sunfilm start peeling?

Not planning to change the stock audio setup on my vehicle yet. Would have loved a bluetooth setup. But not that important at the moment. Will wait for the 2012 Fortuner to come so that I can go for its HU.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:23   #5905
Senior - BHPian

The phone doesnt use much battery on talk time. I found that the SGS2 uses more battery on WIFI, 3G and mainly screen. If your screen is heating up during a call that means the proximity sensor is off.

My major use is as you exactly said. With stock rom i had to recharge everyday around 9PM. With the rooted rom(Batista now) i get close to a day and till around 2PM.

For your information the phone is syned with 2 gmails, outlook(atleast 100mails a day), facebook, gtlak and still i get 1.5 days. So in a way our experimentation is to help you folks take the jump and enjoy why we chose android over IOS hehehe.
Old 24th September 2011, 10:07   #5906
Senior - BHPian

Any galaxy SL i9003 users here?

I got my fone about 2 weeks ago and it has come pre loaded with 2.2. Froyo. I checked through kies and NO GB update is available. My friend picked up Galaxy Ace yesterday and his phone came pre loaded with 2.3.4 GB.

I want to learn / understand how can I upgrade the Galaxy Slcd i9003 to GB. Also what advantages I am looking at? I have tried to understand terms like rooting and flashing, but all seem pretty alien to me.

Thanks a lot to all.
Old 24th September 2011, 11:04   #5907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also what advantages I am looking at? I have tried to understand terms like rooting and flashing, but all seem pretty alien to me
Froyo vs Gingerbread is a different discussion. GB is far more refined than Froyo giving better battery life and better feel of the OS.

Regarding Rooting, i think for i9003 if there are not official GB upgrade, you can root and get the GB through one of the roms.

Usually custom roms are just open source codes created from original rom where developers try their luck on fine tuning how system is designed.

Like if there is a process running 24/7 in stock mode, the custom developers may re-design that architecture to run the service when invoked and thus making the system good on battery life.

SImilarly some themes and applications may require root access to get the best out of the phone. SetCPu is one such app that lets you play with the processor speed and thus eliminating heat, battery usage etc.

I am having a SGS2 running in IK4 2.3.4 GB on Batista Custom rom. The difference i see is the speed at which the phone now operates. The browser is just damn fast on wifi and the whole phone operates so smooth which i may never get in stock.

Hope this helps.
Old 25th September 2011, 08:56   #5908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Any galaxy SL i9003 users here?

I got my fone about 2 weeks ago and it has come pre loaded with 2.2. Froyo. I checked through kies and NO GB update is available. My friend picked up Galaxy Ace yesterday and his phone came pre loaded with 2.3.4 GB.

I want to learn / understand how can I upgrade the Galaxy Slcd i9003 to GB. Also what advantages I am looking at? I have tried to understand terms like rooting and flashing, but all seem pretty alien to me.

Thanks a lot to all.
Galaxy S I9003 Android Development - xda-developers

[I9003][ROM] STOCK ROMS for GALAXY SL I9003 {NOW GINGERBREAD 2.3.4} - xda-developers

please refer the above two forums. it has plethora of info. flashing a rom is very easy. The second link has download link to GB. Download it, take back up of your phone and flash it using Odin v1.82 or better. You can think of rooting it later. Use the stock rom for sometime and see if you like it.

go through this FAQ. Will help you a lot

[i9003][FAQ] Read this first! - xda-developers
Old 25th September 2011, 17:34   #5909
BHPian

Folks has anyone upgraded their galaxy s i9000 from 2.2 to the latest version available? i have been trying through kies and it takes a lot of time. Can someone guide me on this pls?
Old 25th September 2011, 22:22   #5910
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks has anyone upgraded their galaxy s i9000 from 2.2 to the latest version available? i have been trying through kies and it takes a lot of time. Can someone guide me on this pls?

No substitute for patience. No patience = bricked phone. It is as simple as that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks