Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2011, 20:57   #5986
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Windride

Dont bother. Android cleans up apps in the background. Search up the thread if u wanna know more.

Shanky,

Its completely your choice. My personal belief is on the Sensation but I know far too many folks who've bought the SGS2 and are very happy and have modded the look/feel completely as well. Its screen and outright performance is simply incomparable!

So its not something to worry about, honestly. The performance from both is more than enough for the next couple of years.

Choose the one you LIKE - phones are as much a heart decision as a 'spec' decision!
Old 1st October 2011, 21:17   #5987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
How do you close an app on android?

I mean, say you open the browser and do your stuff. Once you are done, how do u close the applicaton to ensure it does not squat on the resources it's using. No Windows-style 'X' is to be seen anywhere
Don't worry about closing, but if you insist that your browser should have a close button, user Miren browser.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:27   #5988
Senior - BHPian

CM7 users - how to move your apps to ext3 in sdcard

Hurray! 400th Page!

If you are using CM7 and having trouble with phone memory running out of space after you install a bare minimum set of apps from market, then you have the option to truly have plenty of space in your sdcard for apps.

Q. I have the option to move apps from phone to sdcard, won't this be fine enough?

A: No. Merely moving apps to sdcard will not move an app entirely to sdcard. Some app components and data will still be there in phone memory and eventually phone memory will get full anyway. Plus, the apps moved in that way get moved to the FAT32 partition in the card to a folder called .android_secure and not to a separate partition.

Q. So how to go about it?
A. Follow these steps if you already are using CM7.

1. Install Titanium Backup and backup all user (apps you installed from market) apps
2. Uninstall all user apps
3. Take your SD card out, and plug it in laptop - copy everything on it as a back up to hard disk - u need it later
4. Put the SD card back in phone, run app ROM Manager to format it (alternatively you can use your Linux PC or other apps which does partitioning)
5. Create a FAT32 partition first, but do not use all the space in the card. Leave about 512 MB un-partitioned
6. Create an ext3 partition with that 512 MB space, it should mount as sd-ext

7. Install S2E app from market. More info here: S2E (simple2ext) | Krikun.Ru
8. Choose to install apps and data to in sd-ext
9. Reflash with the same CM7 build you have now, without wiping - this won't delete anything.
10. After reboot, run S2E and check whether app location and data location is pointing to sd card sd-ext mount
11. Goto app settings and select the option to install apps to phone memory by default
12 Run titanium backup and restore user apps as a bartch operation - try restoring 3 or 4 apps at first and run S2E and see sd-ext space is being reduced and not internal memory. If ext3 space is getting reduced, it means you have success.
13. Restore all remaining user apps from Titanium backup.
14. Copy all data back from laptop to the new FAT32 partition in SD card.

Now you have all the apps moved to sd-ext mount but phone considers it as internal memory. You don't have to manually move any app to sdcard again.

Note: Rooted users with other ROMs also can do this, only thing is instead of S2E, you may need to find an alternative app or script which will do the necessary permissions fix and other changes to have sd-ext recognized as app storage and data storage.

I am an MIUI user now and I don't feel like going back to the bare minimum CM7 ROM again.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd October 2011 at 10:43.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:53   #5989
BHPian

The ndrive india map on my LG optimus one is of 2010 vintage. I believe there is a newer Mar 2011 update to it.

How do i update the map?
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:46   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Dont bother. Android cleans up apps in the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Don't worry about closing, but if you insist that your browser should have a close button, user Miren browser.
Its reassuring the OS is keeping track of these things. But since i prefer to keep things tidy around me, so iam now going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Running (tab) and 'force shut' the app i want to shutdown. May not continue to do this in future since its too tedious to do it each time i launch an app.

Quote:
The ndrive india map on my LG optimus one is of 2010 vintage. I believe there is a newer Mar 2011 update to it.

How do i update the map?
No one?
Basically i want to know if i can just download the latest maps and use it with the older ndrive app that's already licensed.

Last edited by WindRide : 3rd October 2011 at 11:47.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:50   #5991
Senior - BHPian

Guys, having problems with my SGS2.

Not being able to turn on my Wifi. The wifi turns on for 4-5 secs and automatically turns off without connecting.

I had upgraded to 2.3.5 using samfirmware.com link and thought that the upgrade caused the problem, but now am back to the original 2.3.3 and the problem still exists.

Any ideas?
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:02   #5992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its reassuring the OS is keeping track of these things. But since i prefer to keep things tidy around me, so iam now going to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Running (tab) and 'force shut' the app i want to shutdown. May not continue to do this in future since its too tedious to do it each time i launch an app.
Oh that's a pain to do it like that every time! Install Go Launcher and you can open app drawer to slide to running apps and tap on the app icon to kill it. Go launcher also has a widget which allows you to do this right from the home screen by a single tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Guys, having problems with my SGS2.
Not being able to turn on my Wifi. The wifi turns on for 4-5 secs and automatically turns off without connecting.
I had upgraded to 2.3.5 using samfirmware.com link and thought that the upgrade caused the problem, but now am back to the original 2.3.3 and the problem still exists.
Any ideas?
Did you upgrade your radio firmware along with new 2.3.5?

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd October 2011 at 12:13.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:09   #5993
Senior - BHPian

General question to all Android phone owners:

What anti-malware/ security applications are you using to safeguard your Android phone (and the data on it)?
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:12   #5994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

What anti-malware/ security applications are you using to safeguard your Android phone (and the data on it)?
None of the Android users I know are using any anti-virus or similar applications. Does an Android need one?
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:38   #5995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
None of the Android users I know are using any anti-virus or similar applications. Does an Android need one?
Not unless you trust every application writer whose apps you download. Most of our Android phones, especially the rooted ones are very vulnerable to hacking.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:05   #5996
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Quote:
Why take risk? i use ESET Mobile Security and its free too.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:25   #5997
Team-BHP Support

Check this: Massive Security Vulnerability In HTC Android Devices (EVO 3D, 4G, Thunderbolt, Others) Exposes Phone Numbers, GPS, SMS, Emails Addresses, Much More
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:59   #5998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not unless you trust every application writer whose apps you download. Most of our Android phones, especially the rooted ones are very vulnerable to hacking.
Since we usually add only trusted apps to the list of apps requesting root access, it will be generally safe. Any app other than what's in this list has to request root permissions and you will get a prompt to allow or deny that right?

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-shot.png
We can turn off requests to root access as well, as can be seen in the screenshot.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd October 2011 at 14:00.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:05   #5999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you upgrade your radio firmware along with new 2.3.5?
Thanks for replying, and sorry for the ignorant answer I am about to give..

The firmware file was downloaded from samfirmware.com and had only one tar file. I just used that one file to upgrade though odin.

Does the radio have to be updated seperately? What should I do now?

My problem is exactly the same as this guys
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:19   #6000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, Android is the favorite platform for malware writers. 60% of all mobile malware is targeted towards Android (2011).

I attended a session conducted by the VP of McAfee US, a couple of days ago. He showed some examples of apps that seem very friendly, but in reality they steal your personal data and send off to servers in China etc.

One example, an app that gives you call recording feature. The app does that alright, but it saves those files and sends to a server in China. The recording app would be able to extract credit card information from your voice, and save those as text and then send them to the malware author. If you use IVR, then it would record what you have punched in and send that to the author.

The best part is the permissions that seem legitimate are more than enough for the app to steal and send information. So, just looking at the permissions will not give any clues to the true damage potential of the application.
He also showed some apps which can steal your contact details and send them off to someone.

Android is very popular and hence the best target!

More apps that you download translates to higher risk.

Last edited by S_U_N : 3rd October 2011 at 15:21.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks